Which is best Motel Chain for extended trip to the US.

Old June 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
BobT

Default Which is best Motel Chain for extended trip to the US.

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 01:22:28 GMT, (Neville MADDEN)
wrote:

Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental car and
staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8, Days Inn
eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who offers the
best deal over an extended period.

I average around 80 nights/year in assorted low/mid-range US motels.
One thing I've learned is you can't tell much by the name on the
motel, much less by the chain it belongs to.

There are several major chains. For example, Choice Hotels includes
Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn, and others. Wyndham
(formerly Cendant) includes Ramada, Super8, Days Inn, and others.
Just because a motel you stay in one night is superb (or terrible)
means absolutely nothing about another motel, same name, just down the
road.

If you are planning on booking everything online in advance, I don't
have much advice for you. I rarely book ahead, due to the nature of
my travels (although sometimes I book around noon for the night). This
permits a selection to be made after some inspection of a motel (you
can check out rooms while they are being cleaned just by walking in
and looking, for example).

One things to check. Most of these motels offer free wireless (or
sometimes wired) "high speed" internet access, and free local phone
calls. More expensive hotels/motels often charge for these services.
A few mid price chains (Red Roof, for example, unless they have
changed in the last 3 months) usually charge for internet access.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kulp

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:02:06 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

"Neville MADDEN" wrote in message
news

Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental car
and
staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8, Days
Inn
eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who offers
the
best deal over an extended period.

Thanks

Rosemarie and Neville in Australia

Are you hoping to find a deal like: stay in " Motel 6 for $75/night for 21
nights" and then travel the country using that quote ?

If so, MOST ( not all) motels are independently owned - not part of a
conglomerate. As such , each has their own rate. So if you want 21
different motels, usually there are 21 different transactions. I've done a
lot of driving trips on both coasts and my opinion: stay FAR,FAR away from
Super8. I have stayed at a few - when there was NO other place around and
the weather was bad. In the last one, the floors were SO dirty we left our
shoes on at all times - even middle of night - to go to bathroom.

I think that you were unlucky

On the few occasions that I have stayed in a Super8 the quality has been
streets ahead of the other budget chains.

tim

They generally are good, but fact is, you generally get the best deal
by getting on the internet and going to www.hotwire.com and
www.priceline.com--where you bid for the best which would work since
you have a car. Have always saved a ton that way.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
h.kight

Google "extended stay motels" and avoid Motel 6.

"Neville MADDEN" wrote in message
news

Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental car and
staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8, Days
Inn
eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who offers
the
best deal over an extended period.

Thans

Rosemarie and Neville in Australia

Old June 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MTV[_2_]

John Kulp wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:16:17 GMT, (Neville MADDEN)
wrote:

In article , "Graham Harrison" wrote:
Are you planning to visit any National Parks particularly in the west (e.g.
Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite)? All of the accommodation *in* each
park is run by a single company and (in my experience) never by a chain.
The chains are usually to be found just outside the park entrance (but not
always - I seem to remember Lassen doesn't have that) and my memory is that
you usually get Best Western level motels in such groupings. I prefer to
stay inside the parks but then you need to book in advance (and in many
cases that means months (even many months) not weeks or days).

Good morning,

Yes, with the itinerary we have planned (3rd trip so I know where I don't want
to go) all the National Parks will be included. But,as you say, accommodation
inside the park is limited but by purchasing a long term park ticket it gives
us the flexibility to come and go when we want and stay outside at the cheaper
rates.

Neville

I don't know your age, but if one of you is a senior you can get a
lifetime senior pass covering an entire car for $10.

And it's good for all nat'l parks and monuments, museums, etc.

Marv
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Big Kev

Gidday.

O/P is an Aussie. The Seniors pass is available to US citizens only.

However, he would get good value from an Annual pass which allows car entry
(for up to 4 ppl) for $80/yr.

Pass can be purchased on line or at first park you enter.

Big Kev phil at lakeeildon dot com

The pass you mention is for US citizens only."John Kulp"
wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:16:17 GMT, (Neville MADDEN)

Old June 19th, 2009, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Neville MADDEN wrote:
Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental car and
staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8, Days Inn
eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who offers the
best deal over an extended period.

Nearly all motel chains are "virtual" with the corporation not owning
any of the properties. The owner of the property signs up with a
specific chain. In theory, the property is supposed to maintain
standards set by the motel chain, in reality this often doesn't happen.
Staying in a great Days Inn in one city means nothing in terms of how
good or bad the Days Inn in the next city will be. Best bet is to check
hotel reviews on-line for specific motels.

You get the best deals on motels by using those coupon magazines found
in motels, restaurants, and rest stops, but there's no advanced
reservations allowed. They are also online,
"http://www.roomsaver.com/flashguide.php". Basically these are deals the
motels will give walk-ins if they can't sell all the rooms with advanced
reservations at a higher price. However you have the risk of every motel
in the area being sold out, especially if it's a holiday weekend or if
there is some special event going on (i.e. college football games in
college towns).

All that said, I've had the best experiences with La Quinta. I've only
been in one La Quinta that was dumpy.
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

wrote:

Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental car and
staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8, Days Inn
eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who offers the
best deal over an extended period.

Thans

Rosemarie and Neville in Australia

You can try going to
www.tripadvisor.com to get some reviews of
different places. It's not perfect but it can give you a general idea
of each individual location although there may not be reviews of each
motel especially in small towns.