Delhi to Agra

Old December 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Markku Gr=F6nroos=20
says...

Renting a car in India is pretty expensive though? And cars often are tho=

se
of made in India?

We paid 460 US $ for 11 days with a Toyota Qualis, a pretty good car for=20
a 2400 km trip across Delhi, Agra and Rajahstan. I'll post a detailed=20
travelogue when I'm back.
--=20

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,=20
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,=20
Prague, Budapest and Portugal

Old December 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM
WayneHazle

Is it reasonable to
plan to travel to Agra, see Taj Mahal and return the same evening?

I don't think it is "reasonable". You should spend a little more time in Agra
and see Fatepuhr Sikr. Also, see the Taj at different times early morning and
also at sunset.

Wayne A. Hazle
http://www.waynehazle.com/travel/

Old January 13th, 2005, 07:01 AM
ng

We too just got back from Delhi/Agra. Not to be the voice of dissent on
this group, but I would disagree that Agra requires more than one day.
The town itself seemed like a rather unpleasant place to stay, so if
you don't mind the 8 hours in the car on the same day, I would just
stick with the day trip. Fatehpur Sikri sounded like a neat place,
although we did not go there, but our travel agent in Delhi said that
it is possible to see both the Taj and Sikri in one (long) day.

Actually, getting back to Delhi late (like 11 pm) is better since you
avoid the traffic jams going into Delhi.

-ng

P.S. I do not really enjoy heavily touristy places, however, so keep
that in
mind when reading the above.

wrote:
On 23 Dec 2004 19:50:59 -0800,
(Kishore
Menon) wrote:

Anyone has any experience travelling Delhi to Agra by road? How

much
time does it take? How are the road conditions? Is it reasonable

plan to travel to Agra, see Taj Mahal and return the same evening?

It is definitely doable, since we just got back from our trip. We did
it in one day (leaving at 6:30am and returning around 10:00pm), and
managed to see the Taj, Akbar's tomb, and the Agra Fort. The road was
fine. However, I would recommend going for a couple of days if you
have the time. Agra deserves more than a one-day trip.

Old January 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Plad

Gotta agree about Agra it needs needs only a day. We drove from Delhi. Got
there in the afternoon and saw the Taj. Stayed overnight saw the Agrs fort
the next morning and then it was onto Fatehpur Sikri. Definitly woth it. We
then drove to Jaipur (a must see). Stayed o/n and then drove back to Delhi.
We were originally going to just stay o/n in Agra but our driver suggested
to do Jaipur as it is not too far out of the way. I am gad we did.

Mark
"ng" wrote in message
oups.com...
We too just got back from Delhi/Agra. Not to be the voice of dissent on
this group, but I would disagree that Agra requires more than one day.
The town itself seemed like a rather unpleasant place to stay, so if
you don't mind the 8 hours in the car on the same day, I would just
stick with the day trip. Fatehpur Sikri sounded like a neat place,
although we did not go there, but our travel agent in Delhi said that
it is possible to see both the Taj and Sikri in one (long) day.

Actually, getting back to Delhi late (like 11 pm) is better since you
avoid the traffic jams going into Delhi.

-ng

P.S. I do not really enjoy heavily touristy places, however, so keep
that in
mind when reading the above.

wrote:
On 23 Dec 2004 19:50:59 -0800,
(Kishore

Old January 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Plad

Gotta agree about Agra it needs needs only a day. We drove from Delhi. Got
there in the afternoon and saw the Taj. Stayed overnight saw the Agrs fort
the next morning and then it was onto Fatehpur Sikri. Definitly woth it. We
then drove to Jaipur (a must see). Stayed o/n and then drove back to Delhi.
We were originally going to just stay o/n in Agra but our driver suggested
to do Jaipur as it is not too far out of the way. I am gad we did.

Mark
"ng" wrote in message
oups.com...
We too just got back from Delhi/Agra. Not to be the voice of dissent on
this group, but I would disagree that Agra requires more than one day.
The town itself seemed like a rather unpleasant place to stay, so if
you don't mind the 8 hours in the car on the same day, I would just
stick with the day trip. Fatehpur Sikri sounded like a neat place,
although we did not go there, but our travel agent in Delhi said that
it is possible to see both the Taj and Sikri in one (long) day.

Actually, getting back to Delhi late (like 11 pm) is better since you
avoid the traffic jams going into Delhi.

-ng

P.S. I do not really enjoy heavily touristy places, however, so keep
that in
mind when reading the above.

wrote:
On 23 Dec 2004 19:50:59 -0800,
(Kishore

Old January 13th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Plad
says...
Gotta agree about Agra it needs needs only a day.

Same here. Agra is not much of a town and the only reason to visit it is
the Taj Mahal (although the fort is nice too). Fatehpur Sikri is ok, but
can be skipped if you are short of time.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal

Old January 15th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Edwardseco

In article , "Plad"
writes:

Gotta agree about Agra it needs needs only a day. We drove from Delhi. Got
there in the afternoon and saw the Taj. Stayed overnight

Aside from the incongruity of a day trip, I would say it depends on the person.
If you are just going to check off a box on the tourist site card I think this
is true. However, my best experiences of Agra from several trips was leisurely
exploration and enjoyment. Many of the smaller, less well known monuments of
Agra come near to matching the Taj ( with respects to the late Lp who used to
post on this topic). I like to think about and savor my travels a bit more so
that my experience of India is a bit more than memories of frantic escapes from
touts. I think there is a role for personal variation.
edwardseco