Eastern Europe

Old April 21st, 2005, 09:50 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"Gregory Morrow"
gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net wrote:

The funniest time one of my Usenet "enemies" tried to expose me on another
newsgroup via Google was when my little "fan" announced to the world that I
was an 81 year - old gay Catholic priest living in suburban Chicago...best
to really do one's "homework" I guess ;-)

So they got your age wrong by a couple of years. Not a big deal.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

Old April 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM
Timothy Kroesen

getting ****ed=getting drunk
taking the ****=imbibing alcohol
the ****=some nondiscript libation, usually beer

****=urine

That's the way I heard the phrases used in England and the US by Brits
and Irish alike; that some take slightly different meanings of slang
vernacular would be common of slang vernacular. **** after all is
primarily slang for urine; the double slang entandre does indeed speak
volumes about the quality of Brit libations though...g

Think Carlsberg mate!

Tim K

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
"Keith W" wrote:

"Timothy Kroesen" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Also to note; 'taking the ****' in England is imbibing, not
excreting...g

Its neither , it means 'making fun of'

'getting ****ed' is imbibing

I thought that Timothy was taking the ****.

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:01 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Timothy Kroesen wrote:

getting ****ed=getting drunk
taking the ****=imbibing alcohol
the ****=some nondiscript libation, usually beer

****=urine

That's the way I heard the phrases used in England and the US by Brits
and Irish alike; that some take slightly different meanings of slang
vernacular would be common of slang vernacular.

Sorry- "taking the ****" means that you're making fun, taking the
mickey, whatever. There simply is no vernacular (slang or otherwise) in
the UK or Ireland where it means what you say it does. You may have
misheard, or misunderstood.

****=faeces but 'talking ****' or '****-faced' don't have a direct
connotation, do they!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:33 AM
Timothy Kroesen

I think you're fortifying my point as to 'slang connotation is highly
subjective and dependant on who you're talking to at the moment'...

So we shall add more common connotation:

taking the ****=receiving some abuse
****=rancor
****ed=upset

Tim K seemingly '****ing in the wind or ****ing up a rope' here

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
news:1gve7y6.1uxxjfj13fttcnN%this_address_is_for_s ...

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:49 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
"tile" wrote:
when you go to Croazia.. just pay attention at the ancient monuments.
and that will maybe recall to yr memory that all the coast was once
Republic of Venice..

Thanks for that, Sandro.
I really like to have background like that when I visit a place. It
can help me get some understanding of it. I had a general impression
that the Venetian influence was significant along the Dalmatian coast.
it seemed quite interesting to us because we have recently been in
Venice.

Basically what you were thanking him for was giving you Mussolini's
version of the history of the Adriatic. (The Venetian Empire was a
series of sickening atrocities lasting for centuries, and Dalmatia
probably suffered worse than anywhere).

Try Marcus Tanner's "Croatia: A Nation Forged in War" for another
view. Tanner is an American liberal academic political scientist,
and I find a few problems with his way of looking at things, but
at least he isn't a fascist.

Sadly, the fact that many people there speak Italian is of little
help to us!

Read "a small minority of people speak Italian". Mainly in Zadar, and
I would guess that shopkeepers in the centre of Split have to know it.

you have Rijeka .. it was Fiume

Which had the dubious honour of being the first place in the world to
experience a Fascist regime, under d'Annunzio, who pioneered what
Mussolini applied to the whole of Italy and much of North Africa soon
after. The locals prefer to forget about the whole period and I guess
you can't blame them.

The Rough Guide to Croatia is okay on the historical background too.

Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:03 AM

Timothy Kroesen wrote:

I think you're fortifying my point as to 'slang connotation is highly
subjective and dependant on who you're talking to at the moment'...

No. It was a genuine attempt to correct your misunderstanding of what
the term meant.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:21 AM
Timothy Kroesen

Thanks' it's appreciated! However when bartender at the Kamms Corners
"Public House" (Residing on Achille Island, Mayo Ireland 4-5 months per
year) speaks of "taking the ****" he *does* mean drinking alcohol.

I find no reason to believe that the phrase may not have more than one
meaning; indeed connotation and situation may have huge effect in
'slanguage'...

Tim K

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1gveav5.1122aerv2hj7qN%this_address_is_for_sp ...

Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:31 AM

Timothy Kroesen wrote:

Thanks' it's appreciated! However when bartender at the Kamms Corners
"Public House" (Residing on Achille Island, Mayo Ireland 4-5 months per
year) speaks of "taking the ****" he *does* mean drinking alcohol.

I find no reason to believe that the phrase may not have more than one
meaning; indeed connotation and situation may have huge effect in
'slanguage'...

Well, I have no reason to disbelieve you, but it would seem an odd
phrase if it was said without irony, which it might have been. For
example, some people will say, "what's your poison" while not meaning
something which will _immediately_ make you ill- well, in moderation
anyway!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net