Billings Montana no Wally Docking

Old August 1st, 2005, 11:56 PM
Bruce Weaver

Bob Hatch wrote:
"Rtavi" wrote in message
news
Montana town threatening to outlaw freebie overnight "camping"
Billings, MT is threatening to enforce a section of city code
prohibiting overnight RV camping except in licensed campgrounds. The
law in question has been on the books since at least 1967. It says:
"It is unlawful for any person to park any motor vehicle for camping
purposes in the city except in an authorized tourist park." When the
owners of several RV parks complained last summer that RVs were
illegally parking overnight in the two Wal-Mart lots in Billings,
city officials met with Wal-Mart representatives. As a result,
Wal-Mart posted signs in its lots informing patrons that it was
against the law to park there overnight. In addition, the stores
agreed to have their security guards put fliers explaining the law
under the windshield wipers of any RVs parked at Wal-Mart for more
than four hours after 9 p.m. or at any time past 2 a.m. But that has
been the extent of enforcing the law. City code enforcement officers
have not yet issued any citations. RVers who would like to comment on
this issue can email Billings Mayor Charles Tooley at
SOURCE: Billings Gazette.
I will therefore be sure not to spend any cash there next summer.

Boy oh boy, thanks for the heads up. Billings is off my list, as is all of
Montana and all neighboring states. Idaho, Wyoming, North and South Dakota.
All gone. Only gonna visit places I can freeload.

Could you post the list of freeload plces......my list is too
short.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
Bob Hatch

"Bruce Weaver" wrote in message

Boy oh boy, thanks for the heads up. Billings is off my list, as is
all of Montana and all neighboring states. Idaho, Wyoming, North and
South Dakota. All gone. Only gonna visit places I can freeload.

Could you post the list of freeload plces......my list is too
short.

Nope, I charge for the list.
--
"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I have stayed alive."

Old August 2nd, 2005, 03:04 AM
Rtavi

In the last year I have stopped exactly 1 time at a Wal-Mart. However I
wish to be free to do so if the Wal-Mart in question freely allows me to.
The reason I post this information is that "the only thing needed for evil
men to succeed is for good men to do nothing?" Remember Wal-mart is the one
who freely offered RVs the use of their property for overnight stops and
third parties are trying for their own interests to prevent Wal-Mart from
utilizing its property as it sees fit. Obviously Wal-Mart finds it
profitable and not too much trouble to allow stopovers. If they didn't they
could ban overnighting on their own property and be completely within their
rights to do so. I would have no complaint with that -although a
convenience for many would be lost. However, when bureaucrats bow to
pressure groups to limit anyone's freedom for their private monetary gain we
all lose. If you do not wish to know what is going on simply ignore or
killfile my posts it doesn't bother me. However I appreciate anyone who
gives me useful information. I have 2 months to travel each summer and I can
choose where to spend my money during that time. I choose to acquire
information that allows me to spend my money in areas which I feel are more
friendly to RVs. If anyone chooses to reward restrictive environments by
going there and spending their money do so! I would never deny you the
freedom to behave foolishly. On the other hand if small tyrannies are not
resisted they soon spread and if people don't make their disapproval of
restrictions clear only the pressure groups will be heard and will
eventually prevail everywhere

Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:49 AM
Michel Talbot

Bob Hatch a écrit:

Nope, I charge for the list.

http://www.walmart.com/ :-)

Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:32 AM
The Dead Senator

Rtavi wrote:
[...]

/rant_on

The tyranny of Walmart has no altruistic reason for you to camp on their
lot. They allow you to camp in their concrete campground for one reason
and one reason only:

So they can sell you cheap (Chinese) crap and lots of junk food. They
simply want your money. That is all.

Do not lionize Wally as they are not deserving of your praise.

Yes, I hate Walmart. I could go on, but...

/rant_off
Old August 2nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Opus-

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:32:27 -0700, The Dead Senator
spake thusly:

Rtavi wrote:
[...]

Tyranny????

So they can sell you cheap (Chinese) crap and lots of junk food. They
simply want your money. That is all.

You say that like it's a bad thing. They aren't forcing anybody to
walk in their doors. Walmart's motives were never a secret.

Do not lionize Wally as they are not deserving of your praise.

I saw no praise in the above post.

Yes, I hate Walmart. I could go on, but...

Why hate Walmart? Their actions, with regards to making a profit,
sound pretty American to me. Nothing wrong with that.

/rant_off

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
OsiTech.Net

Sure, David Letterman insert rolling eyes

"Claim Guy" wrote in message

"OsiTech.Net" wrote in message
You are doing a great job Sir, keep us informed.

Very poor comeback.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:55 AM
The Dead Senator

Opus- wrote:
/rant_on

The tyranny of Walmart has no altruistic reason for you to camp on their
lot. They allow you to camp in their concrete campground for one reason
and one reason only:

Tyranny????

Yes, tyranny. Economic tyranny.

So they can sell you cheap (Chinese) crap and lots of junk food. They
simply want your money. That is all.

You say that like it's a bad thing. They aren't forcing anybody to
walk in their doors. Walmart's motives were never a secret.

It is a bad thing. They aren't forcing you, but they also aren't
telling you the truth. People need to wake up. Wally alone has over
$18 billion in direct Chinese inventory. Many of the other products
purchased from "American" companies are from China, too. These are not
counted in that inventory. 70-80% of the goods within it's walls are
Chinese. Check next time you're there (I hope never). If they had $250
billion in sales last year, that means ~$185 billion went to China.
Wow. They are funneling the Wally-shopping American paychecks straight
to China. This is not good.

Do not lionize Wally as they are not deserving of your praise.

I saw no praise in the above post.

It sounded like indirect praise to me. I wanted to be sure folks
understand why Wallyworld lets campers camp out front. It isn't just to
be nice to RVers.

Yes, I hate Walmart. I could go on, but...

Why hate Walmart? Their actions, with regards to making a profit,
sound pretty American to me. Nothing wrong with that.

Okay, you asked...

Profit is one thing, all out greed is another. Remember when Sam
bragged about selling American products? They've come a long way from
that. They are now funding the Chinese worker and their
companies/government instead of our own. Do I sound like a
Protectionist? Yes. For good reason. Walmart is our leading exporter
of American money and jobs. Does Walmart care about America? Only so
far as Americans spend money there.

Here's more food for thought:
Walmart (which also runs Sam's Club) has long been known to move into
an area, soak up the money with cheap prices till the Mom-n-Pop stores
have to shut down, then when Mom-n-Pop (and family) move to better
pastures, the Walmart revenue dries up. Wally then pulls up stakes and
goes elsewhere. Community destroyed. This is why there is a non-prfit
group that follows Walmart around the country helping communities to try
and stop the contruction of new stores. Thankfully, sometimes they are
succesful.
Walmart's suppliers are forced to drop prices further and further to
support the Happy Face's pricing model of lower and lower prices. This
causes the supplier to make cutbacks such as laying off workers in the
supply chain, cutting wages and outsourcing jobs to factories in other
countries and furthering unemployment in the area of the suppliers. If
suppliers don't comply, they're cut off and will probably wither and die
since the bulk of their sales go to Wally. It has happened (Vlasic,
Apex, etc).
The workers that get the privilege to work for Wally get lower wages
and benefits that also lower the local areas standards of employment.
Workers at other stores/companies get lower wages, benefits and raises
as a result. I haven't even mentioned the abuses and wrongs levied on
many of the workers. Wally always sidesteps the legal issues or pays
out while admitting no wrong-doing (a tactic by all too many companies
these days).
There is plenty more. Do a Google search and you'll see it for
yourself. Walmart is not the only company that employs these practices,
they just the largest abuser and the best at it. We have to start
somewhere.

Instead, shop locally if at all possible. Think of the community and
what makes it unique. I enjoy buying from unique stores in different
areas of the country. Walmart (and others) make everything this
milktoast sameness that inspires nothing. Support Mom-n-Pop. Local
produce. Local dairies. Local hardware stores. Try not to buy it if
it's made in China (I understand the difficulty here and yes, I own
Chinese products, too). You may pay more, but there is much solace in
knowing that the money is staying local and not lining some company or
government's pocket in China. I don't hate China, but I do love my
country. Let's start fixing some of what ails us.

Sorry for the long post. Best regards.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:23 AM
Ken Harrison

Very well put. You could have added how WalMart treated the Canadian
employees who attempted to form a union; the company simply closed that
department and fired the employees. So much for dialogue between
employer and employee.

Ken H