Touring the US Buy or rent Car ?

Old January 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Graham

Default Touring the US Buy or rent Car ?

as the title says i am planning a trip round america i would like to
drive that way i can come and go as i please no bus time tables etc, i
have looked around the internet but cant find much in the way of
information on this.

Can anyone help ? has anyone done this before?

many thanks
Graham
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Peter L

"Graham" wrote in message
om...
as the title says i am planning a trip round america i would like to
drive that way i can come and go as i please no bus time tables etc, i
have looked around the internet but cant find much in the way of
information on this.

I actually know someone who bought a car to tour the US. He was from NZ and
I met him while I was touring that country. He told me he did it (this was
several years ago) by misrepresenting some information (OK, he lied about a
number of things). That how he was able to registered the car. Still he
drove without insurance.

So I think you'd be taking some risk to buy a car and hope to sell it back
in some later day.

You can of course rent a car to tour around the US. Plenty of people do
that, and it's perfectly legal.

Old January 8th, 2004, 11:30 PM
David Bennetts

"Graham" wrote in message
om...
as the title says i am planning a trip round america i would like to
drive that way i can come and go as i please no bus time tables etc, i
have looked around the internet but cant find much in the way of
information on this.

Can anyone help ? has anyone done this before?

many thanks
Graham

You may find the following information very useful:

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.cle...arhire/alt.htm

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old January 12th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Graham

Thanks for all you advice, i actually just stumbled across this
website www.autotourusa.com and am speak to them in london next month.

cheers
Graham
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:16 PM
B Vaughan

On 12 Jan 2004 03:01:03 -0800, (Graham)
wrote:

Thanks for all you advice, i actually just stumbled across this
website
www.autotourusa.com and am speak to them in london next month.

That's interesting. They are not very forthcoming with information on
the website. I'm curious whether the vehicle is bought in the
traveller's name. If so, I don't understand how it can be legal. Maybe
it's more a leasing service. They have absolutely no clue on any of
their pages as to how it works.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Frank F. Matthews

wrote:

Thanks for all you advice, i actually just stumbled across this
website
www.autotourusa.com and am speak to them in london next month.

That's interesting. They are not very forthcoming with information on
the website. I'm curious whether the vehicle is bought in the
traveller's name. If so, I don't understand how it can be legal. Maybe
it's more a leasing service. They have absolutely no clue on any of
their pages as to how it works.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

I don't think that it can be a lease since several of the testimonials
refer to selling to a dealer at the end with one doing so because an
individual buyer could not be found. You're right they don't say much
in detail. The mechanics of "The Arctic Ocean to the Straits of
"Magellan" would frighten me but it may just be PR bull since the
testimonials all refer to the US & Canada. FFM