Saint Petersburg

Old September 17th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Karen Selwyn

KathyDFrog wrote:

Over a decade since the brutal commies went bankrupt
their evil presence still hangs over Russia. Imagine a place locked in rust
bowl 1950's gloom, run down trolley cars move sullen citizens through
dilapidated streets, teens drink beer at 10:00 AM, citizens are silent for fear
that an informant will report them, round slavic women peddle watermellons in
the midst of squalor, while sullen policemen solicit bribes from frightened
tourists.

The original post is extremely well written and, as such, makes a very
persuasive case. Unfortunately for those who are moved by the excellent
writing, the content bears little resemblance to reality. Oh, I'm in no
position to say that another woman did or did not agree with Kathy
DFrog's opinion. Ditto for the opinion of someone who works on the ship.
And, admittedly, the "wealth and spectacle" she mentions definitely
exists. However, everything else reflects Ms. DFrog's own perspective
rather than an absolute statement about the way things are in St.
Petersburg.

Karen Selwyn

Old September 18th, 2004, 12:24 AM
RayC

KathyDFrog wrote:
snip Russia is the worst place I've
ever visited-I will never return!

Perhaps you shouldn't go ANYWHERE hat was under communist
control. It seems to me that you went there with hatred in
your heart and saw only what you wanted to see. Yes, there
is dirt, dilapidation, evidence of grand times gone bad and
lots of paranoid citizens. But you will find that in every
major city in the world. But because they were "commies",
as you so eloquently put it, you chose to hate everything
you saw.

Yes, communism brought hard times to the people of Russia.
But there are lots of countries that have communist leanings
and ruling them out as ports of call may keep you locked up
on the ship for your whole cruise.

The whole world isn't made up of colorfully costumed dancing
girls and marimba playing natives. I suggest you get used
to it or stay home.

Just my $.02

Ray Contreras

Old September 18th, 2004, 02:14 AM
KathyDFrog

erhaps you shouldn't go ANYWHERE hat was under communist
control. It seems to me that you went there with hatred in
your heart and saw only what you wanted to see.

Do we have some ex-Reds in this newsgroup? The Communists slaughtered over
100 million of there own people. Most of this was by the Russians. Yes I
despise everything communism stands for.

Shame on you and I certainly question your humanity and empathy for those
murdered Ukrainians, Finns, Latvians and various political prisoners
slaughtered by the "evil empire".

Before visiting Russia I had hoped that Russia had civilized itself at least a
little, since the bankruptcy of the Red state. I was wrong.

Why defend Russia-are you Russian? Or are you a Communist? If you were
American, you would know that Russian communism has terrorized the USA since
its inception in 1917.
Old September 18th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Norman Bates

Charles wrote:

Frog is a known troll who returns to post garbage from time to time.

I hear that she's married to Ross Klein. Any truth to that?

Old September 18th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Norman Bates

Old September 18th, 2004, 07:16 AM
RayC

KathyDFrog wrote:

Why defend Russia-are you Russian? Or are you a Communist? If you were
American, you would know that Russian communism has terrorized the USA since
its inception in 1917.

Yes, it is still hard for people to get used to living a
little more "free". They have been under oppression for so
long, they don't know any different! Plus, it is still not
a totally free society. The country is headed by a former
KGB chief!

Hating the Russian people because of how their government is
run makes just as much sense as the radical Islamic that
hate everybody that isn't Muslim. If your heart is so full
of hatred for Communists and the people that were once ruled
by Communism, then you better stay out of most of the
European countries as it had spread to almost every one at
one time or another. And if you don't want to have anything
to do with any country where there was any sort of
humanitarian shortcomings, then, like I said before, stay on
the boat because EVERY country has done wrong in the past
.... even the US.

Of course, I am not defending the "Soviet Society" ... only
the innocent Russian people that make a good living selling
us Americans (and others) trinkets, baubles and gewgaws when
we get off our floating palaces.

Oh, and as far as my being Russian ... nope. I am a
fiercely American. I just am very saddened by people that
insist on being "Ugly Americans" by spewing hatred and
refusing to learn anything from past mistakes.

I feel sorry for you. With all that blackness in your
heart, I am afraid that you will never really learn to
appreciate other cultures, peoples and places and fully
enjoy the cruising experience.

Don't go back to Russia. We don't want you representing US
there.

--

Ray Contreras
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:26 PM
WolfpackFan

KathyDFrog wrote:

Why defend Russia-are you Russian? Or are you a Communist? If you were
American, you would know that Russian communism has terrorized the USA since
its inception in 1917.

I guess that includes World War II when they were our allies. Sheesh,
what an idiot.