Hong Kong?

Old October 20th, 2004, 06:11 AM
jacksf

PeterL wrote:

"jacksf" wrote in message
om...

Exactly, I wouldn't think of taking the train. The morning boat ride to
Central is relaxing and prepares me for my day.

You are talking about commuting. The OP is talking about going to business
appointments, as I don't think he was talking about working a job in HK.

SNIP

Nope, am talking about getting from one side to the other. Why fight
the crowds in
the MTR, noise from the trains, etc. Going to appts? Plan ahead.
Touring, forget
the time, just enjoy the ride.

Don't get me wrong, I love the subway system in HK, use it all the time,
just not
to cross the harbor btw, I am a tourist, don't live or work in HK. Be
fun but
just too crazy for me to live there full time

Old October 20th, 2004, 01:31 PM
d b

THANK YOU !!

dan

EAC wrote:

d b wrote in message ...
Hi again,

I wish to very gently bring up the idea of which is
the better place to stay --Kowloon or Hong Kong Island!

It has been many years since I visited HK and remember staying at the
Hyatt Regency in Kowloon. I do not remember anything about logistics
however.

I would like to stay someplace pretty walkable to the Star Ferry as
I will be doing business both in Kowloon and in Hong Kong.

Stay somewhere close to the M.T.R. station, since both the Tsim Sha
Tsui station (Kowloon), the Central station (Hong Kong), and the Wan
Chai station (Hong Kong) are relatively close to the Star Ferry piers,
though the Tsim Sha tsui station and the Wan Chai station is quite a
little bit farther from the Star Ferry piers unlike the Central
station.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/map.p...m_sha_tsui.jpg

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/map.php?mapimg=cen.gif

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/map.p...g=wan_chai.jpg

You can ride the M.T.R. to either both station and then use the ferry
to travel leisurely, then you can use the M.T.R. again if you wish or
use the taxi or the bus.

The M.T.R. travel planner can provide you with many nearby facilities
near the M.T.R. stations, you can see if there's any hotel nearby the
Tsim Sha Tsui station and Central station that is best for you.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/planner_index.php

The following maps also provide the hotels in the nearby area of Tsim
Sha Tsui (Kowloon), Central (Hong Kong), Wan Chai (Hong Kong), and
Hung Hom (Kowloon) where the Star Ferry piers are located.

http://www.hong-kong-hotels-travel.n...m_sha_tsui.htm

http://www.hong-kong-hotels-travel.n...ps/central.htm

http://www.hong-kong-hotels-travel.n...s/wan_chai.htm

http://www.hong-kong-hotels-travel.n...s/hung_hom.htm

http://www.hongkong-hotel-reservatio..._1_detail.html

http://www.hongkong-hotel-reservatio..._2_detail.html

http://www.hongkong-hotel-reservatio..._2_detail.html

I am looking for a relative upscale hotel similar to the Hyatt or better.

Hmmm... An upscale hotel, are your company paying for the travel and
accomodation expenses?

Anyway. Hyatt Regency Hong Kong (Kowloon) and Grand Hyatt Hong Kong
(Hong Kong) are quite close to the Star Ferry piers. I'm sure that you
already know about the Hyatt Regency.

http://hongkong.regency.hyatt.com/

http://hongkong.grand.hyatt.com/

Availability of a nice Harbour view is a plus but not a necessity.

The Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel is practically next door to the Star
Ferry pier at Tsim Sha Tsui, and it also probably offered a good view
of the far away Lantau Island (where they are building the Hong Kong
Disneyland).

http://www.marcopolohotels.com/theho...hotel/map.html

Easy public transportation around the shopping areas etc is desirable.

Well... If it's about "'Public' Transportation" and shopping areas (as
in shopping malls and so on), then staying near at a M.T.R. station is
preferable.

Suggestions?

I thank you in advance (again ) for your gracious direction!

dan

Old October 20th, 2004, 04:49 PM
PeterL

"jacksf" wrote in message
m...

PeterL wrote:

"jacksf" wrote in message
om...

Exactly, I wouldn't think of taking the train. The morning boat ride to
Central is relaxing and prepares me for my day.

You are talking about commuting. The OP is talking about going to

business
appointments, as I don't think he was talking about working a job in HK.

SNIP

Nope, am talking about getting from one side to the other. Why fight
the crowds in
the MTR, noise from the trains, etc. Going to appts? Plan ahead.
Touring, forget
the time, just enjoy the ride.

Don't get me wrong, I love the subway system in HK, use it all the time,
just not
to cross the harbor btw, I am a tourist, don't live or work in HK. Be
fun but
just too crazy for me to live there full time

There is a big difference between being a tourist and being a business
person.