Boeing 747 turns 35 Years Old

Old February 19th, 2004, 09:16 PM
DALing

Default Boeing 747 turns 35 Years Old

not necessarily - volume varies linearly with length, as the square of the
radius

You can have "short and fat" (747-SP) and 747-200 (same upper deck) - no
doubt that the -200 has a larger volume (longer) but the same "diameter'

unless you meant the if you make it fatter, you need to make it longer (and
that isn't necessarily true, either)

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:19:43 +0800, Nik wrote:

"Ulf Kutzner" wrote in message
Nik schrieb:

"devil" wrote in message
news On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:07:21 +0800, Nik wrote:

"Ulf Kutzner" wrote in message
Nik schrieb:

To put it into perspective: The 380 is intended to improve the
seat/mile
cost compared to the 747 by about 20 percent. A significant

part
of
this
is
no doubt being achieved by making the 380 bigger than the

747 -
volume
grows by the power of two compared to the surface.

Sure?

Regards, ULF

Sure? - well I have no clue as to whether or not they will

succeed.
Therefore I deliberately wrote "intended" as this is what they

(at
least
at
some point) said on their web page (haven't looked recently at

this
issue).

I think his point was that volume does not usually go with the

square
of
the surface...

Oh I see he don't know the formulas for surface and volume of a

cylinder.

Your cylinders only have diameters, no length?

Just tell me more.

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=29

Regards, ULF

2PiRD versus PiR^2D (as far as I remember from many many years ago)

Point is that if you make your fish fatter, you make it longer too.

Old February 19th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Nik

Nik schrieb:

[...]

Well that's correct (I did say that math is a long way back). However, the
747-400 and the A380 are supposed to be of about the same length: about 71 m
compared to 75 m as far as I remember. So by far (so it seems to me) the
extra volume in the A380 is going to come from making it thicker rather then
just longer...

Nik.

Old February 19th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Nik

I took it that the 747 and the A380 were to be of about the same length 71
versus 75 meters...

Nik.

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:35 AM
devil

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:16:16 +0000, DALing wrote:

not necessarily - volume varies linearly with length, as the square of the
radius

You can have "short and fat" (747-SP) and 747-200 (same upper deck) - no
doubt that the -200 has a larger volume (longer) but the same "diameter'

unless you meant the if you make it fatter, you need to make it longer (and
that isn't necessarily true, either)

Not necessarily. But odds are, if you make itr fatter, you'll make it
longer also. Not necessarily in the same ratios either.

Still, surely a better assumption to make both vary in the same proportion
than keeping the length fixed and only change the diameter.

Nik schrieb:

"devil" wrote in message
news On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:07:21 +0800, Nik wrote:

"Ulf Kutzner" wrote in
message ...

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:36 AM
devil

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:49:25 +0800, Nik wrote:

I took it that the 747 and the A380 were to be of about the same length 71
versus 75 meters...

Making it just fatter without changing the length would probably make it
less efficient at least relatively?