Solstice and motion sickness

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Default Solstice and motion sickness

Several people commented to me that there was something about the
Solstice's motion- particularly in the first few days- that gave them
more motion sickness-type grief than other ships. I don't get motion
sick easily, and didn't have any problems. Did anyone else notice
unusual or odd movement aboard the Solstice?

Also- are the stabilizers "tunable" or "adjustable" aboard a cruise
ship. For instance, are they "dialed in" over time?
--
Nonny
Some people are like a Slinky: not really
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Nonnymus" wrote in message
Several people commented to me that there was something about the
Solstice's motion- particularly in the first few days- that gave them more
motion sickness-type grief than other ships. I don't get motion sick
easily, and didn't have any problems. Did anyone else notice unusual or
odd movement aboard the Solstice?

Hi Nonny,
We did not experience any motion at all on the Solstice; in fact I was
puzzled that anyone complained. To me, it seemed a rather smooth sailing.

--Jean

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Nonnymus wrote:
Several people commented to me that there was something about the
Solstice's motion- particularly in the first few days- that gave them
more motion sickness-type grief than other ships. I don't get motion
sick easily, and didn't have any problems. Did anyone else notice
unusual or odd movement aboard the Solstice?

We both thought the Solstice handled the seas just fine, but then we
never get sea sick. People have to realize that it is a ship on the
ocean and there is going to be a little movement.

sue
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Sue Mullen wrote:

We both thought the Solstice handled the seas just fine, but then we
never get sea sick. People have to realize that it is a ship on the
ocean and there is going to be a little movement.

I read reports about a lot motion on other forums. It is sounding like
it does not effect those of us who don't get sea sick but those who do
get sea sick feel the motion more than they do normaly.

--
Charles
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

We both thought the Solstice handled the seas just fine, but then we
never get sea sick. People have to realize that it is a ship on the
ocean and there is going to be a little movement.

I read reports about a lot motion on other forums. It is sounding like
it does not effect those of us who don't get sea sick but those who do
get sea sick feel the motion more than they do normaly.

I may not get sea sick, but I do know when the ship is rocking and on
this cruise it was NOT rocking. For a few minutes one day we felt a
jerky movement, right, left the right and left again. This felt like
someone goofed and made a correction, maybe turned too quickly. Other
then that minute or two the ship was very smooth.

When we were on the Carnival Legend at Halloween, now then the seas were
very rough and there were barf bags all over the ship. Even though I
don't get seasick, I knew the ship was not very smooth in the rough seas.

sue
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Charles wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

We both thought the Solstice handled the seas just fine, but then we
never get sea sick. People have to realize that it is a ship on the
ocean and there is going to be a little movement.

I read reports about a lot motion on other forums. It is sounding like
it does not effect those of us who don't get sea sick but those who do
get sea sick feel the motion more than they do normaly.

One in our group has a fairly "tender" tummy and experienced sea
sickness (perhaps) for the first time. Other than that, nobody else had
any problems. The comment was actually made to me by others than our
own group. Personally, I did detect motion. However, I actually enjoy
motion and consider it a neutral-to-positive experience on a ship. This
is particularly true when sleeping.

One person speculated to me that with the Solstice being so new, that
they might still be experimenting with the stabilizer system to tune it,
or dial it in. That was the reason for the question following my post.
It makes sense that a stabilization system for such a new and massive
ship might need tuning.

--
Nonny
Elected officials should wear
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Feb 20, 12:26�pm, Sue Mullen wrote:
Charles wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

[...]

I have found what I feel as NOT rocking is ROCKING away to others.
Last cruise I forgot I was on a ship and there is little Renee saying
WOW this is really rocking? and I said ROCKING whats Rocking? it ws
smotth as silk. But the Solstice does have Staabilizer probs I been
told!
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_6_]

Charles wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

We both thought the Solstice handled the seas just fine, but then we
never get sea sick. People have to realize that it is a ship on the
ocean and there is going to be a little movement.

I read reports about a lot motion on other forums. It is sounding like
it does not effect those of us who don't get sea sick but those who do
get sea sick feel the motion more than they do normaly.

I usually take Bonine once a day when on a cruise. On the Solstice, I
found it to be such smooth sailing that it wasn't needed at all. Deck 9
rocks, but doesn't roll. LOL

Ermalee
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Ermalee" wrote in message
Charles wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

We both thought the Solstice handled the seas just fine, but then we
never get sea sick. People have to realize that it is a ship on the ocean
and there is going to be a little movement.

I read reports about a lot motion on other forums. It is sounding like
it does not effect those of us who don't get sea sick but those who do
get sea sick feel the motion more than they do normaly.

I usually take Bonine once a day when on a cruise. On the Solstice, I
found it to be such smooth sailing that it wasn't needed at all. Deck 9
rocks, but doesn't roll. LOL

Ermalee

That's for sure, Erm!!!
--Jean ;-)

Old February 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Nonnymus :

Several people commented to me that there was something about the
Solstice's motion- particularly in the first few days- that gave them
more motion sickness-type grief than other ships. I don't get motion
sick easily, and didn't have any problems. Did anyone else notice
unusual or odd movement aboard the Solstice?

Also- are the stabilizers "tunable" or "adjustable" aboard a cruise
ship. For instance, are they "dialed in" over time?

Well, can't address the first question. But, the stabs are dynamic.
What they do is to sense the motion and deploy appropriately to
correct it. Sea trials are supposed to work out the issues, but this
doesn't always happen. The stabs depend on feedback to work properly.
Also, they are slow, so sudden changes get slow responses.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Hi, I'm Michael Phelps and Olympic Gold isn't the only
Gold I'm thinking of.

Hi, I'm Michael Phelps and when I'm on Maui, Wowwie.