Stay away from JetBlue

Old September 9th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Stay away from JetBlue

bjmpls wrote:
Allow me to share my contrarian view of JetBlue, which seems to have
garnered tons of oo's and ah's among the non-cognescenti.

First of all, the planes (all Airbus 319s) are crammed with seats.

You might want to check with the cognoscenti on that one - they only fly
A320s.

No space like what you find on other airlines separating the economy and
first-class cabins and also providing room to stretch your legs.

So go to the back. Every recent domestic flight I've been on we've been told
not to stand around in the front anyway.

On JetBlue, the seats start right behind the cockpit and go all the way to
the back with no breaks.

Goodness gracious.

In addition, the aisle between the seats (three on each side) is
narrower by about 5 inches than the aisles on other major carriers.

How can this be? Everyone else that I know of flies their A320s 3x3. Where
are those 5 inches coming from? Wider seats? And how would the drink carts
fit?

The touted leather seats are really synthetic leather

I don't believe that to be true (would they have managed to lie in their
publicity materials for this long and not get called on it by anyone but an
anonymous newsgroup poster?) but honestly, why on earth should I care? I
don't get the leather seat thing in the first place. I keep my clothes on in
the plane, so I don't feel the material much.

and are narrow, with almost no leg room. Beware if you are over 5'11" --
the seat tray will not come all the way down (your thighs are in the
way!).

So the seats are narrow and the aisles are narrow and yet they have the same
number of seats across as everyone else.

I'm 6'5" and I manage to sleep on their red-eyes.

The DirectTV features mostly news, sports, and the home shopping network.

I agree that the channel selection isn't anything to write home about. On
the other hand, it's far better than everyone else.

And the screens of your neighbors are not dimmed when viewed from an
angle, but intrude into your peripheral vision.

I doubt this very much. The reason those screens are hard to view from an
angle isn't out of privacy or disturbance concerns, but because that's how
the LCD technology works.

Plus the el cheapo earphones bleed sound so you hear what everyone else is
listening to.

They're the same as half the airlines out there. Bring you own if you want
better.

The plane I was on was not particularly clean, apparently because
JetBlue does not clean planes between flights. That's right.
Instead, they ask the passengers to clean up as they leave!

The crew does a quick pass on the turnaround, just like Southwest. This
means less delays and cheaper flights. When the plane gets back home it gets
cleaned properly.

And the food? Packaged, unhealhy snacks -- cookies, candy, and "blue"
potatoe chips (goody!).

You're comparing to what exactly? The Orient Express? Maybe if you ask
nicely, next time they can present you with a fresh-tossed caesar salad and
grill you a salmon in the aisle next to your seat, like the other airlines
do.

Blue chips come from blue potatoes. Remember the Burpee catalog?

I arrived in Denver tired and irritated. But I did save money over a
United flight: Exactly $7.25.

Every time I've used Jetblue I've been pleased. Maybe you were already tired
and irritated before you got on the plane?

miguel
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:53 AM
CrossmenSop99

What do people want out of an Airline?
Some people expect airlines to wipe their ass. The airline industry is a part
of the Department of Transportation. You pay money to get from point A to
point B very quickly. I just took a road trip from South Florida to
Philadelphia; it took 18 hours. I spent over $120 in gas. Not to mention a
couple of tolls, food etc. Then there's traffic and all the other BS you deal
with on the road.
The flight from TPA to PHL is 2:10 minutes flight time to travel 1041 miles. I
usually spend $180-300. Remove the giant stick from your ass. Your money goes
to getting you where you need to go safely and efficiently. I personally
rather sit on a board of nails in the cargo compartment for 2 hours then drive
18 hours. Take those complaints about leg room, cheapo (free) earphones,
Direct TV and stick them in your ass along with that giant stick. I fly all
the time way more then 300k a year. It's people like you that run airlines
into the ground. People want so much for $200-$300. Let's not forget that
airline has to pay landing fees (around $60k just to land), gate leases, fuel
cost. The list goes on. After that, that may make some sort of profit so they
can pay their employee who take abuse from assholes like you who complain about
the quality of the (free) ear phones, and the leather seating. Just be happy
that your flight lands on the runway and not into a side of a tall building. Be
a little grateful. Air travel a great thing, I'd never take it for granite. If
your flight got you from point A to point B, they done there job.

Old September 17th, 2003, 07:15 AM
mrtravel

CrossmenSop99 wrote:
Let's not forget that
airline has to pay landing fees (around $60k just to land), gate leases, fuel
cost.

$60,000 per year to land. Is that for a year, month, week???

Old September 18th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Jim Anderson

"mrtravel" wrote in message
news
CrossmenSop99 wrote:
Let's not forget that
airline has to pay landing fees (around $60k just to land), gate leases,

fuel
cost.

$60,000 per year to land. Is that for a year, month, week???

Per flight, I venture to guess....

Old September 18th, 2003, 01:59 AM
mrtravel

Jim Anderson wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
news
CrossmenSop99 wrote:

Let's not forget that
airline has to pay landing fees (around $60k just to land), gate leases,

fuel

cost.

$60,000 per year to land. Is that for a year, month, week???

Per flight, I venture to guess....

??

So, if you have 120 people on the plane, that would be $500 per
passenger. That doesn't sound right.

Old September 18th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Jim Anderson

"mrtravel" wrote in message
.com...
Jim Anderson wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
news
CrossmenSop99 wrote:

Let's not forget that
airline has to pay landing fees (around $60k just to land), gate

leases,

fuel

cost.

$60,000 per year to land. Is that for a year, month, week???

Per flight, I venture to guess....

??

So, if you have 120 people on the plane, that would be $500 per
passenger. That doesn't sound right.

Good point. I also think that landing fees at LGA or JFK will be more than,
say... Albany, NY and Charleston, WV...