Temporary cell phone for use in Japan?

Old November 16th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Cell Newbie

Thanks Alec. What is the "technology" of these phones? If it is GSM,
will my 900/1800/1900 Nokia work there or do I have to buy a set in
Japan?

Alec wrote:
: ...
: Contrary to some replies, anyone can still buy pre-paid mobile phone in
: Japan (did it myself two weeks ago). Go to a convenience store (AM/PM is
: good) and ask for pre-paid keitai. They should stock Vodafone Enjorno, basic
: set is only 3,990 yen. You have to have a photo ID (foreign passport
: accepted) plus a contact address in Japan (friend, hotel, firm etc). Just
: buy a top-up card for 3 or 5,000 yen and off you go. For longer than a week,
: it's cheaper than rental (rental charge is around 500 yen a day) and phone
: number is valid for 6 months (credit for 2 months)...

Old November 16th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Alec

"Cell Newbie" wrote in message

Thanks Alec. What is the "technology" of these phones? If it is GSM,
will my 900/1800/1900 Nokia work there or do I have to buy a set in
Japan?

It's Japan's 2G system (CDMA) which is incompatible with GSM Nokia you have.
Yes, you have to buy a handset in Japan, but at less than 4,000 yen it's
cheap anyway. http://www.vodafone.jp/scripts/english/top.jsp and click
'Prepaid Service'.

Alec

Alec

Old November 16th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Cell Newbie

Thanks thegoons, John Cummings, EAC, Donald Newcomb, Alec, and Joseph
for your most informative posts. Some of them were late to appear on my
server and I am just seeing them.

Based on all the information, and there is alot of it, it appears to me
that for a 3-week trip I would be better off buying a about temporary
cell phone in Japan rather than renting one.

Is it possible to *buy* one at Narita? If so, can you start using it
right away or is there an "activation" delay?

Fantasizing a little more, is it possible to buy a Japanese phone (used
or new) and/or card while still in the US, so it could be functional as
soon as one arrives? If credit cards are deemed enough security check,
it should be poossible in principle---seems like win-win because they
get their money early and I get my phone early---but I don't know if
anybody has bothered to set it up.

Thanks.

Old November 17th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Donald Newcomb

"Alec" wrote in message
Contrary to some replies, anyone can still buy pre-paid mobile phone in

Japan (did it myself two weeks ago). Go to a convenience store (AM/PM is
good) and ask for pre-paid keitai. They should stock Vodafone Enjorno,

basic
set is only 3,990 yen. You have to have a photo ID (foreign passport
accepted) plus a contact address in Japan (friend, hotel, firm etc).

Let me say that a year ago, you would see hand-lettered English signs in
Japanese cellular agents' windows explaining that you had to have a Japanese
residency card to buy a prepaid phone. While this was contrary to most
carriers' policies which permitted foreign passports to be used as ID, the
word did not seem to make it down to the sales agents. Many Gaijin have
experienced nothing but frustration while trying to buy a Japanese prepaid.
I'm glad to hear that the situation is changing.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old November 17th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Alec

"Donald Newcomb" wrote in message

"Alec" wrote in message
[...]

It may still be the case at network's own shops (Voda, Tu-ka, Au, DoCoMo),
but you can pick up a PAYG set easily at many convenience stores, who aren't
as a rule as fussy over details. I was simply told to make a photocopy of
passport details (they all have copiers), and write down local contact
address. I do speak fluent Japanese though.
There's currently a move in the parliament to ban the sale of pre-paid
phones, as many have allegedly been used in crime. Clearly the production of
ID hasn't prevented its misuse.

Alec