Michelin PDA Maps

Old September 27th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Mark Fagan

Default Michelin PDA Maps

Has anybody used the Michelin PDA map software, specifically with a Palm OS
5 + GPS device like the Garmin iQue 3600?

It says on the site that you can download it and find your location on the
maps, navigate, etc. using the GPS. Since Mapsource wants over $500 for
their Europe disk, and it only offers partial coverage in France, I'm
considering this as an alternative. The
Belgium-France-Luxembourg-Switzerland set is only 59 euros, and you can add
the Red Guide for about the same.

Old September 27th, 2004, 08:37 PM
jcoulter

[posted and mailed]

"Mark Fagan" wrote in
:

Has anybody used the Michelin PDA map software, specifically with a
Palm OS 5 + GPS device like the Garmin iQue 3600?

It says on the site that you can download it and find your location on
the maps, navigate, etc. using the GPS. Since Mapsource wants over
$500 for their Europe disk, and it only offers partial coverage in
France, I'm considering this as an alternative. The
Belgium-France-Luxembourg-Switzerland set is only 59 euros, and you
can add the Red Guide for about the same.

I have posted this to rec.travel.europe thinking someone there may have
experience with said product

Old September 27th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Des O'Donoghue

jcoulter wrote:

[posted and mailed]

"Mark Fagan" wrote in
:

Has anybody used the Michelin PDA map software, specifically with a
Palm OS 5 + GPS device like the Garmin iQue 3600?

It says on the site that you can download it and find your location on
the maps, navigate, etc. using the GPS. Since Mapsource wants over
$500 for their Europe disk, and it only offers partial coverage in
France, I'm considering this as an alternative. The
Belgium-France-Luxembourg-Switzerland set is only 59 euros, and you
can add the Red Guide for about the same.

I have posted this to rec.travel.europe thinking someone there may have
experience with said product

The Michelin online maps are good. Falk also offer PDA maps as do
TomTom. I have used TomTom on a Palm m505 in France and it was ok. The
increased resolution from OS5 and associated newer devices should help
as well. IF you are looking for cables to connect the two devices try
www.pfranc.com - they make generic type connectors at cheaper than
Garmin prices...you should look at brackets etc for use on the move.
Old September 28th, 2004, 05:12 AM
randee

Seems to me mapquest maps for the Palm PDA are pretty useless; I thought
of getting the Michelin ones, but once I saw how bad the mapquest ones
were, I did not pursue it. I think it is because you can't fit enough
detail on the small size of a pda screen, but as always YMMV. I think
I'll continue to manage with hard copy maps. I'm still trying to decide
if PDA's are worth it for timetables, since overlaying timetables does
not seem to work.
--
wf.

jcoulter wrote:

[posted and mailed]

"Mark Fagan" wrote in
:

Old September 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Mark Fagan

Further research has shown that probably you can't use the Michelin maps,
because they require the GPS unit to provide WGS84 map datum info (which the
iQue 3600 does) and NMEA 2.0 info (which it doesn't). However, a company
called Fugawi (www.fugawi.com) offers World maps & charts, marine maps,
topographical maps and street maps for Canada, USA, Europe and South Africa.
Their Europe Streets disks are only US$59 each for $118 for all four. Their
coverage of France seems more complete than Mapsource's. You also need to
purchase their basic navigation software (only once, then you can use any of
the map disks) which is $99 with USA Streets included, or $109 with Canada
Streets.

I think you could still use the Michelin Red Guide software with these, as a
source for waypoints for routing to hotels, restaurants, etc.

"Des O'Donoghue" wrote in message
jcoulter wrote:

[posted and mailed]

"Mark Fagan" wrote in
:

Old September 28th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Larry

Mark Fagan wrote:
Has anybody used the Michelin PDA map software, specifically with a

Palm OS
5 + GPS device like the Garmin iQue 3600?

It says on the site that you can download it and find your location

on the
maps, navigate, etc. using the GPS. Since Mapsource wants over $500

for
their Europe disk, and it only offers partial coverage in France, I'm

considering this as an alternative. The
Belgium-France-Luxembourg-Switzerland set is only 59 euros, and you

can add
the Red Guide for about the same.

Mapopolis has relatively complete GPS-ready maps for Europe at a
reasonable price. You can only get them at www.handango.com. They are
not on the Mapopolis site itself.

Larry

Old September 29th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Mark Fagan

So far I haven't found a full set of Europe maps, but there is a utility
that seems to provide support for NMEA, which the Michelin map software
requires and the iQue 3600 doesn't have. I'll have to investigate this
more.

"Larry" wrote in message
oups.com...