Seattle to Vancouver transfer, for 5 people

Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Seattle to Vancouver transfer, for 5 people

Hello,
(It's been far too long since I last planned a cruise using
rec.travel.cruises, so it's nice to be back. We're sailing on back to
back coastal-and-Alaskan itineraries, starting in San Pedro/LA and
ending in Seattle...12 lovely days of cruising!)

We have a group of 5 (3 adults, 2 children age 3), and will need to get
back to Vancouver after our cruise. With our two strollers, two car
seats, three large suitcases, four carry ons...so just hopping in a
taxi for the bus station won't do.

Amtrak or greyhound bus? -- We've decided that the 5+ hour bus ride
would likely be a bit difficult for our active girls. I'm sure it's
doable, but it might not be overly comfortable. Would still require
getting a taxi van or two taxis to the bus station with all the
luggage.

Train? -- only leaves once a day, at 7:40am. This would require a hotel
overnight, and a taxi in the early am to the train. We are having some
difficulty agreeing on hotels amongst the adults. We'd likely splurge
for business class and friendly redcap service with the luggage. But,
we'd still have to *get* to the train station with all the luggage.

Car rental? We'd need a van or SUV, on a one way rental, but are
having difficulty finding anything affordable (eg under $300US). I did
find an AVIS rental for $287 without any mileage included....This rate
would atleast provide us with transportation for the weekend and a ride
to the Vancouer airport at the end of our stay.

Transfer - RCI doesn't provide a coach transfer to Vancouver on this
itinerary.

As lovely as Seattle surely is, we *do* need to get back home, via
Vancouver!
Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Barbara" wrote in news:1140626694.654408.219910
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Transfer - RCI doesn't provide a coach transfer to Vancouver on this
itinerary.

As lovely as Seattle surely is, we *do* need to get back home, via
Vancouver!
Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

You might try

http://www.quickcoach.com/

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Joseph Coulter wrote in
. 97.136:

"Barbara" wrote in news:1140626694.654408.219910
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Transfer - RCI doesn't provide a coach transfer to Vancouver on this
itinerary.

As lovely as Seattle surely is, we *do* need to get back home, via
Vancouver!
Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

You might try

http://www.quickcoach.com/

And while I don't want to be terribly rude, you might wnat to look at
ground transportation issues before buying airline tickets.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Actually, the need to get back to Vancouver is a little more immediate
for one passenger -- that's where she lives! :-)

The rest of us were prepared to fly home from Seattle, but there are
other relatives in Vancouver we'd like to see (These include the
children's great-grandmother who is now too ill to travel on the
cruise. Our visit to Vancouver will give those relatives a chance to
show the kids around their beautiful city and spend time together.)

When we booked the flight back from Vancouver, we intended to take the
bus, even if it weren't the most comfortable option. However, there has
not been consensus in the group of adults about this, so we're
exploring other options.

Plus, flying back from Seattle would have meant another one way
transfer at that end (Buffalo to our home), or very expensive flights
requiring customs' clearance (direct to our home airport).

Incidently, I did find your comment rude. You assumed what I'd done and
what my factors were, and I'[m failing to see the utility in your
comment.. No wonder people complain about how unfriendly online
communities can be -- luckily I'm an old-timer so I know not to take it
personally! :-)

Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Yes, this is my preference (thought others in my group aren't as keen).
I understand it's a coach and not a van service which would be more
comfortable for the girls. (They're better in their carseats which
can't be installed on bus seats.)

I mentioned the RCI transfer since atleast that way, they'd deal with
our luggage and have enough room for it.

Thanks for your ideas. I appreciated the link more than the "before you
book the airfare" comment, however. :-(

Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:13:18 -0500, "G&G" wrote:

Check out the ferry system.
They are surprisingly fast and comfortable.

Hi,

I don't believe there is a direct ferry between Seattle and Vancouver.
I guess you could go from Seattle to Victoria to Vancouver but I don't
think that is going to be very convenient considering the luggage and
children.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Good thought -- but, sadly, there's no Seattle-Vancouver ferry :-( I
suppose we could disembark in Victoria and take the ferry from there to
Vancouver but we'd miss out on the last night of luxury (well, luxury
compared to home, if not compared to other cruiselines)!

Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Barbara wrote:
Hello,
(It's been far too long since I last planned a cruise using
rec.travel.cruises, so it's nice to be back. We're sailing on back to
back coastal-and-Alaskan itineraries, starting in San Pedro/LA and
ending in Seattle...12 lovely days of cruising!)

We have a group of 5 (3 adults, 2 children age 3), and will need to get
back to Vancouver after our cruise. With our two strollers, two car
seats, three large suitcases, four carry ons...so just hopping in a
taxi for the bus station won't do.

Car rental? We'd need a van or SUV, on a one way rental, but are
having difficulty finding anything affordable (eg under $300US). I did
find an AVIS rental for $287 without any mileage included....This rate
would atleast provide us with transportation for the weekend and a ride
to the Vancouver airport at the end of our stay.

Maybe there's a problem with van or SUV availability for it to be that
expensive ... but we rented one-way from Hertz for like $40 for the
day ... try 2 cars at $40 each ... It's gotta be cheaper ...
One ways are quite common between the two cities ...

Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Ya, we just figured out we'd been looking at rentals for the whole
weekend, at the one way rates! the whole time Duh. I think we've found
our answer -- a one way minivan rental at ~$100US taxes incl with
port-pick up in Seattle, and then renting a minivan locally if need be
in Vancouver. That reduces our costs by 50-60%!

Thanks for the suggestions.