Eastern Europe

Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
tile

history is hystory and the Republic of venice had been existing for many
years before Mussolini came.
Venice had been defending Europe from the Turks.. and not only was in
Dalmatia but also in the greek islands like Cyprus ( the opea Othello
speaks about a Venetian Admiral )Rodi and Creta.
if the are only about 35.000 venetian speaking people.. it is because
350.000 were thrown out and 20 to 30.000 were killed.. mainly thrown alive
in big ditches.. ( calle Foiba)

as to italian.. it is an official language in istria. were most of the
indications are bilingual.

I have never heard in my life that Venice was a bad ruler..
and again after the Venetian republic ( or san Marco's republic) dalmatia
was under the Austrian empire.
again. venetian was the official language.. and austrian. but never
croatian.

as far as I know. Italy has always respected minority rights. while
Yugoslavia has not.-

but in those times ( after the second wordl war) Tito was necessary as a
cushion between the two blocks.

as far as I know.. Tito is considered as big a criminal as Stalin or
Milosevic.

but in those times it was necessary.

Peace treaties are peace treaties.
go and read the Paris peace treaty.
and you will see that the B zone had never been assigned to Yugoslavia.
and do not tell me that 350.000 people left everything willingly..
and whatever you may say. venetian speaking people were the majority in all
big towns.
again. Croatian names never existed,,
some of the existing names have been
modified. some have been invented ..

many venetian people during the first world war served in the austrian army.
while many escaped and served in the italian army.
those who were captured were immediately linched by the austrians as
Traitors..
Venice was never an Empire.. but a Republic. ( in italy it extended as far
as the Lombardia region.. where the Spanish people ruled.. and the Garda
lake was the border.. )
we owe to Venice the final battle that defeated the otoman empire..
catholic people still celebrate that date. december 8..
it was the sea battle of Lepanto..
This victory is due mainly to the fact that Venice introduced for the first
time the Side guns in war ships..
while the decline of the Venetian Republic was due to the fact that
Portoguises opened a second way around Africa to the lands where spices
where coming from.
when Napoleon defeated Venice. decline was almost at its end.
"Jack Campin - bogus address" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
Padraig Breathnach wrote:
"tile" wrote:
when you go to Croazia.. just pay attention at the ancient monuments.
and that will maybe recall to yr memory that all the coast was once
Republic of Venice..

Thanks for that, Sandro.
I really like to have background like that when I visit a place. It
can help me get some understanding of it. I had a general impression
that the Venetian influence was significant along the Dalmatian coast.
it seemed quite interesting to us because we have recently been in
Venice.

Basically what you were thanking him for was giving you Mussolini's
version of the history of the Adriatic. (The Venetian Empire was a
series of sickening atrocities lasting for centuries, and Dalmatia
probably suffered worse than anywhere).

Try Marcus Tanner's "Croatia: A Nation Forged in War" for another
view. Tanner is an American liberal academic political scientist,
and I find a few problems with his way of looking at things, but
at least he isn't a fascist.

Sadly, the fact that many people there speak Italian is of little
help to us!

Read "a small minority of people speak Italian". Mainly in Zadar, and
I would guess that shopkeepers in the centre of Split have to know it.

you have Rijeka .. it was Fiume

Which had the dubious honour of being the first place in the world to
experience a Fascist regime, under d'Annunzio, who pioneered what
Mussolini applied to the whole of Italy and much of North Africa soon
after. The locals prefer to forget about the whole period and I guess
you can't blame them.

The Rough Guide to Croatia is okay on the historical background too.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:21:01 GMT, "Timothy Kroesen"
wrote:

Thanks' it's appreciated! However when bartender at the Kamms Corners
"Public House" (Residing on Achille Island, Mayo Ireland 4-5 months per
year) speaks of "taking the ****" he *does* mean drinking alcohol.

Sorry, but "taking the ****" doesn't mean drinking alcohol, although
it could easily be confused as such when I think about the usage. It
definitely (and exclusively) means "to make fun of" (or "to mock" if
you're American). The expression applies only to British (and Irish)
English, and is not understood in the Americas.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...aking+the+****
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Timothy Kroesen

The pub/club I work at part time (weekend bouncer and a weekday shift or
two as barback) forbids drinking on the job; not the case at the Public
House; located BTW on the west side's infamous 'Green Mile' down Lorain
Ave...g I doubt that they could get workers with the proper brogue
under such barbaric rules!

Funny how the **** induces a brogue in the local 'Irish' who haven't
even visited the homeland...G I'll question Paddy over a pint next
paddle over to the village pump, I will...

Tim K "You *are* a Dutchman" quoth my Grootvader
"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1gvegec.2t8e6izhshjkN%this_address_is_for_spa ...
Padraig Breathnach wrote:

(chancellor of the duchy of

besses
o' th' barn) wrote:

Timothy Kroesen wrote:

Thanks' it's appreciated! However when bartender at the Kamms

Corners
"Public House" (Residing on Achille Island, Mayo Ireland 4-5

months per
year) speaks of "taking the ****" he *does* mean drinking

alcohol.

I find no reason to believe that the phrase may not have more

than one
meaning; indeed connotation and situation may have huge effect in
'slanguage'...

Well, I have no reason to disbelieve you, but it would seem an odd
phrase if it was said without irony, which it might have been. For
example, some people will say, "what's your poison" while not

meaning
something which will _immediately_ make you ill- well, in

moderation
anyway!

I suspect faulty memory, based on over-imbibing.

Indeed. Tim, 'fess up!

Either that, or the
barman was taking the ****.

A barman doing that? Never!

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net

Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Timothy Kroesen

wrote in message
news:1gvegec.2t8e6izhshjkN%this_address_is_for_spa ...
Padraig Breathnach wrote:

(chancellor of the duchy of

besses