From Vienna to Sofia (via a western sightseeing route or an eastern???)

Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
WPB

Default From Vienna to Sofia (via a western sightseeing route or an eastern???)

Hello, all: I've put up a couple of postings and everyone's been very
generous with their valuable advice for my upcoming trip. Next month I
leave for Vienna and then three weeks later return home from Sofia. No
plans at all yet for the points in between.

A number of people in this newsgroup gave me very good suggested
itineraries. They tended to go from Vienna to Sofia via an eastern route
(Hungary: Budapest and Eger) and Serbia.

But I got some guide books from the library on Slovenia, Croatia and
Bosnia--the western route. So many beautiful places to see. Dubrovnik and
Sarajevo look wonderful. I could focus on these countries, then travel
quickly through Serbia to end up in Bulgaria (for five or six days there)

So my question is: would people recommend one route over the other?
Western vs. eastern? Of course, that depends on my tastes which leans
toward old city centers, markets, Roman ruins and beautiful scenery (as
opposed to shopping, nightlife and beaches).

Also, would the train and bus transportation be more reliable on either the
western route or the eastern route? I'm assuming the hotel and restaurant
prices would be pretty much the same all over the region.

So once again many thanks in advance for any advice. Whichever route would
almost certainly be wonderful, but it's my first vacation in years and I'd
like to have as much information as possible so I can make the best
choices.

Thanks again!

David in Toronto
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"WPB" wrote in message
[...]

Both routes are very different and each merit 3 weeks (or longer) in their
own right.
The western route takes in more capital cities, basically travelling down
the Danube.
The eastern route is definitely more scenic - Adriatic coast, mountains and
more of a Muslim influence.

Prices (food and accommodation) on the eastern route will be somewhat
cheaper, and whilst transportation is pretty reliable throughout the region,
it is probably a little slower (and perhaps a tad more complicated,
involving more buses & perhaps some ferries) on the eastern route.

You might, perhaps, consider the following option: Vienna, hydrofoil to
Bratislava, train to Budapest, overnight train to Sarajevo & Mostar, train
to Ploce, bus to Dubrovnik, bus to Bar (Montenegro), daytime train to
Belgrade, overnight train to Sofia. This is just about "do-able" in 3 weeks.

Have fun!

Gerry

Old September 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:
"WPB" wrote in message
[...]

does a train from Bar to Beograd still exist ??

I personally took the train from Ploce to Beograd..
Sarajevo to Beograd..
bus from Mostar to Sarajevo ( If I well remember it was full.. was difficult
to get a ticket)
Also
train Budapest Subotica
Subotica Beograd

Beograd Sofia

trains were fast only from Beograd to Budapest.
Beograd Sofia diesel train with single narrow gauge.

Old September 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"tile" wrote in message

does a train from Bar to Beograd still exist ??

It certainly does - it's the most scenic route in the Balkans, taking you
over the Kolasin viaduct, the highest railway bridge in the world.

See http://paul-steane-europe.fotopic.net/p29142688.html

There are 5 trains per day, with a journey time of ca. 9 hours.

Gerry

Old September 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

"
But I got some guide books from the library on Slovenia, Croatia and
Bosnia--the western route. So many beautiful places to see. Dubrovnik
and
Sarajevo look wonderful.

I was curious as to why you didn't mention Dubrovnik in your other e-mail.
It's breathtakingly beautiful, and a must if you're in the neighborhood.

could focus on these countries, then
travel quickly through Serbia to end up in Bulgaria (for five or six
days there) So my question is: would people recommend one route over the
other?
Western vs. eastern? Of course, that depends on my tastes which
leans toward old city centers, markets, Roman ruins and beautiful
scenery (as opposed to shopping, nightlife and beaches).

Ok -- you have to go to Plovdiv in Bulgaria if you want Roman ruins.

I personally took the train from Ploce to Beograd..
Sarajevo to Beograd..
bus from Mostar to Sarajevo ( If I well remember it was full.. was
difficult to get a ticket)

It was full and HOT the day I did this. Take water.

Seriously, if you haven't travelled in this area before, don't except modern
transportation facilities. Old buses, old trains, squat toilets, no air
conditioning, etc. Not Budapest and Vienna of course, but further south.
It's all part of travelling, but a little research and lots of patience can
avoid surprises. I'm really in love with the Balkans, and part of the
attraction is getting away from the fast-paced, over sanitized, high tech,
politically correct world I have to live in. Your trip sounds wonderful; I
wish I could go with you :-)

Old September 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

WPB wrote:
[...]

of all the towns that you want to see.. I would say Sarajevo is the one you
should not miss
It was the town of the 4 religions living together.. with the biggest mosque
in Europe ( of Course. the Blue mosque in Istanbul is bigger.. )
then I would say :
Budapest is the second best for monuments.
Beograd and Subotica boast something noteworthy ( Beograd has a Turkish part
and Subotica has an old castle )
Eger is a small town famous for its wine. a castle and a minaret..
Mostar boasts its famous bridge
Dubrovnik is the old venetian town of Ragusa.. so its historical centre
recalls to yr memory venetian palaces. this part of Croatia has been Italy
till the end of the second world war.
Of course I did not mention Vienna. I have been there for the 20th time a
few months ago. and three days were not enough. Again. I recommen Hotel
Prinz Eugen and the Vienna Card. that enables you to travel on all public
services free of charge for three days. (Plus rebates to Museums, Airport
shuttle.. and so on )
you will need at least 2 days in Budapest.
maybe half a day in Szentendre.. a few kms from Budapest.
I recommend the old Abbey of Melk about 60 kms from Vienna.
You can take the train from Vienna and then a boat from Melk to Vienna on
the Danube. Mayerling might be another curiosity.
Again. you can take a boat from Vienna to Bratislava Budapest.
wherever you might sleep. it cannot cost more than 100 eur per night for a
double room.. Vienna Budapest and Beograd being the most expensive.
Food will be the cheap part of the trip.. You cannot spend more than 15 eur
for a good meal in Vienna Budapest and so on.. unless they cheat you
if you want my opinion. Start from Vienna. There are the usual London buses
that will take you almost everywhere for half day trips. In the night you
might go to Prater or take a shuttle train to Bratislava.. where you can
enjoy Slovak kitchen and a good bier.
To tell you the truth I do not like Budapest too much. but it is worth a
couple of days.
One day in Eger
One day in Subotica
One day in Beograd
One day or two in Sarajevo including Mostar
I have been to Sofia only in transit to Thessaloniki or Istanbul.. so I
cannot say anything

If you like ancient monuments.. the other way through Slovenia Croatia and
Bosnia cannot be that interesting.
but you might well study guide books and Internet

Old September 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
WPB

I think that the problem is going to be too much to see in too little
time. Clearly I can't do both the western route AND the eastern route
in the three weeks I've got. I'm really torn about which way to go.
Your suggested itinerary sounds wonderful, though. People are a bit
down on Bratislava in this newsgroup I think so I think I'd go directly
to Budapest from Vienna via train. The overnight train sounds like a
good idea and would certainly save money and get me from point A to
point B quickly enough. I've never done an overnight train, though.
Somehow I imagine it wouldn't be like 007 in a large suite with
Bollinger RD champagne on ice. But I love trains and it sounds
intriguing.

One thing I have to do for this trip is adjust my expectations. When I
took trains in Japan there would be a digital clock at the front of the
car. So, say, the train was supposed to leave at two o'clock. The
digital clock would click down 13:59:58 . . . 13:59:59 . . . 14:00:00.
The SECOND it hit two o'clock the train pulled out. I love when things
run on time.

I can't have a mindset like that in eastern Europe when it comes to
trains and buses!

Thanks for the great advice!

David

Old September 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
WPB

Hi, Sarah:

I was curious as to why you didn't mention Dubrovnik in your other
e-mail. It's breathtakingly beautiful, and a must if you're in the
neighborhood.

I had always considered the eastern route, but then got guide books on
the western route and was blown away by the photographs. Everyone in
this newsgroup is going on and on about Dubrovnik and Sarajevo. It
sounds wonderful.

Ok -- you have to go to Plovdiv in Bulgaria if you want Roman ruins.

Gerry in my other postings said of Plovdiv "there's nothing there."
Maybe he's just not that interested in Roman ruins. I love them so will
definitely visit Plovdiv.

Seriously, if you haven't travelled in this area before, don't except
modern transportation facilities. Old buses, old trains, squat
toilets, no air conditioning, etc. Not Budapest and Vienna of course,
but further south. It's all part of travelling, but a little research
and lots of patience can avoid surprises. I'm really in love with the
Balkans, and part of the attraction is getting away from the
fast-paced, over sanitized, high tech, politically correct world I
have to live in. Your trip sounds wonderful; I wish I could go with
you :-)

Thanks! No, as I just wrote in another posting I will definitely go
with proper expectations and not expect the precisely on the second
departure for trains that I found so wonderful in Japan. I agree with
you that the whole point of travelling is to see another part of the
world and experience something different. So if I have to take a train
that leaves 2 hours late and has a herd of goats on it, then so be it!
;-)

Thanks again!

David
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
WPB

Thank you so much for such a thorough and informative reply! Your
recommendations are great in that some of them (like Szentendre and
Melk) definitely sound like they're off the beaten path. I like travels
like that. Spare me the Starbucks and McDonalds.

Vienna I'll probably cut short because I've been there before and have
seen most of the highlights. I'm only starting my trip there because of
a big Van Gogh drawings exhibition at the Albertina that I want to see.
Don't get me wrong--I love Vienna. But it's all of these other places
and countries I've never set foot in that get the travel butterflies
going in my stomach.

Thanks again so much to you and everyone in this newsgroup kind enough
to take time out of their valuable day and give me this much appreciated
advice!

David

"tile" wrote in
:

Old September 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

WPB wrote:
[...]

and do not forget Burek sandwich.. in all countries were Turkey was ruling

sooo. Sarajevo.. then of course.. Beograd.. and of course Mostar

I remember from Sarajevo to Beograd the train stopped for I do not know for
what reason. a couple of hours..
and people were offering these BUREK.. they were wonderful.

Melk is an old Abbey ( the most important Abbey in Austria actually ) and
you can easily reach it in about 90 minutes from Vienna by train

a famous film about a treasure trove was partially filmed in this Abbey.. is
the library.. maybe you have watched this movie.

In Beograd there is also a Turkish part of the town. and the town is built
on the intersection of two rivers. Danube is one of them

Szentendre is about 15 minutes from Budapest. there is an important orthodox
church with annexed museum..
It was an old roman town. called Ulcisa Castra
another roman town near Vienna is Petronell Carnuntum. with a few ruins

Sarajevo is the town of the tolerance with four religions
The legend say that a jewish rabbi. escaping from the persecution fo the
Inquisition in Spain. had to choose between leaving behing his wife or
Thorah. so he left his wife behind and brought Thorah to sarajevo
another legend says two brothers were priests of two different religion..
one was muslim and one was catholic.
In the old part of Sarajevo you will see a lot of people drinking turkish
coffee and eating Kospice ( sunflowers seed.. ) or pumpkin seeds.
People normally are very nice. chances are that you will be offered a drink
of rakia if you are in a local restaurant
The name Sarajevo comes from Saraj.. the place caravans were stopping
Normally these sarajs were placed at about 29 kms from each other.. that was
the distance a caravan would cover in one day.
Sarajs normally have the same structure.. a closed building with a big
garden. Rooms would be on the second floors. in the garden space would be
reserved for animals and merchandise.
all over the silk road you will find these sarays..some have them have been
restored . and some of them are hotels now.
Thanks God. the new part of Sarajevo suffered a lot during the war.. but the
old part was left untouched.
while the Mostar bridge was destroyed by Croatians.. and was recently buing
rebuilt.