Is this rude to do in Japan ...

Old December 5th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Gerry

In article , Kim_il_Zoom
wrote:

tīs me here again. Theft of shoes, bicycles, caps, dogs, sausages,
fountain pens, snow-shovels, dentures, etc, etc, etc, etc as well as
shoplifting are of course not unheard of in Japan. OTH, I think I can
safely say that such occurrenses are very rare. Again, I have only
been living there for a little over 10 years, so I might be
completely wrong or even bloody wrong.

I believe, from a statistical point of view, that you are correct. In
the USA child molestation is a very tiny percent of crime--it is a
rarity. Nevertheless our fears here escalate the issue to one of
absolute prime importance. Our fear of "street crime" keep us out of
low-income areas where the crime rate, though higher than other areas,
is very rarely "random" or predatory crime and is more related to
burglaries and domestic violence. Nevertheless you can't talk anybody
into going to a restaurant there since they're fearful of the "crime"
they read about in the shrieking headlines.

IMHO, you seem to be slightly overapprehensive regarding Japan; you
donīt seem to grasp the concept that several posters are trying to
convey. If in doubt, stay home, where you are more likely to be
subject to all the lurking dangers you seem to fear.

Absolutely right. I went to Rio and everybody endlessly admonished us
to be fearful--don't wear jewelry, carry a camera, or wear nice clothes
on the street, etc. In the end I was galled that I had spent 15% of my
time wherever we "took a chance" going noting escape routes, looking
for potential assailants, ensuring my wife walked in front of me, etc.
I never encountered the *slightest* difficulty there and ****ed away
vast amounts of energy in anxiety that wasn't necessary. Admittedly I
went to not-so-nice areas as well. Again--nothing but attendance by
the locals. I'm not saying it couldn't happen there, I'm saying that
opportunistic crime is much more a rarity most places in the world than
one would think by watching TV or listening to our barricaded friends
in wealthy societies.

In the USA such fear or even panic is a basic cultaral chit of
exchange. Every middle-income street corner is apparently one that a
pedophile, terrorist, "super-predator", serial-killer or Democrat is
just lurking waiting for human flesh. Better to stay home and see the
world as Rupert Murdoch wants you to see it.

Fortunately in Japan such anxiety is not so widely perpetuated. I've
been in their dark corners of major cities late at night with nothing
but punks and drunks around me and never felt the slightest fear.
Maybe that *too* is disproportionate. If I'm picking delusions, I
prefer the ones that make me feel good and save me time.

Pardon me for being a bit frank and even rude after reading your
numerous buts and ifs, no one will miss you if you don't go to Japan,
but you will definitely miss a lot and, most probably, a wonderful
travel experience!

But it's true that not everybody is invulnerable to cultural/political
fear-mongering. In that case--honestly--perhaps best to go to armed
enclaves, Disney is some of the best, where you can have a pasteurized
experience.

Stop worrying & theorizing, just go and, above all, enjoy!

Or, take a chance--live on the wild side and see how often you are
accomodated and deferred to. Make up your mind about how much crime is
after you lose your shoes.

Once, after fussing with a camera on a public bench we trundled off
taking pictures. Three blocks later and out-of-breath woman galloped
up to us and proffered my lens cap! On three or four occasions we've
had similar circumstances. When leaving a very crowded bus once I stood
up and pushing through a few people, found somebody pulling me back. I
had left my shoulder-bag and they weren't going to let me leave without
it. Whew!

I'm of the belief that Japanese long for such opportunities to
demonstrate their attendance to the common good and their accomodation
for addled outsiders. They may snort about us privately, I don't know.
But they sure do make for a delightful environment.

--
Invest wisely: Over the past 75 years, stocks have averaged annual gains of 2.3
percent under GOP administrations, compared with 9.5 under Democratic ones.

Old December 5th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Kim_il_Zoom

Gerry wrote:
In article , Kim_il_Zoom
wrote:

Itīs me here again. Theft of shoes, bicycles, caps, dogs, sausages,
[...]

Gerry,

I think you read my message loud and clear, thanks!

To make a long story short, Iīd like to tell you the following
story from Japan, which happened to a friend of mine, who was
staying with me for a while. He came back to my house one day
and said that in certain countries, people may stalk you for
hours just to find the right moment to snatch a particular item
from you. "In Japan, it seems to be the other way around".

He had forgotten something somewhere but several hours had passed,
so he gave up the idea of backtracking to possibly find his lost
item. Then, out of the blue came a man who was obviously very happy
to see him. He handed over the missing piece, smiled and said, "It
was difficult, but I found you at last!". Whereupon he just turned
around and left. Thatīs stalking, Japanese style.

I think that the idea of walking around in someone elseīs shoes
which you have stolen is totally alien to any Japanese. Further-
more, I doubt that anyone would buy a pair of second-hand shoes.
That would be my answer regarding the risk of having your shoes
stolen at in Japan at a temple, a restaurant etc.

Best regards,
Kim

Old December 5th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Kim_il_Zoom

Old December 6th, 2004, 12:45 AM
ggg

Gerry wrote:
In article , Kim_il_Zoom
wrote:

tīs me here again. Theft of shoes, bicycles, caps, dogs, sausages,
fountain pens, snow-shovels, dentures, etc, etc, etc, etc as well as
shoplifting are of course not unheard of in Japan. OTH, I think I can
safely say that such occurrenses are very rare. Again, I have only
been living there for a little over 10 years, so I might be
completely wrong or even bloody wrong.

so is Chris Kuan or Beloved Leader right?

I believe, from a statistical point of view, that you are correct. In
the USA child molestation is a very tiny percent of crime--it is a
rarity. Nevertheless our fears here escalate the issue to one of
absolute prime importance. Our fear of "street crime" keep us out of
low-income areas where the crime rate, though higher than other areas,

that's not the case in NYC. Are you talking about a specific place?

is very rarely "random" or predatory crime and is more related to
burglaries and domestic violence. Nevertheless you can't talk anybody
into going to a restaurant there since they're fearful of the "crime"
they read about in the shrieking headlines.

Is this a restaurant in Japan? If nobody wants to go there, how do you
know about it?

IMHO, you seem to be slightly overapprehensive regarding Japan; you
donīt seem to grasp the concept that several posters are trying to

Some of the nonresponses were opinions about that it's not going to
happen which I didn't ask. I asked can I keep my shoes with me.

convey. If in doubt, stay home, where you are more likely to be
subject to all the lurking dangers you seem to fear.

what lurking dangers?

Absolutely right. I went to Rio and everybody endlessly admonished us
to be fearful--don't wear jewelry, carry a camera, or wear nice clothes
on the street, etc. In the end I was galled that I had spent 15% of my
time wherever we "took a chance" going noting escape routes, looking
for potential assailants, ensuring my wife walked in front of me, etc.
I never encountered the *slightest* difficulty there and ****ed away
vast amounts of energy in anxiety that wasn't necessary. Admittedly I
went to not-so-nice areas as well. Again--nothing but attendance by

but that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. I didn't make your
overprotective mistakes when I traveled alone and I didn't claim that I
would make your mistakes if I travelled to Japan.

the locals. I'm not saying it couldn't happen there, I'm saying that
opportunistic crime is much more a rarity most places in the world than
one would think by watching TV or listening to our barricaded friends
in wealthy societies.

What does tv have to do with my question?

I think street level, someone can tell you what's been happening
crime-wise like the driver who spent the afternoon telling us about her
friend who had disappeared last night and he was the second driver in
one week who had gone missing, probably permanently because they were
being picked off for the slightest article of value from cash, a
necklace or shoes or even just malevolence and fury looking for an
outlet. As for those who dwell behind gates, businessmen are the best
people to tell you what is behind events.

In the USA such fear or even panic is a basic cultaral chit of
exchange. Every middle-income street corner is apparently one that a
pedophile, terrorist, "super-predator", serial-killer or Democrat is
just lurking waiting for human flesh. Better to stay home and see the
world as Rupert Murdoch wants you to see it.

Fortunately in Japan such anxiety is not so widely perpetuated.

This reminds me, thanks to everyone who ever wore a face mask when they
had a cold even though non-Japanese made fun of you for years including
on the newsgroups while those who appreciated the gesture remained silent.

I've
been in their dark corners of major cities late at night with nothing
but punks and drunks around me and never felt the slightest fear.

Walking late at night. That is so cool and imaginative. I would love
to do that.

Maybe that *too* is disproportionate. If I'm picking delusions, I
prefer the ones that make me feel good and save me time.

compared to what?

Pardon me for being a bit frank and even rude after reading your
numerous buts and ifs, no one will miss you if you don't go to Japan,
but you will definitely miss a lot and, most probably, a wonderful
travel experience!

That is a weird thing to write.

But it's true that not everybody is invulnerable to cultural/political
fear-mongering. In that case--honestly--perhaps best to go to armed
enclaves, Disney is some of the best, where you can have a pasteurized
experience.

If I had the money, I would go to Disney primarily to get a look at the
products that the Disney newsgroup talks about and to see what makes
fans happy there. I really want to know what compels such a following.
I would want to see the Tokyo one to compare the intensity of must
have-ness.

Stop worrying & theorizing, just go and, above all, enjoy!

Or, take a chance--live on the wild side and see how often you are

Are you implying that going to Japan is a wild side thing to do? It's
one of the easiest things to do if you have money or if you believe you
can feed yourself on teaching your native language (not that there's
anything wrong with that) but that's one of the reasons I didn't do as
my Japanese teacher suggested and do language learning right i.e. in
situ because I didn't want to be part of that heyday phenom.

accomodated and deferred to. Make up your mind about how much crime is
after you lose your shoes.

whose shoes? If you mean my shoes, I already wrote that it's not about
whether I might lose my shoes but can I get away with keeping my shoes
with me. I didn't say anything or imply anything about crime. I just
argued that the reasons that brought up crime weren't based on a
sensible foundation.

Once, after fussing with a camera on a public bench we trundled off
taking pictures. Three blocks later and out-of-breath woman galloped
up to us and proffered my lens cap! On three or four occasions we've

wow, that might have been me several times in NYC. That might have been
the guy who returned a dropped glove for another pedestrian in NYC or
tries to pull someone back from the edge when a train approaches -
happens ALL the time. The only times anyone has made an issue about it
is when they're from out of town. It's not a big deal.

had similar circumstances. When leaving a very crowded bus once I stood
up and pushing through a few people, found somebody pulling me back. I
had left my shoulder-bag and they weren't going to let me leave without
it. Whew!

Again I've done that and people have done that for me but not in Japan.
It's not a Japanese thing. Is it a big deal for people who don't do
it for other people? And if it's such a common thing in Japan, do they
bother mentioning it?

I'm of the belief that Japanese long for such opportunities to
demonstrate their attendance to the common good and their accomodation
for addled outsiders. They may snort about us privately, I don't know.
But they sure do make for a delightful environment.

that's a common experience in NYC where my neighbors shovel snow for the
elderly or people just do for others even though this is a city with
crime problems - one doesn't have anything to do with the other so I
didn't expect my question to rile up a defensive tangent. Nobody I know
considers being nice a cultural thing, they don't consider it at all.
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:30 AM
ggg

I really don't look at crime when I'm interested in visiting a country.
I look at logistics and then crime information will just appear in
that research. However, thanks to the tangent on this thread, I just
googled and found other expats who are in agreement except for Kyle of Kobe:

Kuma is also very misleading when giving impression that homes are
safe in Japan...bull****! Everybody has their doors locked 24-7. Most
homes have gates with
intercoms and almost all first floor windows are barred. At night most
private homes are closed up
like up stores in a shopping mall; windows have steel garage doors or
metal gates pulled down
over them, and that's out in the countryside! In the last year several
friends as well as myself
have had our apartments broken into........(the cops investigating my
friends{all Japanese}
instantly deducted that they were victims of "foreigner thieves". They
were politically astute
enough not to say the same to me).

As for rape, thousands go unreported here because the police
investigation usually starts with
asking the victim if she "was asking for it." There are signs on in the
subways of Osaka stating
"CHIKAN AKAN" which translates into "PERVERTS STOP!" directed at the
thousands of
molesters that get their jollies to and from work. I have personally
confronted thugs beating
the crap of their girlfriends in public. When the police finally did
arrive they were more interested
in me than the thugs. When looking for an apartment, my wife(Japanese)
refused to get a first
floor place that could be seen for a street because she said she was
afraid that "someone would
steal all my panties!" from the clothes line.

There are hundreds of stories like this here, but you'll never hear it
for the Japanese, Kind of like
the GOP in the USA, but everyone has it ingrained in them from
childhood. And no one speaks
out cause the nail that sticks out the most gets hammered the hardest.
Sorry to get on my soapbox...
if you're ever interested in what really going on over here drop me a line.

I love your sight and hope to start to be able to contribute some dinero
after the New Year.
Sorry it can't be sooner, it takes alot of money to get the family home
for the holidays. Keep hammering.

Cheers, Kyle in Kobe

http://www.bartcop.com/112602ee.htm
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:37 AM
ggg

Cheers, Kyle in Kobe

http://www.bartcop.com/112602ee.htm

And this reminds me of a Japanese girl who complained to me many years
ago about Mainlanders who overstayed in Japan. I asked her if she had a
security system back home and she was surprised at my response.
Because I think if there is illegal behavior, you should think that it
will hit in other areas with more immediate rewards. I felt that this
advice was the most valuable comfort I had to offer. I didn't bring up
the Japanese expat guy who had been sent home for breaking into other
foreign students' rooms who was also trying to push drugs on the local
girl students. That wouldn't have been on topic.

I feel safer with the Japanese who warn me of dangerous people who
should be ignored because their bows are not out of politeness, with the
Korean man who said that I shouldn't say he was a nice person because I
didn't know him and that I should absolutely trust no one after another
Korean man gave me problems and Korean girls out of solidarity said he
was just being friendly. I definitely feel safe with the kind of HK
people who look out the window at the new construction at Discovery Bay
and see the backyard beach view as future landing for rafts of criminals
and decide not to purchase.
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Miguel Cruz

ggg wrote:
Gerry wrote:
I believe, from a statistical point of view, that you are correct. In
the USA child molestation is a very tiny percent of crime--it is a
rarity. Nevertheless our fears here escalate the issue to one of
absolute prime importance. Our fear of "street crime" keep us out of
low-income areas where the crime rate, though higher than other areas,

that's not the case in NYC. Are you talking about a specific place?

Sure it is. New York City is miles better than most parts of the USA in this
regard (and in most that involve rational behavior and constructive social
interaction) but when I lived in Harlem there were many people who would not
visit. They made all sorts of excuses but it was pretty clear that they were
scared.

Interestingly (or perhaps not) all of these people were originally from Long
Island or New Jersey, so I guess they had been told all their lives how
awful and scary Harlem was. People who were actually from NYC, or from
elsewhere, had no problem.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu