Where should I go next?

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:23 PM
ludfer

Default Where should I go next?

I'm Australian. I generally travel alone.

I like mid-level comfort: 3 stars, taxis, some Western food, some local.
Touristy stuff and some relaxation around the pool. $AUD120 ($US95) per day
after airfares and transfers is the normal budget.

I have enjoyed travelling in Thailand, India, Vietnam and The Philippines
because they are exotic and alive and fascinating and, most importantly,
cheap enough to allow me to experience, for weeks at a time, a couple of
times a year, a level of comfort I could not afford in Europe or North
America, or even here in Australia. Cambodia is coming up soon, but I am
already thinking about the trip after that .

Indonesia and Malaysia are obvious targets. A return to the Philippines
looks good. I'd go back to Thailand any time, but that's getting a bit
predictable.

Laos? Sri Lanka? Burma?

My dentist suggested Cuba (yes, I know that's not in Asia, but I'm throwing
this open).

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Miguel Cruz

ludfer wrote:
I'm Australian. I generally travel alone.

I like mid-level comfort: 3 stars, taxis, some Western food, some local.
Touristy stuff and some relaxation around the pool. $AUD120 ($US95) per day
after airfares and transfers is the normal budget.

I have enjoyed travelling in Thailand, India, Vietnam and The Philippines
because they are exotic and alive and fascinating and, most importantly,
cheap enough to allow me to experience, for weeks at a time, a couple of
times a year, a level of comfort I could not afford in Europe or North
America, or even here in Australia. Cambodia is coming up soon, but I am
already thinking about the trip after that .

Morocco? Turkey?

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Tchiowa

Miguel Cruz wrote:
ludfer wrote:
I'm Australian. I generally travel alone.

I like mid-level comfort: 3 stars, taxis, some Western food, some

local.
Touristy stuff and some relaxation around the pool. $AUD120

($US95) per day
after airfares and transfers is the normal budget.

I have enjoyed travelling in Thailand, India, Vietnam and The

Philippines
because they are exotic and alive and fascinating and, most

importantly,
cheap enough to allow me to experience, for weeks at a time, a

couple of
times a year, a level of comfort I could not afford in Europe or

North
America, or even here in Australia. Cambodia is coming up soon,

but I am
already thinking about the trip after that .

Morocco? Turkey?

Everyone should see Fez at least once in their life before they die.
Loved that city.

Old April 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM

You've seen a lot of Asia, why not try something different like Brazil
or South Africa?

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Steve Cain

I like mid-level comfort: 3 stars, taxis, some Western food, some local.
Touristy stuff and some relaxation around the pool. $AUD120 ($US95) per
day after airfares and transfers is the normal budget.

Perhaps to Singapore then a 1 hour ferry ride to Bintan. I think this spot
in Indonesia will do nicely per your requirements. s

Old April 5th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Tchiowa

ludfer wrote:
[...]

Nepal. Stay away from the self-proclaimed "travellers" (translation:
stoned out of their gourds bathe once a month 1960s hippies) and you'll
love Kathmandu. Taipei is worth a trip. PNG is nice but avoid Port
Moresby. Indonesia is more than Indonesia, it's Sumatra, Java, Bali
(again, avoid the "travellers") all with different cultures. Fiji is a
good island vacation. Tokyo and Seoul have their points, but they'll
probably be out of your budget as you describe it (fairly expensive).
Hong Kong is kind of dull. Singapore is excruciatingly dull.

Since you strayed from Asia in your question, how about Morroco (as
Miguel suggested)? That's one of my "must see" countries. You can get
their on a ferry from Algeceiras (sp) using a Eurail Pass. The DR Congo
is opening up. (Stay clear of the Matondo area to avoid the Marburg
virus.)

Old April 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

Hong Kong is kind of dull. Singapore is excruciatingly dull.

Singapore is sterile too.

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM

"Nepal. Stay away from the self-proclaimed "travellers" (translation:
stoned out of their gourds bathe once a month 1960s hippies) and you'll
love Kathmandu."

Nepal is in turmoil and is on the brink of civil war. Strikes,
bombings, and blockades are regular occurences, and Communist rebels
control many of the mountain districts where the trekking routes are.
This is not the time to go there.

"Hong Kong is kind of dull."

It's only dull if you stick to the skyscraper part. There are a lot of
interesting places and things in other parts of the city, in Macau, and
in the "outlying islands".

"Seoul have their points, but they'll probably be out of your budget as
you describe it (fairly expensive)."

Seoul has no good points.

"You can get their on a ferry from Algeceiras (sp) using a Eurail
Pass."

When you consider the cost and time involved in taking a train or bus
to Algeciras and then a ferry to Tangier and then a train to the
interesting parts of Morocco, you might as well just fly directly to
Casablanca.

"Taipei is worth a trip."

Maybe if you've already visited the other 172 countries in the world.

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Tchiowa

"Nepal. Stay away from the self-proclaimed "travellers" (translation:
stoned out of their gourds bathe once a month 1960s hippies) and

you'll
love Kathmandu."

Nepal is in turmoil and is on the brink of civil war. Strikes,
bombings, and blockades are regular occurences, and Communist rebels
control many of the mountain districts where the trekking routes are.
This is not the time to go there.

True. The situation is a bit dicey right now. But I'd still consider
it. Beautiful country. No trekking this week, though.

"Hong Kong is kind of dull."

It's only dull if you stick to the skyscraper part. There are a lot

of
interesting places and things in other parts of the city, in Macau,

and
in the "outlying islands".

Macau isn't in Hong Kong, is it? Macau was much more interesting than
Hong Kong, IMO..

"Seoul have their points, but they'll probably be out of your budget

as
you describe it (fairly expensive)."

Seoul has no good points.

Every place has *some* good points. (Except maybe Singapore.)

"You can get their on a ferry from Algeceiras (sp) using a Eurail
Pass."

When you consider the cost and time involved in taking a train or bus
to Algeciras and then a ferry to Tangier and then a train to the
interesting parts of Morocco, you might as well just fly directly to
Casablanca.

If you're on a Eurrail pass all that extra train, bus cost is already
there. I rented a car in Tangier and drove around.

Casablanca was useless. I had to go there so I could say I'd been
there, but that was about it. Fez is the top attraction.

"Taipei is worth a trip."

Maybe if you've already visited the other 172 countries in the world.

I'd take Taipei over Tokyo or Seoul.