NZ Car Hire- Be Careful!

Old September 24th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Dixon Trumper

Default NZ Car Hire- Be Careful!

Hi All,

I have just finished arranging a fly/ drive for my self and family in NZ.

I booked a car through a car hire broker over the web which was cheaper than
what I could have got through a travel agent. I made the "mistake" of
looking up the company the car had been arranged through and found it was
NZ$86 cheaper for exactly the same car if I had gone direct.

I twice emailed the broker to ask why such a big difference but no reply. I
cancelled the booking, losing the NZ$64 deposit I had paid but still saved
money. It was a matter of principle as well, and if this experience can help
others who are new to arranging their own travels these kind of rip off
merchants won't be getting as much business.

Regards

Dixon

Old September 24th, 2003, 04:08 PM

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:56:35 +1000, "Dixon Trumper"
wrote:

Hi All,

I have just finished arranging a fly/ drive for my self and family in NZ.

I booked a car through a car hire broker over the web which was cheaper than
what I could have got through a travel agent. I made the "mistake" of
looking up the company the car had been arranged through and found it was
NZ$86 cheaper for exactly the same car if I had gone direct.

I twice emailed the broker to ask why such a big difference but no reply. I
cancelled the booking, losing the NZ$64 deposit I had paid but still saved
money. It was a matter of principle as well, and if this experience can help
others who are new to arranging their own travels these kind of rip off
merchants won't be getting as much business.

Regards

Dixon

If I am reading this right, you cancelled the booking loosing the $64
deposit to save yourself $22?

You chose to use a broker in the first place.
Brokers no matter what line of business they are in, charge a
commission. Anyone who thinks they work for free has to be nuts.

You chose to use a broker in the first place.
The broker got you a 'better price' than you were able to find
through a travel agent.

Next time, do a lot more web searching and do not use a broker.

Caveat Emptor.

Cath
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Dixon Trumper

wrote:

[...]

$86-$64=$22, yes, that is correct.

You chose to use a broker in the first place.
Brokers no matter what line of business they are in, charge a
commission. Anyone who thinks they work for free has to be nuts.

You chose to use a broker in the first place.
The broker got you a 'better price' than you were able to find
through a travel agent.

You are correct again, no arguement!

Next time, do a lot more web searching and do not use a broker.

Caveat Emptor.

Correct yet again! This is exactly the point I was trying to get across to
those not experience like I am.
I have since got an email back from the company saying that the hire company
did not let them know of a change in their rates when they would normally do
so.
I also took the loss on the deposit to gain $22 as a matter of principle in
looking for the best possible deal. Caveat Emptoring..... if you like!

Cath

Old September 25th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Matt Kelly

Excellent points, Cathy. That prompts the question-- anybody know a cheap,
reputable car hire company in NZ? I'd like to rent one when I arrive next
month and had been wondering how best to approach it, either looking on the
Web now or just finding one once I'm on the ground.

-matty

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:21 PM

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:32:28 GMT, "Matt Kelly"
wrote:

Excellent points, Cathy. That prompts the question-- anybody know a cheap,
reputable car hire company in NZ? I'd like to rent one when I arrive next
month and had been wondering how best to approach it, either looking on the
Web now or just finding one once I'm on the ground.

-matty

Try

http://yellowpages.co.nz/all-categor...les/index.html

If you have the time, you should be able to sort through the above
links and find something suitable.

If your travelling around, just ensure there is some form of
mechanical backup available should anything go wrong in the boondocks.

Many people don't realise if something goes wrong where there is no
office or agent of the company, they are required to pay up then seek
reimbursement. If the car craps out, your in the poop also.

Also be aware of those that require a minimum hire period - such as 20
days.

Cath

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:22 PM
trk

Hi,
We have used Apex twice (second time starts today -yippee!) we have found
their price to be very competetive, and their service extremely good.
Although from all reports, I have never seen a complaint about any of the NZ
car hire companies - and all seem very happy to deal direct

One thing to watch is the arrangments for travel from the North to the South
Island (and vice versa) some companies do it differently.

Some will let you change cars and not have to pay the ferry fee.
Regards
Trevor