Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Padraig Breathnach writes:

That depends on what else you might want to do. You could watch the
world outside, read a book, work or play at a computer, eat, sip a
drink, converse if you are in company, many other possibilities.

What happens if you have to work for a living?

Old July 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

TOliver writes:

In substantial parts of the world, "swamp coolers" are not only useful but
provide substantial "cooling". Cities such as El Paso and Albuquerque have
many "high dollar" homes with rooftop "swamp coolers" ...

Climates that are hot and extraordinarily dry can benefit from swamp
coolers. Unfortunately, most hot climates are also humidy climates,
and swamp coolers are useless there.

... and until Phoenix set
out to humidify the community, lakes, sprinklers and massive introduction of
surface water, they worked well there....No more.

Yes, although Phoenix still had higher humidity during the so-called
"monsoon season."

Not very good in Florida
or Houston, however, and even in drier climes, you may need to move the
clothes about in your closet frequently to prevent mildew

Mildew means that the climate is too humid for this type of cooling.
In a very dry climate (ideal for evaporative cooling), mildew won't be
a problem, since the humidity even downstream of the swamp cooler
still won't be very high. If you cannot get the temperature down
without greatly raising the humidity, you need air conditioning.

Paris was positively cool with low humidity.

Check the time of day when you do this. Right now it's 33° C with 31%
humidity, and it is not cool, positively or otherwise.

Certainly, many of the more
"modern" buildings of the city ( the unairconditioned sort built since the
reign of the Sun King) ...

The newest hospital in Paris, completed only a short time ago, has no
air conditioning, and windows that don't open. In 2003, it got up to
45° and above inside the hospital. Patients were wheeled periodically
into the operating rooms, the only rooms in the building with any kind
of refrigeration. Some died.

... and the city's
buildings, jammed together to block Winter winds, serve well to block Summer
breezes.

Unfortunately, a typical summer in Paris (even before global warming
became a problem) has almost no breeze at all. The windiest days are
in winter.

Part of the Mixed Manic's problem is his pose as an anchorite
revelling in a cave-like hermitage of isolation, his musty gareet up under
the eaves, so frightened of human contact that he has too little common
sense to go to the nearest park and sit under a tree, wetting his bandanna
and wrapping it about his forehead and removing his heavy denim overall in
exchange for a light cotton shirt, so that he can pour a bit of cool water
over head and shirt and cool his fevered brow and brain.

You seem to think that I lead a life of leisure. I do not. I have to
work, and that work imposes severe constraints on my behavior, dress,
and use of time.

On the other hand, I can recall being in an unheated aprtment in Aix en
Provence one Winter many decades ago (while stuck ashore in Mareseilles,
since "boating had been cancelled" due to rough water for the naval vessels
anchored in the harbor). I don't know if Paris is cold, but Aix was so cold
that I had to burrow into the warm envelopment of a plump girl from Chicago,
an exchange student with whom I exchanged....

What type of job did you have at the time?

That's a suggestion, Mixed Maniac.....Buy an icemaker for your refrigerator,
and store a few wet towels in the freezing compartment alongside.

There are limits to what wet towels and icemakers can do.

There are reasons why mechanical refrigeration was invented, and much
of modern society cannot do without it. Pretending that it's an
unnecessary luxury is ignoring reality. I don't know why people
persist in these delusions. They don't seem to have them when
discussing heating systems; few people dispute the necessity of
heating in cold climates (even though heating in a cold climate is
actually much less necessary than cooling in a hot climate).

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Padraig Breathnach

Mxsmanic wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

That depends on what else you might want to do. You could watch the
world outside, read a book, work or play at a computer, eat, sip a
drink, converse if you are in company, many other possibilities.

What happens if you have to work for a living?

I did mention work. Obviously, it depends on the particular type of
work.

You could prepare classes.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
There are reasons why mechanical refrigeration was invented, and much
of modern society cannot do without it. Pretending that it's an
unnecessary luxury is ignoring reality. I don't know why people
persist in these delusions. They don't seem to have them when
discussing heating systems; few people dispute the necessity of
heating in cold climates (even though heating in a cold climate is
actually much less necessary than cooling in a hot climate).

The reason for this is pretty simple: People know that heating is more
necessary than cooling for comfortable and productive living, within the
range of temperatures that are normally experienced in inhabited areas.

Or maybe everyone else in the universe is wrong and all their past
experiences are wrong and you are right.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Default Heating, cooling, and popular delusions and manias

orange flamingo wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

There are reasons why mechanical refrigeration was invented, and much
of modern society cannot do without it. Pretending that it's an
unnecessary luxury is ignoring reality. I don't know why people
persist in these delusions. They don't seem to have them when
discussing heating systems; few people dispute the necessity of
heating in cold climates (even though heating in a cold climate is
actually much less necessary than cooling in a hot climate).

For some reason it seems most humans don't seem to mind the heat, but
are scared to death of even a little cold.

I've lived most of my life in the American South. I hate the heat,
and anything over 80F is hot to me. I love the cold, but not below
freezing (32F). However, I seem to be in the minority. Most people
it seems are perfectly happy when it's in the 90s even with high
humidity, which is weather that makes me feel miserable. Those same
people start shivering and putting on sweaters if the temperature
drops a degree below 70F.

"Those same people" = " women"

--
Best
Greg

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Keith W[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
TOliver writes:

Paris was positively cool with low humidity.

Check the time of day when you do this. Right now it's 33° C with 31%
humidity, and it is not cool, positively or otherwise.

That depends on where you are comparing it with.

Morgan City is expecting 30+C with 75% humidty
the Dubai has 35C with 47%, Bataam is 32C
with 75% humidity

I have worked in fabrication yards in all 3 cities and
havent much sympathy with your whining.

Keith

Old July 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
nobody[_1_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
It's about both. Fans are no more useful than evaporative cooling
(swamp coolers).

Wrong. With totally stale air, your perspiration evaporates, providing
some cooling, but because the air is not moving, the relative humidity
levels directly near yor skin rises and this slows down sweat
evaporation and renders the process less effective.

With a fan and ambiant temperature below 37°, you get cooling from the
cooler air passing by, as well as more efficient sweat evaporation sicne
you are constantly brought air that is not fully saturated with water
(aka: rtelative humidity 100%).

With ambiant temperature above 37°, the fan will not push cooler air,
but will stuff push air that will help perspiration evaporate and keep
you cool.

And note that when it is very humid, temperatures do not often rise
above body temperature. The really hot temperatures generally happen in
dry climates where your perspiration works fine.

When it is 45° in Bagdhad, there is still more people dying from
american military presence than from heat. (6000 killed in the last 2
months BTW, twice as many as Ossama killed Americans once).
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
nobody[_1_]

The Reid wrote:
sigh, youre playing with the words. The *point* is that *man*
*made* global warming is accepted to be a fact by most
scientists. You are only muddying the water because you dont want
to accept the fact.

BBC recent provided evidence that even the white house has conclusive
proof that global warming is a man made problem, that it IS happening,
and that its impacts are very serious. From day 1,. white house had a
policy of editing those reports to replace certain keywords (aga: "is"
to "might be") and add sentences such as the earth warming up for the
last 100,000 years) to provide the white house with the opportunity to
state that there is no actionalble hard evidence that global warming is
a happening. Some of the scientists who are no longer employed by the
government are starting to speak out on this and mention that they had
received orders from the white house to not speak publically about their
research. The orders didn't come from their bosses at NOAA or NASA, they
came from white house.

One president was almost sent to jail for lying about his private sexual
antics in the oval office. Another is getting away with murder, war
crimes and liying about the environmental state of the whole planet.
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
nobody[_1_]

One more thing:

many office buildings provide insufficient ventilation and air exchange
rates. So while they may reduce temperature and humidity levels, the
concentration of gases , particles emitted by people, furniture, carpets
etc make this a very unhealthy place to spend many hours per day. This
is even worse for those buildings that shut down ventilation after work
hours to save money.

Compare to those, one can be more productive in a building that has
windows that can open and you use a good old fashioned ceiling fan.
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Al Smith

Actually, A/C is extremely common in Asia. Singapore is famous for
its extensive use of A/C, in particular.

Have you been to Singapore? Plenty of people don't use AC, unless you
are talking about office towers and shopping malls. Visit some
residential areas sometime, you'll see curtains flapping in the wind.
You'll also see thousands upon thousands eating at open-air restaurants.

I live a few hours up the road from Singapore, and I sure don't use it.
With a cross-breeze and a fan it's perfectly nice in here. According to
my trusty thermometer it's currently 81F/27C indoors, at 2pm (hottest
part of the day, and it hasn't even rained yet to cool things off).
Marble floors, a thick, insulating roof, and windows on two sides make a
big difference.

When I go to people's houses I would say about 1 in 5 have the AC on
(usually foreigners), despite the fact that almost all of them could
easily afford it.

miguel

Air conditioning is a crutch. Maybe they need it in Phoenix. It
might be argued that people shouldn't even be living in places
where air conditioning is essential.