short weekend trip to NYC from toronto

Old October 27th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Default short weekend trip to NYC from toronto

Hi,

I am looking for some advice. My girlfriend and I would like to visit
NYC for the first time for a weekend for her birthday, and would like
to know the best way (cheap as reasonably possible) to do this. I
would like:

- to be near major tourist attractions or close to the subway to get us
there
- we are mostly looking to go shopping, if that makes any difference
- we would like to spend approx. $150/$200 a night for hotel
- any ideas on how to get there cheaply? right now it looks like a
greyhound bus round trip will cost us about $200/each

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Old October 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM

stay around times square.....if its your first time, leave the little
neighborhoods for the next trip.....enjoy the lights, the hustle the
bustle.....

Chuck

Old October 28th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Rog'

wrote:
I am looking for some advice. My girlfriend and I would
like to visit NYC for the first time for a weekend for her
birthday, and would like to know the best way (cheap as
reasonably possible) to do this. I would like:
- to be near major tourist attractions or close to the subway

One way to do it is to stay in the 'burbs and take a commuter
train into the city. Look at
www.mta.nyc.ny.us/ for maps on
where the trains run and subway maps. I like to stay in New
Rochelle at the Residence Inn. Its within walking distance of
the station and only 30 minutes from Grand Central. But if you
want to stay in the city, Choice Hotels has several reasonably
priced properties, or you can use an online reservation service.
I like www.sidestep.com searches across multiple websites.

I'd be a good idea to check rates and availability B4 picking a
weekend. I goofed and purchased tickets for 11/3-11/6. It
coincides with the NYC Marathon. The City is full up and
prices are sky-high. I was lucky to find a room in Hotel Metro
in Midtown for $290/nite. =R=

Old October 28th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Brian Wickham

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:39:20 -0400, "Rog'"
wrote:

I'd be a good idea to check rates and availability B4 picking a
weekend. I goofed and purchased tickets for 11/3-11/6. It
coincides with the NYC Marathon. The City is full up and
prices are sky-high. I was lucky to find a room in Hotel Metro
in Midtown for $290/nite. =R=

you were VERY lucky to find something. The city is booked solid
through Christmas and I hear that January is starting to get tight.

Brian Wickham
Old October 28th, 2005, 04:44 PM

We are mostly going to be shopping for clothes. Designer labels that
arent available in Canada, also other outlets too where we can get
stuff for cheap thats not available in Toronto. Where are the best
places to find these?