Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

Old June 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

In rec.aviation.piloting wrote:
On Jun 21, 11:14Â*am, "JohnT" wrote:
"a" wrote in message

On Jun 21, 10:55 am, "JohnT" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

. ..

Hatunen writes:

Cessna makes or made (I don't recall the current structure of the
personal aircraft inudstry) some heavier aircraft than the 150s I
used to fly. Including some Jets (the Citation line).

Yes. I fly a Citation X on my trusty sim all the time. But flying jets
is
expensive, and one need not do so for a CPL. Indeed, it might well be
the
other way around: CPL, then jets.

Playing a computer game doesn't make you an expert.
--
JohnT

Perhaps not, John, but I expect the reality is few people flying real
jets in the civilian world are holding only private licenses with the
appropriate type rating.

Now here is a question that really displays my ignorance: what
certificates do military pilots hold? Are those certificates issued by
the FAA?

The RAF.
--
JohnT- Hide quoted text -

Is it the RAF or FAA?

http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8710-1a.pdf

See block B

That's to get your military training recognized by the FAA for a civilian
certificate.

Military pilots flying miltary aircraft have military "certificates", at
least in the US.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
a[_4_]

On Jun 21, 1:54*pm, " wrote:
On Jun 21, 11:14*am, "JohnT" wrote:

"a" wrote in message

On Jun 21, 10:55 am, "JohnT" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

. ..

Hatunen writes:

[...]

I may be misreading that block, but it appears to be a way for a
person with military credentials of some form to apply for civilian
certification.

Old June 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:24:45 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

While a heavy jet is a big sucker with a very complex panel
(although lighter aircraft are now sporting some pretty
compicated-looking electronci panels now) the principals are
basic for any one who has flown a plane for even a short time:
keep it level except coordinated turns. To land glide down to
near stall speed, flare at the runway apron and make it stall
just as the wheels tough the runway.

In an emergency, a person who isn't a pilot certified for the aircraft in
question needs to use the automation, not take the controls manually. The
latter can easily lead to disaster.

I so note further down.

The problem is that you need actual practice in an airplane in order to become
good at handling the controls, or you need to find an expensive, full-motion
simulator for the same purpose. Having experience in a vastly different
airplane won't help you much.

Well, duh. It depends on what you're trying to do.

[Rest of obvious stuff deleted]

Old June 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:26:29 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

Cessna makes or made (I don't recall the current structure of the
personal aircraft inudstry) some heavier aircraft than the 150s I
used to fly. Including some Jets (the Citation line).

Yes. I fly a Citation X on my trusty sim all the time. But flying jets is
expensive,

What ae you saying? That you an't afford the jet software for the
sim?

and one need not do so for a CPL. Indeed, it might well be the
other way around: CPL, then jets.

I'm not sure. I've forgotten. Is a commercial rating required
before you can qualify for an ATR? By the way, you don't need an
ATR to fly a jet.

I wonder if John Travolta has an ATR...?

Old June 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:47:12 -0700 (PDT), a
wrote:

On Jun 21, 10:55*am, "JohnT" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Hatunen writes:

Cessna makes or made (I don't recall the current structure of the
personal aircraft inudstry) some heavier aircraft than the 150s I
used to fly. Including some Jets (the Citation line).

Yes. I fly a Citation X on my trusty sim all the time. But flying jets is
expensive, and one need not do so for a CPL. Indeed, it might well be the
other way around: CPL, then jets.

Playing a computer game doesn't make you an expert.
--
JohnT

Perhaps not, John, but I expect the reality is few people flying real
jets in the civilian world are holding only private licenses with the
appropriate type rating.

It's quite possible that one could have one's own private jet and
fly it with a private license. One would have to have an
endorsement for the jet, however. don't confuse flying a jet with
flying an airliner in airline service, which requires an ATR.

Now here is a question that really displays my ignorance: what
certificates do military pilots hold? Are those certificates issued by
the FAA?

No, I don't believe so.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

JohnT writes:

Playing a computer game doesn't make you an expert.

Neither does flying a real-world Cessna 172.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

It's quite possible that one could have one's own private jet and
fly it with a private license.

Yes, but the fact remains that hardly anyone does this. John Travolta does it.
Arnold Palmer does it, too. Harrison Ford can do it, but I'm not sure if he
actually owns a jet. Lorenzo Lamas simply has a CPL, though (and I don't know
if he owns a jet, either).

Private pilots are a tiny elite to begin with. The ones who are also certified
to fly jets and have their own jets to fly are so rare that they're scarcely
on the radar, QED.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

What ae you saying? That you an't afford the jet software for the
sim?

No, I'm saying that actually flying a jet for real is extremely expensive,
which is one argument in favor of simulation (equally applicable to all types
of flying, actually).

I'm not sure. I've forgotten. Is a commercial rating required
before you can qualify for an ATR?

You can have an ATPL for one type of aircraft, and a CPL for another type, if
you want.

Essentially, you can have one of the following types of pilot license (in the
U.S.):

Student
Sport
Recreational
Private
Commercial
Airline Transport Pilot

and each of these can apply to any combination of various aircraft types, such
as single-engine land airplane, rotorcraft, glider, multi-engine seaplane,
whatever.

By the way, you don't need an ATR to fly a jet.

Or even an ATPL.

I wonder if John Travolta has an ATR...?

He has a 707 and I think at least one other jet. John Travolta is a private
pilot, single and multi-engine land airplane, with an instrument rating--not
an ATP.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Hatunen writes:

What ae you saying? That you an't afford the jet software for the
sim?

No, I'm saying that actually flying a jet for real is extremely expensive,
which is one argument in favor of simulation (equally applicable to all types
of flying, actually).

I guess I should use MSFS for my vacation to Vegas next week and save on
the cost of flying my plane.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:51:05 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

What ae you saying? That you an't afford the jet software for the
sim?

No, I'm saying that actually flying a jet for real is extremely expensive,
which is one argument in favor of simulation (equally applicable to all types
of flying, actually).

I'm not sure. I've forgotten. Is a commercial rating required
before you can qualify for an ATR?

You can have an ATPL for one type of aircraft, and a CPL for another type, if
you want.

Essentially, you can have one of the following types of pilot license (in the
U.S.):

Student
Sport
Recreational
Private
Commercial
Airline Transport Pilot

To be picky, they're actually certificates, not licenses.

and each of these can apply to any combination of various aircraft types, such
as single-engine land airplane, rotorcraft, glider, multi-engine seaplane,
whatever.

I'm not sure what SEL planes an ATR certificate would apply to.

By the way, you don't need an ATR to fly a jet.

Or even an ATPL.

You mean ATPC, I think.

I wonder if John Travolta has an ATR...?

He has a 707 and I think at least one other jet. John Travolta is a private
pilot, single and multi-engine land airplane, with an instrument rating--not
an ATP.

Fascinating. Cite, please?