UK -> USA, working.

Old January 9th, 2004, 12:32 PM
dj152

Default UK -> USA, working.

Hi All!!

so here's the deal. I'm 19, and live in London, England. I want something
different, for about 6 months or so. I can do this only now really, because i'm
young and have no ties that bind!!

I love the USA... and what i'd want to do is work there for around 6 months.
And, i'm not looking for a career.. just something that means I can afford to
stay out there for those months. Thing is, i'm not sure if this is even
possible? And where is the best place to work? Is it easy to get jobs?

I'll work anywhere, even Mcdonalds if need be.. as long as I have money for
accomadation and a bit of food that's all I need. I just want to fly away to
somewhere new...

What is the best way about getting a Visa, enabling me to work? I've tried
looking on the net but not all the information is helpful.

If any of you could email me with some advice or anything i'd be eternally
grateful!! Looking to leave around june time...

Dan

~leave what you've lost, leave what's grown old.... on thunder road...~

Old January 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Keith Willshaw

"dj152" wrote in message
[...]

One option is working in a summer camp or national park

http://www.culturalcube.co.uk/
http://www.campamerica.co.uk/
http://www.ccusa.com/CCUSA/why_do_ccusa.html
http://www.gpihr.com/international_applicants.htm

Keith

Old January 9th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Bob F.

"dj152" wrote in message
Hi All!!

so here's the deal. I'm 19, and live in London, England. I want something
different, for about 6 months or so. I can do this only now really,

because i'm
young and have no ties that bind!!

I love the USA... and what i'd want to do is work there for around 6

months.
And, i'm not looking for a career.. just something that means I can afford

stay out there for those months. Thing is, i'm not sure if this is even
possible? And where is the best place to work? Is it easy to get jobs?

The best place to work is wherever you want to be. You aren't going to get
a work visa unless your father is a high-level diplomat. Go to the USA in a
tourist visa, then work "under the table" (can you tell the I'm in the USA
now?). You can get work in most privately-owned bars, clubs, restaraunts,
car-washes. Most Americans are suckers for English accents. I recommend
privately owned versus franchise or "chain" establishments because they
would be willing to set up an agreement for a good worker. The franchises
(McDonalds, Burger King, etc) will want to see visas and social security
cards. Another good place to work in this, ahem, capacity, would be a
cleaning company that cleans office buildings. Lots of these companies
here, lots of good clean manual labor (at nights), with very few people
around.

You shouldn't have too much problem working as long as you come as a tourist
and are willing to network and scrap around with manual labor.

Don't forget that I'm American, never tried this myself in a foreign
country, but that how it works according to some of the "illegals" that I
know. Also don't forget that you could get deported doing this, but very
slim chances, especially in the larger cities and burgs.

Go guerrilla and do it on a tourist visa.

Old January 9th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Peter L

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..
"dj152" wrote in message
Hi All!!

so here's the deal. I'm 19, and live in London, England. I want

something
different, for about 6 months or so. I can do this only now really,

because i'm
young and have no ties that bind!!

I love the USA... and what i'd want to do is work there for around 6

months.
And, i'm not looking for a career.. just something that means I can

afford
stay out there for those months. Thing is, i'm not sure if this is even
possible? And where is the best place to work? Is it easy to get jobs?

The best place to work is wherever you want to be. You aren't going to

get
a work visa unless your father is a high-level diplomat.

Not true at all. There are work visas available.

Old January 10th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Miles

Alan Pollock wrote:
Compared to European countries there's high unemployment here? First I've
heard of it. Here in San Diego the type of jobs he's looking for are coming
out of people's ears. Even *with* the huge number of illegal aliens in the
area. Nex

Economy is looking great here in AZ. 2003 was a good year for me.

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
dismum

you can only stay for 90 days on the visa waiver a visa to stay up to 6 months will cost you £67 and you won't be allowed to work anyway .When you go through immigration they will want to know the ins and outs of where you will be staying during your visit and if you can't satisfy them they will put you on the next flight back home .The only way is to go through the proper channels and join a scheme such as was suggested like a summer camo who wilkl do the paper work for you .If you decide to ignore all advice and go anyway bear in mind if you are refused admission to the dstates once its hard everytime to get in .Security has become a major thing since 9-11 and the immigration officer has the final say on whether or not you enter the country.I have a second home there ans still get third degree at the airport .