Unreliable elections still happening in Florida, Supporters of Democracy take note

Old April 20th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Chris the Liberal

Default Unreliable elections still happening in Florida, Supporters of Democracy take note

"Gabe" wrote in message link.net...
It seems to me that people from every place but Florida are trying to tell
Florida how to count their ballots. Worry about your own state and let
Florida worry about theirs.

We have.
We have a system where voters blacken the ovals; the machine reads
by mark-sensing AND the ballots are retained for checking when necessary.

You seem to forget that what happens in Florida affects all of us.
They participate in the election of the president and vicepresident,
elect senators and congressmen.
and you think we have NO interest in that????

I think we learned in 2000 that people of Florida are INCOMPETENT
to hold an election, perhaps CRIMINALLY so.
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Chris the Liberal

Hatunen wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:39:34 GMT, "Gabe"
wrote:

It seems to me that people from every place but Florida are trying to tell
Florida how to count their ballots. Worry about your own state and let
Florida worry about theirs.

When it directly affects who MY next president will be or which
party will control the House and the Senate it's my worry, too.

They can elect their governor using pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey
methods, as far as I'm concerned.

Hell they didn't use pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey;
they ELECTED the donkey.
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:25 PM
alohacyberian

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
"alohacyberian" wrote in message

LOL! Your lame attempt to damn the entire United States because of

the
activities of one American corporation is laughable.

What is sad is that you belive your two party only system is democracy!

you
are a Republic, not a democracy.

True ... there are no "pure" democracies. "Representative
republic" has morphed into "democracy".

And of course "republic" means "representative" so the term is not only
redundant, it's the usual political double-talk. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old April 20th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Chris the Liberal

"Gabe" wrote in message link.net...
Yes you do Lynn. And little old ladies in Palm Beach registering their dogs
to vote is a problem and needs to be stopped. Registration needs to be
tightened. How do you propose we do that?
Btw I have been involved as a volunteer and as a committeewoman in a major
party in this state for over 25 years.
And to the person who says it directly affects who will be your President,
the President is not elected by popular vote. There doesn't even have to be
a Presidential election. All that is necessary is to vote for electors.

We are all aware that the president is not elected by popular vote.
But your remark suggests you are ignorant of the fact that the ELECTORS
who DO elect the president ARE elected by popular vote.
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Lynn Ditto

"Chris the Liberal" wrote in message
om...
"Gabe" wrote in message

link.net...
Yes you do Lynn. And little old ladies in Palm Beach registering their

dogs
to vote is a problem and needs to be stopped. Registration needs to be
tightened. How do you propose we do that?
Btw I have been involved as a volunteer and as a committeewoman in a

major
party in this state for over 25 years.
And to the person who says it directly affects who will be your

President,
the President is not elected by popular vote. There doesn't even have

to be
a Presidential election. All that is necessary is to vote for electors.

We are all aware that the president is not elected by popular vote.
But your remark suggests you are ignorant of the fact that the ELECTORS
who DO elect the president ARE elected by popular vote.

But they don't have to be - they could be appointed by a governor or the
legislature.

Lynn

Old April 21st, 2004, 12:42 AM
Miguel Cruz

Chris the Liberal wrote:
"alohacyberian" wrote:
Yes, the results can be verified provided the selections are printed out
on a sheet of paper for checking after balloting.

Checking by whom???
If the machine prints out the actual ballot and the voter is invited
to examine it before putting it into the box...that might work.

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work - and pretty much the only way to do
trustworthy electronic voting, unless you issue everyone with crypto keys
and somehow train them in key hygiene.

miguel
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:20 AM
alohacyberian

"john grove" wrote in message
om...
"alohacyberian" wrote in message

"Alan A" wrote in message
mmmm yes,
Enron, plus the other sharks who have stiffed millions,

LOL! Your lame attempt to damn the entire United States because of the
activities of one American corporation is laughable. What about the

millions
of other American corporations that aren't run by crooked executives?

Most of them are privately held. Among the Fortune 500 you have MCI,
Adelphia, Lucent, Boeing
Nortel, and many others who commited either stock price manipulations
or consumer
swindles. One would expect better behavior from large organizations
run by seasoned
college graduates!
JG

Out of the Fortune 500 you're wetting yourself over five? That's 1%? Then by
all means, invest in the other 496. No, better yet, a person of your acumen
should put his under a mattress manufactured by a good collective. KM