Which European cities are like this?

Old May 31st, 2005, 09:08 PM
brett

Default Which European cities are like this?

I'd like to know which European cities might be similar to:
- Paris
- Pisa
- Zurich

By that I mean:
- safe
- not very crammed and crazy traffic
- many pedestrian streets (nice all around walking)
- dotted with neat cafes
- not all the pushy people trying to sell this and asking for that
- not likely you'll have your items snatched up if you put them down by
your feet
- more or less clean

One type of city I'd like to avoid is something like Rome. Meaning:
- crammed with people
- crazy traffic
- not very easy to get around as a pedestrian
- run over with pushy people selling and asking for everything
- extremely dirty
- your stuff will be snatched up if you place them down at your feet

Comments are welcome. Thanks.

Brett

Old May 31st, 2005, 09:30 PM
Edmund Lewis

brett wrote:
I'd like to know which European cities might be similar to:
- Paris
- Pisa
- Zurich

By that I mean:
- safe
- not very crammed and crazy traffic

Paris- not very crammed and crazy traffic?
- many pedestrian streets (nice all around walking)
- dotted with neat cafes
- not all the pushy people trying to sell this and asking for that
- not likely you'll have your items snatched up if you put them down by
your feet
- more or less clean

Try Scandinavia- Copenhagen, Stockholm spring to mind.

One type of city I'd like to avoid is something like Rome. Meaning:
- crammed with people
- crazy traffic
- not very easy to get around as a pedestrian
- run over with pushy people selling and asking for everything
- extremely dirty
- your stuff will be snatched up if you place them down at your feet

Amsterdam, Barcelona (though try and bear it, that's worth visiting as
I'm sure Rome is), Marseille.

I've just given the most obvious cases- the vast majority are somewhere
in between; often as with London changing between neighbourhoods.

Edmund

Old May 31st, 2005, 09:47 PM
Dave Smith

brett wrote:

I'd like to know which European cities might be similar to:
- Paris
- Pisa
- Zurich

By that I mean:
- safe
- not very crammed and crazy traffic
- many pedestrian streets (nice all around walking)
- dotted with neat cafes
- not all the pushy people trying to sell this and asking for that
- not likely you'll have your items snatched up if you put them down by
your feet
- more or less clean

One type of city I'd like to avoid is something like Rome. Meaning:
- crammed with people
- crazy traffic
- not very easy to get around as a pedestrian
- run over with pushy people selling and asking for everything
- extremely dirty
- your stuff will be snatched up if you place them down at your feett

Copenhagen

In Germany:
Lubeck
Garmsiche Partenkirchen
Baden Baden

France:
Nice
Reims
Strasbourg

Holland:
Breda

Old May 31st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Dave Smith

Edmund Lewis wrote:

By that I mean:
- safe
- not very crammed and crazy traffic

Paris- not very crammed and crazy traffic?

LOL So true. I have done a lot of driving in my life, but I would not even
consider driving in Paris. It wasn't too fad coming in from the east and
using the expressways to get to the airport to drop off the rental car.
Perhaps the outer fringes of the city are a little more organized and
civilized, but driving in the downtown area is crazy. The main streets are
the connections between the little hamlets that eventually became Paris. It
is a complex web where main streets go a short distance and then change
names. And parking? Good luck.

Try Scandinavia- Copenhagen, Stockholm spring to mind.

I second Copenhagen. It is a very attractive city, not too big, not hard to
find your way around it. I found Danish drivers to be the most sensible,
courteous drivers I have ever shared a road with.

Old May 31st, 2005, 09:57 PM
brett

Thanks. I was wanting to visit Amsterdam but if its like Rome, I might
try other places first. I was originally thinking Amsterdam then train
to some where in Bavaria and walking through the smaller villages.

How is Austria? Perhaps Austria then to Bavaria by train. Do either
of those meet the better set of the above conditions?

Brett

Old May 31st, 2005, 10:08 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"Edmund Lewis" wrote:

brett wrote:
I'd like to know which European cities might be similar to:
- Paris
- Pisa
- Zurich

By that I mean:
- safe
- not very crammed and crazy traffic

Paris- not very crammed and crazy traffic?

Fair question.

- many pedestrian streets (nice all around walking)
- dotted with neat cafes
- not all the pushy people trying to sell this and asking for that
- not likely you'll have your items snatched up if you put them down by
your feet
- more or less clean

Try Scandinavia- Copenhagen, Stockholm spring to mind.

Add Budapest, if you are prepared to compromise just a little on
cleanliness; Madrid, ditto; Bologna.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:12 PM
irwell

On 31 May 2005 13:08:59 -0700, "brett" wrote:

[...]

Wigan, it also has a very nice pier.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:26 PM
GG

"brett" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is Amsterdam worth visiting than? If I never go back to Rome, I don't
feel as though I'm missing anything.

I think you have to ask yourself why you travel. Do you want to visit a
city because there are things you want to see and do there that are unique
to that city? If so, are they sufficiently important to you that they
outweigh any negatives you expect to encounter there? I've spent time in
quite a few places I found very expensive (dirty, inconvenient, unfriendly,
mildly unsafe, etc.), but I don't regret the visits at all because, on
balance, I was able to see and do things that were important and enriching
to me.

GG

Old May 31st, 2005, 10:36 PM
DerekF

"irwell" wrote in message
[...]

But it rains a lot.
Derek.

Old May 31st, 2005, 10:43 PM
Edmund Lewis

brett wrote:
Thanks. I was wanting to visit Amsterdam but if its like Rome, I might
try other places first. I was originally thinking Amsterdam then train
to some where in Bavaria and walking through the smaller villages.

How is Austria? Perhaps Austria then to Bavaria by train. Do either
of those meet the better set of the above conditions?

Brett

Munich (Bavaria) generally meets it.

Edmund