Beijing is messy

Old October 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Default Beijing is messy

HUGE and polluted... It took us one hour by taxi today to get from the
Hilton hotel to the temple of Heaven (just to make an example). You
spend a lot of time to get from one place to the other. We're leaving
tomorrow, one day earlier than planned.
--

Alfred Molon
http://www.molon.de - 6000 photos from Asia, Africa and Europe
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:28 PM
R@L

www.mulazzo.nl

"a" wrote in message
HUGE and polluted... It took us one hour by taxi today to get from the
Hilton hotel to the temple of Heaven (just to make an example). You
spend a lot of time to get from one place to the other. We're leaving
tomorrow, one day earlier than planned.
--

Alfred Molon
http://www.molon.de - 6000 photos from Asia, Africa and Europe

In cities -and definitely in Beijing- biking and walking are far better that
hiring a taxi.
Take a map and visit sites which are located closely together at the same
day.
Whatever they demolish, Beijing will still remain a fascinating city.
You as a seasoned traveler -in China in recent years at least- should know
that.

Have fun,

Ronald

Old October 11th, 2005, 04:43 PM
PeterL

x-no-archive: yes

a wrote:
HUGE and polluted... It took us one hour by taxi today to get from the
Hilton hotel to the temple of Heaven (just to make an example). You
spend a lot of time to get from one place to the other. We're leaving
tomorrow, one day earlier than planned.

Beijing is a huge city with lots of pollution problems. Big cities the
world over have transportation problems. You didn't know that before
you went there?

Old October 11th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Slim

"a" wrote in message
m...
HUGE and polluted... It took us one hour by taxi today to get from the
Hilton hotel to the temple of Heaven (just to make an example). You
spend a lot of time to get from one place to the other. We're leaving
tomorrow, one day earlier than planned.
--

Alfred Molon

Why wouldn't you take the subway? it's fast, efficient and very cheap.
From Chongwenmen station to Temple of Heavenly Peace is a 5 minute
walk. Subway stops are everywhere.

Besides, it's just another big city. Why should you be surprised by
that?

Old October 11th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Slim" kirjoitti
om...

"a" wrote in message
om...
HUGE and polluted... It took us one hour by taxi today to get from the
Hilton hotel to the temple of Heaven (just to make an example). You
spend a lot of time to get from one place to the other. We're leaving
tomorrow, one day earlier than planned.
--

Alfred Molon

Why wouldn't you take the subway? it's fast, efficient and very cheap.
From Chongwenmen station to Temple of Heavenly Peace is a 5 minute
walk. Subway stops are everywhere.

Besides, it's just another big city. Why should you be surprised by
that?

Some statistics suggest that of ten most polluted cities eight or nine
reside in China (Mexico City must be one strong candidate for the gold medal
podium).

Old October 11th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:59:37 -0600, the renowned Slim
wrote:

"a" wrote in message
om...
HUGE and polluted... It took us one hour by taxi today to get from the
Hilton hotel to the temple of Heaven (just to make an example). You
spend a lot of time to get from one place to the other. We're leaving
tomorrow, one day earlier than planned.
--

Alfred Molon

Why wouldn't you take the subway? it's fast, efficient and very cheap.
From Chongwenmen station to Temple of Heavenly Peace is a 5 minute
walk. Subway stops are everywhere.

It's a pretty minimal subway system (the central part is just one loop
that follows the 2nd ring road and an east-west line), and I think the
Hilton is at least 1.6km off of it, as is Heaven Temple. That's 2
miles of walking.

Besides, it's just another big city. Why should you be surprised by
that?

It's got some excellent shopping, stupendous food and a few other
things you'll not find many other places in the world, let alone
within China. I was sad when I had to leave a day early.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Slim

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:03:51 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

"a" wrote in message
. com...
HUGE and polluted... It took us one hour by taxi today to get from the
Hilton hotel to the temple of Heaven (just to make an example). You
spend a lot of time to get from one place to the other. We're leaving
tomorrow, one day earlier than planned.
--

Alfred Molon

It's a pretty minimal subway system (the central part is just one loop
that follows the 2nd ring road and an east-west line), and I think the
Hilton is at least 1.6km off of it, as is Heaven Temple. That's 2
miles of walking.

Check the following URL for a map of the subway:
http://www.urbanrail.net/as/beij/beijing-map.gif

Most people walk at about 4 miles/hour so it's a 5 minute walk. I've
done it a number of times. Even allowing for slipping on the gobs on
the sidewalk it's still less than 10 minutes.
(BTW 1.6km = about 0.99 miles)

Besides, it's just another big city. Why should you be surprised by
that?

It's got some excellent shopping, stupendous food and a few other
things you'll not find many other places in the world, let alone
within China. I was sad when I had to leave a day early.

The food street alone is well worth the trip just by itself. Can't
remember the name of it. Where all the vendors show up in the early
evening and set up food stalls for at least a block long...

Perhaps Molon has some physical limitation that prevents him from
walking a mile. In any case, in my 7 trips there in the past 5 years
(most recent was last january), I've found it easy to get around and
quite interesting in a large-city sort of way.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Cheers,
Slim
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Miguel Cruz

Slim wrote:
The food street alone is well worth the trip just by itself. Can't
remember the name of it. Where all the vendors show up in the early
evening and set up food stalls for at least a block long...

You mean the one near Wangfujing? The street food in the backstreets near
there is better. But at the rate things are going, those places have
probably all been cleared out and replaced with an airport or oil refinery
or something.

Perhaps Molon has some physical limitation that prevents him from
walking a mile.

I think the limitation is called "a small child".

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 37 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Hong Kong; Macau; Amsterdam; Grand Canyon; Amman, Jordan
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I agree. Tokyo is also huge and interesting, but it has an excellent
subway system, and doesn't feel polluted.

a wrote:
Seoul is also big, but much more comfortable. Less polluted and with a
very dense network of subway stations. And with neighourhoods full of
shops in walking distance and no stalinist era monster buildings.