North American Airports That Can Handle An A380?

Old May 4th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Alan S

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:00:15 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote:

"Dean S. Lautermilch?????" wrote:
Which North American airports could handle the A380? I've heard it is very
few.

SFO is going to be one, for sure, but I would have to say it
will be those that feed to int'l routes and carriers, and those cities
that have something to cater to those. With that in mind, here's where
I think the A380 will go.

SFO. They will more than likely be the first airport to see
them in the USA, let alone N. America. How they will handle the
arrivals on 28L/R will be interesting to see, as the wingspan may cover
both the runway it's using, and the parallel runway.

LAX. Once again, it is one of the top 3 feeders to the far east
and Oceania. This will see it.

YVR. This will be Canada's feed to the Far east. As a lot of
Asian carriers are buying the A380, this will help on their routes
to/from N. America and Asia.

JFK. As the west coast feeds Asia/Oceania, JFK will feed the
other big carriers purchasing this ride, the Middle East.

ORD. Don't really have a good reason on this one, except the
fact that those using it will want to compete with AAL and UAL on the
routes they use the 747s and 777s on.

Anyone else have a guess on where?

BL.

Tullamarine (MEL) has just finished upgrading the runway for
the A380, and is starting work on the terminal.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-1702,00.html

Qantas flies direct to LAX from MEL and SYD, and to JFK from
SYD, where similar upgrades will be occurring.

Several other airlines working the Pacific and Atlantic
routes are buying the A380 and will also be looking for
their US terminals to upgrade.

From http://www.speednews.com/lists/AirbusA380.html

Airbus A380 Customers as of January 2004

Operator

Air France......10
Emirates........43
Federal Express.10
ILFC............10
Korean Air.......5
Lufthansa.......15
Malaysian........6
Qantas..........12
Qatar Airways....2
Singapore.......10
Virgin Atlantic..6

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:49 PM
ant

Alan S wrote:
Tullamarine (MEL) has just finished upgrading the runway for
the A380, and is starting work on the terminal.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-1702,00.html

Qantas flies direct to LAX from MEL and SYD, and to JFK from
SYD, where similar upgrades will be occurring.

Several other airlines working the Pacific and Atlantic
routes are buying the A380 and will also be looking for
their US terminals to upgrade.

oh, crap.
I fly sydney to LA every year (and back). I don't want to fly in one of
those horrors! Seriously.

anyway, they are often empty. Why take a larger aeroplane to be even
emptier?

ant

Old May 4th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Frank F. Matthews

From http://www.speednews.com/lists/AirbusA380.html

Airbus A380 Customers as of January 2004

Operator

Air France......10
Emirates........43
Federal Express.10
ILFC............10
Korean Air.......5
Lufthansa.......15
Malaysian........6
Qantas..........12
Qatar Airways....2
Singapore.......10
Virgin Atlantic..6

Cheers, Alan, Australia

I hope that they expect the immense landing fee increases that will be
needed to pay for the expansion.

Old May 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 5 May 2005 01:49:12 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

Alan S wrote:
Tullamarine (MEL) has just finished upgrading the runway for
the A380, and is starting work on the terminal.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-1702,00.html

Qantas flies direct to LAX from MEL and SYD, and to JFK from
SYD, where similar upgrades will be occurring.

Several other airlines working the Pacific and Atlantic
routes are buying the A380 and will also be looking for
their US terminals to upgrade.

oh, crap.
I fly sydney to LA every year (and back). I don't want to fly in one of
those horrors! Seriously.

anyway, they are often empty. Why take a larger aeroplane to be even
emptier?

I assume the frequency of flights would be reduced.