Near Phoenix

Old January 8th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Ian Andlewin

Default Near Phoenix

Greetings. I am travelling to Phoenix for a few days, and after work is
done I will have about 6 hours on Sunday to drive somewhere scenic and
back. Not much time I know. Ideally I'd like to see some of the desert
(I've never been to that part of the States) and get out and hike around
or scramble up something for fun. Any ideas on what to visit will be
greatly appreciated --I'd very much like to keep the drive time down to no
more than 3, 3-and-a-half hours so as to get outside a bit (it's cold
where I live, I want to feel the warm sun!)

Bye --Ian

Old January 8th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Hatunen

On 8 Jan 2004 05:36:11 GMT, Ian Andlewin
wrote:

Greetings. I am travelling to Phoenix for a few days, and after work is
done I will have about 6 hours on Sunday to drive somewhere scenic and
back. Not much time I know. Ideally I'd like to see some of the desert
(I've never been to that part of the States) and get out and hike around
or scramble up something for fun. Any ideas on what to visit will be
greatly appreciated --I'd very much like to keep the drive time down to no
more than 3, 3-and-a-half hours so as to get outside a bit (it's cold
where I live, I want to feel the warm sun!)

I think I'd suggest a drive up and around South Mountain Park,
and, depending on where you start from in the Phoenix area less
than an hour to only a few minutes to get there. It's fairly
close to the airport, too.

Old January 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Miles

Ian Andlewin wrote:
Greetings. I am travelling to Phoenix for a few days, and after work is
done I will have about 6 hours on Sunday to drive somewhere scenic and
back. Not much time I know. Ideally I'd like to see some of the desert
(I've never been to that part of the States) and get out and hike around
or scramble up something for fun. Any ideas on what to visit will be
greatly appreciated --I'd very much like to keep the drive time down to no
more than 3, 3-and-a-half hours so as to get outside a bit (it's cold
where I live, I want to feel the warm sun!)

Right around Phoenix is not very scenic or interesting.

By far the best drive would be to Sedona. It is about 1 1/2 hours north
of Phoenix on I-17 to highway 179. VERY scenic. If time permits you
can follow 89 north from Sedona towards Flagstaff. About 20 miles north
of Sedona the highway climbs to an incredible scenic overlook of Oak
Creek canyon. The drive through the bottom of the canyon is very
pretty. It follows along Oak Creek which is a popular summer camping
and fishing area. Many areas to hike and explore here. Indians at the
scenic vista sell their arts and crafts. However, once on top of Oak
Creak canyon, the weather could be cold and even snowing. Snow is
rather rare in Sedona. If weather is good then I would suggest driving
towards Flagstaff and then returning on I-17 to Phoenix. If weather is
not good then stay around Sedona and return back on 179 to I-17. This
area is the 2nd most visited in Arizona after the Grand Canyon.

Heres some photos from the area.

http://www.experiencesedona.com/gall...ck/default.htm

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Lester Higgins

A couple of suggestions:

1) drive east on the freeway from Phoenix out to the Superstition Mountains.
Good hiking and vistas, but will squeeze your time a bit,

2) several mountains in the greater Phoenix area you might try: Squaw Peak
( very popular with locals and visitors, well established trails, Camelback
Mountain, and there are a few other trails/hikes in the Phoenix Mountain
Preserve, plus South Mountain with many trails and a wonderful view from the
top),

3) Boyce-Thompson Arboretum ( timing an issue? ),

4) Papago Buttes ( hiking trails and a small easy climb ) and the Phoenix
Zoo ( almost in mid-town ).

HTH.
LH

Old January 11th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Lester Higgins

Default Near Phoenix OT

Thanks for the correction, Bill, but to me it's still Squaw Peak, and to
heck with the political correctness. I'm all for changing the name in honor
of Lori Piestewa, BUT ( isn't there always a "but"? ) feel it was done for
political purposes, (why not honor *all* fallen Arizona servicemen and
servicewomen?), and absolutely disagree with the way the Governor "made it
happen" (ie: failed to follow procedural place name change convention...)
{ off soapbox now.....}
Cheers.
LH

From: "Lester Higgins"

2) several mountains in the greater Phoenix area you might try: Squaw
Peak

Good suggestions in Lester's post, but to update one place name, "Squaw

Peak"
was renamed "Piestawa Peak" in 2003, in part to remove what some saw as an
offensive reference to Indian women, in part to honor the first Native

American
woman to die overseas in battle, Lori Piestawa, a Hopi from Tuba City who

was
killed in Iraq in the same firefight that wounded Jessica Lynch.