Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

Default Heating, cooling, and popular delusions and manias

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:35:07 -0400, orange flamingo
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

There are reasons why mechanical refrigeration was invented, and much
of modern society cannot do without it. Pretending that it's an
unnecessary luxury is ignoring reality. I don't know why people
persist in these delusions. They don't seem to have them when
discussing heating systems; few people dispute the necessity of
heating in cold climates (even though heating in a cold climate is
actually much less necessary than cooling in a hot climate).

For some reason it seems most humans don't seem to mind the heat, but
are scared to death of even a little cold.

I've lived most of my life in the American South. I hate the heat,
and anything over 80F is hot to me. I love the cold, but not below
freezing (32F). However, I seem to be in the minority. Most people
it seems are perfectly happy when it's in the 90s even with high
humidity, which is weather that makes me feel miserable. Those same
people start shivering and putting on sweaters if the temperature
drops a degree below 70F. I cannot relate to that at all. It has to
go below 50F before I even start to think about putting on long
sleeves.

You do get used to it after a while. It helps if you stop thinking
about it, and also stop whining - seriously! The whining makes you
feel worse!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On 25 Jul 2006 09:42:44 -0700, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

orange flamingo wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

"Those same people" = " women"

Less body hair maybe?
--
---
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
TOliver

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

"Al Smith" wrote ...

Air conditioning is a crutch. Maybe they need it in Phoenix. It might be
argued that people shouldn't even be living in places where air
conditioning is essential.

Speaking of "crutches", heating is an equal or larger one. Why should
anyone bother to live where it's cold, other than to spend the warm and
pleasant months there?

As for the Mixed Maniac's 33C with 31% humidity, that's positively
salubrious, cool enough to play tennis or 18 holes in the afternoon, so dry
that the sweat disappears before you feel it dripping from your brow.

TMO

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Al Smith

Air conditioning is a crutch. Maybe they need it in Phoenix. It might be
argued that people shouldn't even be living in places where air
conditioning is essential.

Speaking of "crutches", heating is an equal or larger one. Why should
anyone bother to live where it's cold, other than to spend the warm and
pleasant months there?

True enough. As a Canadian, I'm looking forward to global warming.
I expect in a few years to be out in shirt sleeves in January.
Global warming is going to be big for Canada. Invest in Canucks.
Remember, you heard it here first.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
TOliver

"Al Smith" wrote in message
newszuxg.174543$771.89930@edtnps89...
Air conditioning is a crutch. Maybe they need it in Phoenix. It might be
argued that people shouldn't even be living in places where air
conditioning is essential.

Speaking of "crutches", heating is an equal or larger one. Why should
anyone bother to live where it's cold, other than to spend the warm and
pleasant months there?

True enough. As a Canadian, I'm looking forward to global warming. I
expect in a few years to be out in shirt sleeves in January. Global
warming is going to be big for Canada. Invest in Canucks. Remember, you
heard it here first.

No, the truth of the matter is that when the glaciers and permafrost melt,
the water will trickle South, converting the barely populated nether regions
of Canada in to pestilent, malarial swamps.

After all, that's how the Great Lakes were formed.

As for warming, you do remember that folks lived in Western Greenland in
1100AD, raised grain and cattle, and it was considerably warmer than now.

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Miguel Cruz writes:

The reason for this is pretty simple: People know that heating is more
necessary than cooling for comfortable and productive living, within the
range of temperatures that are normally experienced in inhabited areas.

Which inhabited areas? Most of the world's population these days
lives in warm or hot climates.

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Keith W writes:

That depends on where you are comparing it with.

When it comes to human physiology, comparisons and relative
temperatures are not terribly meaningful. It's the absolute
conditions that count, because the requirements of human physiology
are fixed, not relative to external conditions.

Thus, 35° C is hot, even if there are places where it is 50° C.
People in a temperature of 35° C will suffer equally no matter what
the temperatures are elsewhere on the planet. The level of danger is
the same as well.

I have worked in fabrication yards in all 3 cities and
havent much sympathy with your whining.

Your sympathy is irrelevant.

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

nobody writes:

Wrong. With totally stale air, your perspiration evaporates, providing
some cooling, but because the air is not moving, the relative humidity
levels directly near yor skin rises and this slows down sweat
evaporation and renders the process less effective.

The effect is small in a gravitational field, thanks to convection.

It is indeed a problem in zero gravity, and this has been recognized
for some time.

With a fan and ambiant temperature below 37°, you get cooling from the
cooler air passing by, as well as more efficient sweat evaporation sicne
you are constantly brought air that is not fully saturated with water
(aka: rtelative humidity 100%).

In high humidity or with low wind speeds, this is not sufficient to
keep you cool. As the temperature and humidity rise, the wind speed
necessary to completely carry off all body heat rises to impractical
levels. Worse yet, since most of the cooling is evaporative, you lose
water at a truly alarming rate in a hot wind, even though you may feel
less sweaty. The water has to be constantly replaced, and the mere
act of sweating is very tiring to the organism over time.

With ambiant temperature above 37°, the fan will not push cooler air,
but will stuff push air that will help perspiration evaporate and keep
you cool.

Not cool enough. You need cooling from evaporation sufficient to
compensate for the air temperature above core temperature, and then
even more in order to remove excess heat. That is very difficult to
achieve.

And note that when it is very humid, temperatures do not often rise
above body temperature.

They rise regularly far above body temperature, and even slight
humidity is intolerable at high temperatures.

The really hot temperatures generally happen in
dry climates where your perspiration works fine.

Not so. In Phoenix it can be 46° and humid; your perspiration does
not work fine.

When it is 45° in Bagdhad, there is still more people dying from
american military presence than from heat.

I'm sure the Israelis are working to beat this record.

When it is 37° in Paris, there are more people dying from the heat
than from any American military presence.

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Al Smith writes:

Air conditioning is a crutch. Maybe they need it in Phoenix.

Phoenix would still be a town of 100,000 today if it weren't for air
conditioning.

It might be argued that people shouldn't even be living in places
where air conditioning is essential.

The same can be said for living in places where huge amounts of energy
must be expended on heating during the winter.

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

TOliver writes:

As for the Mixed Maniac's 33C with 31% humidity, that's positively
salubrious, cool enough to play tennis or 18 holes in the afternoon, so dry
that the sweat disappears before you feel it dripping from your brow.

And you develop hyperthermia and pass out without any warning.