The problem with airlines!!

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default The problem with airlines!!

On Apr 3, 6:27*pm, Brian wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:31:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I believe this is my thread, why don't you go away!!!!

It doesn't work that way.

Ya kind of said that in the heat of the moment and as you can tell
been getting some grief for it. Oh well life goes on.
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

Default The problem with airlines!! They keep going out of business!! Who

On Apr 3, 3:51*pm, wrote:
The problem is they keep going out of business due to high gas prices
that they can not pass along to us. Both ATA and Aloha went bye bye
this week and who knows who will be next. Even with the problems I had
with closure of Aloha I am glad I did not buy my tickets to Hawaii
with Southwest, as guess some of their flights to the islands are
operated by ATA. I would have thought ATA would made some money on its
military charters, as god knows our lovely government never gets a
good deal on anything. I did see one military charter of theirs where
the plane was only 1/3rd full, so I guess they must have charging by
the passenger.

I am just glad I am not a passenger on ATA or Southwest with
connections on ATA. I know southwest won't book you on another
airline, so if they don't fly to your destination you can only request
a refund.

HSB

Hot

Your minor problem with Aloha is not as big as you thought, huh? I
have heard of people being booked on Aloha and then after their
shutdown switching to ATA. They are the people that really have the
problems. Also just think of the people that worked for either Aloha
or ATA. They no longer have jobs and you do.

Michael
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

Default The problem with airlines!! They keep going out of business!! Who will be next!! (was The problem with airlines!!)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:28:20 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 3, 3:51=A0pm, wrote:
[...]

Continental has said that it will accept ATA passengers on a standby
basis.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

wrote:

The problem is they keep going out of business due to high gas prices
that they can not pass along to us.

They don't use gas.
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

On Apr 3, 8:44*pm, SMS wrote:
wrote:
I am just glad I am not a passenger on ATA or Southwest with
connections on ATA. I know southwest won't book you on another
airline, so if they don't fly to your destination you can only request
a refund.

Hawaii is a tough market because it's almost exclusively a vacation
market, so there aren't a lot of high-fare tickets (last-minute,
business class, first class, etc.).

This is good news for the other carriers to Hawaii, as they'll be able
to raise prices on coach fares now that two low-fare airlines are gone.

Too bad Southwest isn't interested in flying to Hawaii, but they don't
want to have different aircraft types, and to fly over water for that
long they'd need to aircraft with life rafts, and probably other
modifications as well.

I had a friend that thought Alaska might be a fit, as for taking over
Aloha or least some of its mainland to island routes.

Michael

Old April 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

wrote in message
On Apr 3, 8:44 pm, SMS wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Aloha was never a "Low Fare Airline." It was a legacy-type carrier, with a
high level of service. The reason some people are saying Alaska is a
possible fit for some of their routes is that AS has a strong presence in
California, including secondary cities (i.e, San Jose, Orange County,
Burbank, etc.) and also flies similar airplanes, including
737-700's, -800's, and -900's, some of which are ETOPS capable and
classified. AS has also always maintained a high reputation for service.
But these days, with the cost of fuel so high, I'm not sure anybody can make
money in the airline business.

ATA's Hawaii business had a solid foundation with Pleasant Hawaiian
Holidays, a tour operator which took as much as 85% of their seats. So
ATA's loads were very high on very efficient airplanes, including 737-800's,
757-200's, and 757-300's. But with ATA's previous bankruptcy, they lost the
synergies of a Midway hub, and, also, I think it has pretty much been proven
that you can't shrink your way into profitability (witness Pan Am and TWA).
And their parent company, Global Airline Logistics, is a charter operator,
with World Airways and North American. They haven't had any interest in
scheduled service, and North American has discontinued their limited
scheduled service to Africa and Guyana. World Airways hasn't flown anything
scheduled since the mid 1980's. And World flies newish MD11's with North
American flying 767-300's, both of which are a heck of a lot more efficient
than ATA's old L1011's (mostly from Delta years ago) and DC10's (recent
acquisitions from Northwest). So it was probably a business judgment that
came up sometime before yesterday.