Banking for long term world travel?

Old April 10th, 2005, 12:34 AM
A Mate

Please, pretty please - which banks provide these services so cheaply. My
bank doesn't, but if Miguel's bank or Chris' bank have a presence in
Australia................

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:
Looking at the most recent foreign currency withdrawal on my account, I
was given a rate of GBP=PHP102.528 for a transaction dated April 6th
2005. According to www.oanda.com the average interbank exchange rate for
that day was GBP=PHP103.101, so the rate I got was about 0.5% away from
that.

A HK bank told me that any fees like the 2.5% or whatever results from
using the Cirrus/Maestro network, and that they only charge a flat fee
of HKD25 per transaction. I don't bank with them so I don't know how
true that is.

I think the HK bank was lying, unless there's something special about Hong
Kong. Like Chris, I usually pay 0.5% over interbank for withdrawals in
major
currencies, and I don't pay any other fees for ATM transactions.

miguel
Latest photos: Jordan, Turkey, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel

Old April 10th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:34:24 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

Please, pretty please - which banks provide these services so cheaply. My
bank doesn't, but if Miguel's bank or Chris' bank have a presence in
Australia................

In my case, its the Nationwide Building Society in the UK, so unlikely
to be of much use to you.

I also get a reasonably good deal from HSBC. They make no charge for
using ATM's at other branches of HSBC anywhere in the world, and if
you're a Premier account holder you get a better exchange rate also. I
don't think its quite as good as the 0.5%, but certainly within 1% of
interbank.

You just have to shop around and ask various banks in your area what
they charge.

Chris

Old April 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Miguel Cruz

A Mate wrote:
Please, pretty please - which banks provide these services so cheaply. My
bank doesn't, but if Miguel's bank or Chris' bank have a presence in
Australia................

Those of you in Australia seem to get the short end of the stick when it
comes to consumer banking. There are dozens, and probably hundreds, of banks
in the US offering no-fee worldwide ATM withdrawals.

Old April 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Tchiowa

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:
[...]

There are charges based on the Cirrus (and other) network. A proper
bank will absorb those costs. Even in the US where there is a charge
from a bank for people using their ATMs who are not their customers,
good banks and credit unions absorb that cost and don't pass it on to
their customers. I use my ATM in Asia regularly and have never paid an
ATM charge.

Old April 11th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Alfred Molon

In article . com,
Tchiowa says...

There are charges based on the Cirrus (and other) network. A proper
bank will absorb those costs.

Looks like here in Germany we don't have proper banks - 4 Euro fee if
you withdraw from an ATM which does not belong to your bank.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal