Columbia Icefield

Old March 11th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

Default Columbia Icefield

Can anyone tell me why I should/must take the Columbia Icefield bus tour
when I go through the area in September?

Thanks in advance.

Gerrit - Oz

Old March 11th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Icono Clast

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote
Can anyone tell me why I should/must take the Columbia Icefield bus tour

So that you get to see the crevasses and other phenomena AND debark
the bus with your life and all of the limbs you had when you embarked.

when I go through the area in September?

It's not an area: it's a place in October and November and December
and January and February and March and April and May and June and July
and August too.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:50 PM
TCS

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:47:35 +0800, Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I should/must take the Columbia Icefield bus tour
when I go through the area in September?

As opposed to walking out onto the ice yourself?
As opposed to not seeing it at all?

I found the ride in the monster buses and the tourguide's speech to be
worth the price.

Old March 11th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Rodney Boles

TCS wrote in message ...
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:47:35 +0800, Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I should/must take the Columbia Icefield bus tour
when I go through the area in September?

As opposed to walking out onto the ice yourself?
As opposed to not seeing it at all?

I found the ride in the monster buses and the tourguide's speech to be
worth the price.

me too.

bring waterbottles or empty milk jugs. you can fill with pristine
glacier water.
very, very yummy.

it was VERY cold up on the glacier and the winds were extremely
strong. we had to hold onto our 9 yo to keep her from blowing away.
Old March 13th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Tom J

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message
. au...
Can anyone tell me why I should/must take the Columbia Icefield bus tour
when I go through the area in September?

Thanks in advance.

Because if you don't, you'll be trying to kick your own butt for not doing
it!!

Been there and didn't, now can hardly sit anymore - but next time ......

Tom J

Old March 13th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message
. au...
Can anyone tell me why I should/must take the Columbia Icefield bus tour
when I go through the area in September?

Thanks in advance.

Because if you don't, you'll be trying to kick your own butt for not doing
it!!

Been there and didn't, now can hardly sit anymore - but next time ......

Tom J

But if I don't know what I missed why wouyld I want to?

I'd like to know if the scenery or something else is so special that I must
do the side trip.

Can you please describe?

Oops, but you can't 'cause you didn't! :-)

Can someone else describe, please?

Gerrit - Oz

Old March 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Tom J

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message
. au...
Can anyone tell me why I should/must take the Columbia Icefield bus tour
when I go through the area in September?

Thanks in advance.

Because if you don't, you'll be trying to kick your own butt for not doing
it!!

Been there and didn't, now can hardly sit anymore - but next time ......

Tom J

But if I don't know what I missed why wouyld I want to?

I'd like to know if the scenery or something else is so special that I must
do the side trip.

Can you please describe?

Oops, but you can't 'cause you didn't! :-)

That's the point!! I've had others describe in person, and the looks on their
face as they describe is enough to make me want to get back in the area and
see what I didn't see the last time.

Tom J

Old March 14th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Icono Clast

The regulars in this Group are travellers. Other travellers drop in
from time to time for a bit of information. We're delighted to do what
we can for them.

Occasionally a tourist such as you visits and we don't know how to
act. Most of us don't want to be nasty but you and your ilk make it
quite difficult.

Mobetta you stay home. I'm restraining further comment.

Old March 14th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...
The regulars in this Group are travellers. Other travellers drop in
from time to time for a bit of information. We're delighted to do what
we can for them.

Occasionally a tourist such as you visits and we don't know how to
act. Most of us don't want to be nasty but you and your ilk make it
quite difficult.

Mobetta you stay home. I'm restraining further comment.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Sorry if I upset you.
I do not consider myself a tourist!
This was a genuine travel query.
My wife and I will be travelling through the area (Banff to Jasper and then
on to Smithers) and I was wondering what was so beautiful or otherwise about
the icefield and whether it was worth our while to go onto it with the tour.
I have been on glaciers in Europe before and wondered how, if at all, it
differed from there.
We will pick up our car in Edmonton half September and over the next 19 days
make our way via Calgary Banff, and Smithers to Vancouver after which we
will fly back to Australia which we are leaving on 1 April.
Maybe I should have been more expansive with my original query.

Gerrit - Oz

Old March 14th, 2004, 02:39 PM
James Gemmill

We were told that at the present rate of decline the glaciers will be
gone in 30 years. My wife and I went to the area in 1967 and were in
awe of this mass of ice. We couldn't go onto the icefields as she
was ill with morning sickness. We regretted the missing portion of
our trip. So we went back in August, 2003 and did do the icefields.
They are magnificent. They were part of the whole experience of the
Canadian Rockies and we are glad we took the trip onto the fields. If
we had missed them this trip and didn't get back for another 30 years
we'd miss them entirely. Besides, It was just plain fun riding on the
huge converted busses. (We bought a model for our grandsons. Hey, we
are tourists.)
This time we missed some other things that we did get to experience on
our first trip. There were more animals for viewing in '67, there
were not as many tourists and gas was cheaper. The roads were not as
nice and interpretive centers were not as evident.
It is all a matter of choice, but I think you should see the glaciers
while you can.
Since you've seen some in Europe it may be anticlimactic.
We enjoyed the FNQ in '90 and hope you enjoy our two countries, USA
and Canada. I hope we can see and dive in the Great Barrier Reef, see
the tropical rain forests and outback again before they are
gone/changed forever.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:13:11 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart"
wrote:

. com...