Eastern Europe

Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Magda wrote:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:24:47 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Padraig Breathnach
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... Magda wrote:
... On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:44:28 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Padraig Breathnach
... arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :
... ... Magda wrote:
... ...
... ... On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:26:45 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Padraig Breathnach
... ... arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :
... ...
... ... ... "Sarah Banick" wrote:
... ... ...
... ... ...
... ... ... Sadly, the fact that many people there speak Italian is of little help
... ... ... to us!
... ... ...
... ... ... Don't worry Padraig, they are working hard on learning their English (I
... ... ... found a little German helped as well)
... ... ...
... ... ... I'll help them with their English. I have about the same amount of
... ... ... German as I have Italian -- perhaps 50 words and no grammar or syntax.
... ... ... My Italian vocabulary is mainly food-related; my German vocabulary is
... ... ... more eclectic.
... ...
... ... Try using the French grammar when you speak Italian. Close enough.
... ...
... ... I thought you weren't impressed with my command of French.
... Better a three-legged table than no table at all...
... The great advantage of a three-legged table is that it will stand on
... any floor.

I wouldn't try speaking Chinese using French grammar if I were you.

Advice accepted.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
Ulf Kutzner

tile schrieb:

let us name the architect
Bartolomeo Rastrelli from Venice
died in St.Petersburg in 1771
then other italian architects
Michetti
Quarenghi
Rossi
Rinaldi
Chiaveri
Brothers Angeloni
and Trizzini ( from Ticino )

Okay. Let's add:

A. Schlüter, N. Härbel, T. Schwertfeger, B. Münnich;
Andrej Stackenschneider (1802-1865) (hmm, first name is Russian);
Leo von Klenze;
Maximilian Messmacher (1842-1906)...

Well, this is just information from
http://www.deutschesgeneralkonsulat-stpetersburg.ru/de/kultur/katalog/page7.html

Regards, ULF
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Frank F. Matthews

... Magda wrote:
... On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:26:45 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Padraig Breathnach
... arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :
... ... "Sarah Banick" wrote:
... ...
... ...
... ... Sadly, the fact that many people there speak Italian is of little help
... ... to us!
... ...
... ... Don't worry Padraig, they are working hard on learning their English (I
... ... found a little German helped as well)
... ...
... ... I'll help them with their English. I have about the same amount of
... ... German as I have Italian -- perhaps 50 words and no grammar or syntax.
... ... My Italian vocabulary is mainly food-related; my German vocabulary is
... ... more eclectic.
... Try using the French grammar when you speak Italian. Close enough.
... I thought you weren't impressed with my command of French.

Better a three-legged table than no table at all...

Since three legged tables are more stable they are almost always to be
preferred.

Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:43 PM
Gregory Morrow

?ystein wrote:

Belarus has basicly the same visa regulations as Russia, practiced in
a less by-the-book way. Both in Russia and Belarus, you need a
invetation from a hotel in order to get a visa and you have to wait
for days before you pick up your visa in order to not pay an
additional express-fee. Unlike Russia when registering your visa (it
is done for you by your hotel) is to be regarded as your exit permit
from the country, normally noone cares if you register you visa in
Belarus. The tricky thing about Belarus though, is that not many
countrie have an Embassy, making it harder to get a visa (Minsk
International airport probably issue visas on the spot though).

IOW it's a Soviet - style bureaucratic hassle. Why bother?

If you hafe come to a point where you feel you want to see Belarus,
you should really do so and Brest and Minsk is an excellent
combination of places to see. In many respects Belarus and Brest
represents the heart of European history of the 20th centrury, a
history that is manifested in a lot of places there for you to see.

Starting with the most recent history, Belarus represents the last
Siviet State in Europe, offering the closest you can come to what a
Soviet Union anno 2005 might would have been like. Collective farms, a
night at the opera for 3 Euros (and then we talk about a standard few
other European cities can offer), Minsk has is probably the most full
blooded Stalin Baroque style city you can find anywhere, for a couple
of Euros you can cross a country bigger than Great Britain virtually
driving in a time machine, as you probably know Brest is the site
where both the Riebenhof-Molotov treaty where signed, where Lenin sent
Lev Trotsky with a blanco apoval to sign anything that would keep the
be'olsheviks in power in 1917 as well as a place where people in USSR
traveled in order to come as far west as they could in Soviet times.
Go to find out why.

IOW it's a horrible place with a horrible history.

No wonder hardly anyone goes there.

--
Best
Greg

Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Gregory Morrow

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

"Gregory Morrow"
gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net wrote:

The funniest time one of my Usenet "enemies" tried to expose me on

another
newsgroup via Google was when my little "fan" announced to the world that

was an 81 year - old gay Catholic priest living in suburban

Chicago...best
to really do one's "homework" I guess ;-)

So they got your age wrong by a couple of years. Not a big deal.

Lol...more like *30*... ;-)

--
Best
Greg

Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:18 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

In many respects Belarus and Brest represents the heart of
European history of the 20th centrury, a history that is
manifested in a lot of places there for you to see.

IOW it's a horrible place with a horrible history.
No wonder hardly anyone goes there.

Which suggests a question. Where in Europe would you go if you
wanted be within a day trip of the largest possible number of
sites of truly ghastly historical events? - not just the 20th
century. A place that was handy for visiting *more than one*
attraction like the Teutoburger Wald, Montsegur, Mohacs, Ypres,
Auschwitz, the birthplace of Daniel O'Donnell, you name it.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 08:17 AM
tile

at this time.. St. Petersburg had already been built..
Add to this that Italian Architects also worked in Moscow..
I guess Kremlin is also an Italian architect creation..

Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

In many respects Belarus and Brest represents the heart of
European history of the 20th centrury, a history that is
manifested in a lot of places there for you to see.

IOW it's a horrible place with a horrible history.
No wonder hardly anyone goes there.

Which suggests a question. Where in Europe would you go if you
wanted be within a day trip of the largest possible number of
sites of truly ghastly historical events? - not just the 20th
century. A place that was handy for visiting *more than one*
attraction like the Teutoburger Wald, Montsegur, Mohacs, Ypres,
Auschwitz, the birthplace of Daniel O'Donnell, you name it.

I suppose somewhere in northern France. Ghastly things over the 800
years or so thru the 20th century. Documenting then prior to 1750 would
be hard though. The area got worked over pretty consistently over the
centuries.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Frank F. Matthews

nitram wrote:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:12:37 +0200, Magda
wrote:

Better a three-legged table than no table at all...

Milking stool?

A good example of using three legs for stability. The talk was of
tables though.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
?ystein

"tile" wrote in message . ..
let us name the architect
Bartolomeo Rastrelli from Venice
died in St.Petersburg in 1771
then other italian architects
Michetti
Quarenghi
Rossi
Rinaldi
Chiaveri
Brothers Angeloni
and Trizzini ( from Ticino )

He didnæt write Venecian, but European. Everybody but some Americans
know there is no such thing.

Jan