(Pattaya Mail) Thailand more dangerous each year

Old February 6th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Vagabond

Default (Pattaya Mail) Thailand more dangerous each year

Violence on Beach Road

Letters to the editor
Pattaya Mail
6. Feb. 2004

Dear Sir,

While shopping down on Beach Road about a week ago, I bought 3 or 4 DVD
movies at one of the many street side stalls. When checking them at
home, one did not work so I planned to return it. Last Wednesday about 2
p.m., I went down with my wife to Beach Road and dropped her at Mikešs
department store while I walked on to the DVD stall just beyond Dunkinš
Donuts.

There was a young man working at this stall that I did not recognize but
told him that I bought several DVDšs a few days before and I wanted to
return this one as it did not work. He looked at me with a scowl on his
face and said I did not buy it there. I replied that I did buy it, not
from him but from that stall. He returned with ŗF*** OFF, YOU DIDNšT BUY
IT HERE!˛. I said that I know I did and want to replace it with another
one. He came back with ŗF*** OFF!˛ and a second later 3 young thugs
jumped on me, punching and kicking me down to the ground. It happened so
fast, I didnšt even see where the other two came from. I ended down in
the street, just missed by a passing motorbike.

I was pretty well battered and beat up. I did manage to land one punch
in defence but at my age I was no match for three young thugs. As I got
up, I thought for a moment about going back into the fray but decided
against it considering there was 3 of them and they may be carrying
knives or worse. I shouted for police, but none were around and the
thing that also upset me was nobody did a thing to help me and this area
of the street was full of people, Thai and Farang ... To me, this was
the worst part of it, to think how helpless one can be in a crowd. I
walked away, bleeding into my handkerchief.

I walked on to Mikešs to find my wife who was extremely shocked when she
saw my condition. We returned home to clean my wounds, not knowing what
could be done about this. I thought about contacting the police but
having never done that before in the 7 years that I have lived here I
decided against it. One of the thugs might be a relative of one of the
local police and the last thing I want is for them to know who I am or
where I live.

I think my wife was shaken as much or more than I about this and said
that Thailand is becoming more and more dangerous each year and we
should consider selling our house and moving to a less violent
country with better law enforcement and law abiding people. We have 3
homes globally, Italy, England and here in Pattaya and I have always
loved Thailand, the country and the people, but this has set such a sour
note in our minds. I am trying to get over this and focus more on all
the good people here, the nice local people that I know and worked with
during the past 7 years, there are many out there.

I am writing to you about this but not sure why, I certainly donšt want
these people to know my name or where I live so I respect your
confidence on this. Thanks for listening.

Abused and Battered on the streets of Pattaya

---
Source: http://www.pattayamail.com
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Tuuk

All the more reason why the government needs to clean things up. The
prostitution has gotten to an all high embarrassment level. The drugs are
being looked into. The threats from the extreme Muslims in the south needs
immediate attention and immediately and strong cleaning up.
I know there are many here in this group who do not believe in tough
deterrence's. Think of the parents of the little girl who found their
daughter's body in Florida this morning. The killer, raper, molester is in
jail now. I am curious to hear what your expectations of his punishment or
sentence should be? Should he be given life in prison, with chance of parole
in 5 years or earlier if good behaviour? I mean, in prison, he will have a
library, exercise gym, three square meals per day, education, computer, etc
etc.
I am guessing he will swing or be electrocuted or lethal injection. Not sure
if Florida still uses the death penalty.
Lets here what the bleeding hearts have to say? Forgive and forget?
Temporary insanity? Accident?
The world is getting to soft with issues like these, those venders beat up
the customer because they could, no one will touch them. For a 200baht dvd,
they refused warranty or exchange and beaten up the customer because they
can. This other guy raped, molested then murdered some poor 14 year old
girl, because he could, because he had no worries as to the outcome. The
outcome of his crime had a better outcome than his present life.
He had prior convictions so did the state make a mistake? Are they liable?
Should the parents sue the state for millions upon millions and make the
taxpayers pay for the mistakes of the state? I think the bleeding hearts
should pay, their stupidity is what is causing all these negative news
stories.
Sad, very sad, my heart goes out to the families of this girl. I hope that
Florida deals with this disease in a manner that will reflect into the
future and deter so many others from thinking of committing such a heinous
crime against humanity.

Old February 6th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Peter L

"Vagabond" wrote in message
Violence on Beach Road

I hate to say this. But are you buying counterfeit DVD? In other words,
illegal copies? So you are dealing with criminals. I am not blaming you,
but when dealing with criminals, you should be much more careful.

Old February 6th, 2004, 06:36 PM
loikroh

That's about the most stupid reply I've seen on this group in years (sorry
about the top-posting)

Old February 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM
lopez the wolf

"Peter L" wrote in message

"Vagabond" wrote in message
[...]

Especially stupid when he replies to Vagga rather than the newspaper it was

extracted from!!!!

Old February 6th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Miguel Cruz

loikroh wrote:
"Peter L" wrote:
"Vagabond" wrote in message
Violence on Beach Road

I hate to say this. But are you buying counterfeit DVD? In other words,
illegal copies? So you are dealing with criminals. I am not blaming
you, but when dealing with criminals, you should be much more careful.

That's about the most stupid reply I've seen on this group in years (sorry
about the top-posting)

I don't think it's all that stupid. Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas,
etc.

If you deal with people who are willing to do something illegal, it should
not be a surprise that they are willing to do other illegal things too. They
have demonstrated their lack of scruples by engaging in the first illegal
transaction; that's your warning.

Nothing excuses violence, but some things help you avoid it.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Saparot

Vagabond wrote:

Violence on Beach Road

Letters to the editor
Pattaya Mail
6. Feb. 2004

Dear Sir,

While shopping down on Beach Road about a week ago, I bought 3 or 4 DVD
movies at one of the many street side stalls. When checking them at
home, one did not work so I planned to return it. Last Wednesday about 2
p.m., I went down with my wife to Beach Road and dropped her at Mike?s
department store while I walked on to the DVD stall just beyond Dunkin?
Donuts.

There was a young man working at this stall that I did not recognize but
told him that I bought several DVD?s a few days before and I wanted to
return this one as it did not work. He looked at me with a scowl on his
face and said I did not buy it there. I replied that I did buy it, not
from him but from that stall. He returned with ?F*** OFF, YOU DIDN?T BUY
IT HERE!?. I said that I know I did and want to replace it with another
one. He came back with ?F*** OFF!? and a second later 3 young thugs
jumped on me, punching and kicking me down to the ground. It happened so
fast, I didn?t even see where the other two came from. I ended down in
the street, just missed by a passing motorbike.

I was pretty well battered and beat up. I did manage to land one punch
in defence but at my age I was no match for three young thugs. As I got
up, I thought for a moment about going back into the fray but decided
against it considering there was 3 of them and they may be carrying
knives or worse. I shouted for police, but none were around and the
thing that also upset me was nobody did a thing to help me and this area
of the street was full of people, Thai and Farang ... To me, this was
the worst part of it, to think how helpless one can be in a crowd. I
walked away, bleeding into my handkerchief.

I walked on to Mike?s to find my wife who was extremely shocked when she
[...]

I am writing to you about this but not sure why, I certainly don?t want
these people to know my name or where I live so I respect your
confidence on this. Thanks for listening.

Abused and Battered on the streets of Pattaya

---
Source: http://www.pattayamail.com

This is a sad thing.
But if you consider how in this NG poeple communicate with each other,
it is no wonder where the world is going to
peace

--
When ignorance reigns  live is lost!(Rage Against The Machine)

Old February 6th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Peter L

"loikroh" wrote in message
That's about the most stupid reply I've seen on this group in years (sorry
about the top-posting)

Your reply is so intelligent that I must learn from you. Please teach me
and the ng your intelligent ways.

Old February 6th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Peter L

"lopez the wolf" wrote in message

"loikroh" wrote in message
That's about the most stupid reply I've seen on this group in years

(sorry
about the top-posting)

Especially stupid when he replies to Vagga rather than the newspaper it

was
extracted from!!!!

I reply to the ng. How would I reply to the newspaper?

Please teach me since you are so smart.

Old February 6th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Mort

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:36:11 GMT, "loikroh"
wrote:

That's about the most stupid reply I've seen on this group in years (sorry
about the top-posting)
"Peter L" wrote in message

Like an old scter said:
"If electricity is made using electrons, then morality is made using
morons"

;-)
Mort