Gourmet tours of Vietnam

Old April 29th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Peter L

Default Gourmet tours of Vietnam

"Lynna Wang" wrote in message
om...
Hi there--

My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet tour of Vietnam
but are a bit overwhelmed by the many tour groups and organizations
out there that offer such tours (we have been primarily searching the
internet). We are wondering if any of you have any suggestions
regarding which groups to be wary of, which ones are reputable, what
we should look for when reviewing the itineraries set out by these
tour companies, any experiences any of you may have had on such
tours...any information that can help point us toward (or away!) from
a particular tour or company would be much appreciated!

My thinking is an organized tour will cost you 50 to 100% more than you can
do it on your own. Vietnam is not like Paris. There aren't that many
gourmet restaurants. Do some research on your own (www.chowhound.com,
international board), and do your own tour.

Thanks in advance,
Lynna

Old April 30th, 2004, 01:57 AM

"Peter L" wrote in message

"Lynna Wang" wrote in message
[...]

Why not just travel around and eat where you want, there are so many small
places that are excellent that you would probably not see on a tour. Ho Chi
Minh City is loaded with resturants, every street has at least one place to
eat, even if it's a pull up cart. I've had some of the best seafood in my
life at a little out of the way place that was in District 3 that I couldn't
even tell you how to get there, but the best snails (5 varieties) and crab
I've had. To kick it all, the meal only cost me about $6 for my wife and I.
Walk around get out of the central part of the city and experiment. I never
have gotten sick from eating the food, but ice water unless it's bottled or
previously boiled is to avoid.

Old April 30th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Bruce Burger

I used to run gourmet tours to other countries (never Vietnam, though
I would have loved to; I have traveled there on my own). I don't do
this anymore, so I have no vested interest in this topic. I'd be
interested to see the companies/itineraries you're looking at, and I'd
be happy to offer my opinion on them.

Regarding the comment that there "aren't many gourmet restaurants" ...
a good gourmet tour is about lots more than gourmet restuarants.
You'll see how local specialties are grown, produced, and cooked.
You'll learn what's what in the markets. You'll go to restaurants
where you can learn about and try local, ethnic, and seasonal
specialties. You'll meet chefs and other people in the food world.
You'll learn about food's role in Vietnamese culture. You'll eat in
private homes and in restaurants that tourists and guidebooks don't
know about. And much more.

There are serious pros AND cons to going on a group tour -- I'm a big
fan of both types of travel -- but in the pro column, a good group
tour can give you authentic experiences that you could never get on
your own.

Bruce Burger
Seattle, WA, USA
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:09 AM
Brian Orion

" Why not just travel around and eat where you want, there are so
many small places that are excellent that you would probably not see on
a tour. Ho Chi Minh City is loaded with resturants, every street has at
least one place to eat, even if it's a pull up cart. I've had some of
the best seafood in my life at a little out of the way place that was in
District 3 that I couldn't even tell you how to get there, but the best
snails (5 varieties) and crab I've had. To kick it all, the meal only
cost me about $6 for my wife and I. Walk around get out of the central
part of the city and experiment. I never have gotten sick from eating
the food, but ice water unless it's bottled or previously boiled is to
avoid."
While enjoying these small places make sure you have massive doses of
Cipro on hand for everyone in your party. I almost died eating at the
small places.
Oh,and don't miss the "little tiger" dish ( cat) or the exquisite
puppy dishes while there with these charming people.