Motorcycling through Latin-America

Old November 28th, 2006, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected][_1_]

Default Motorcycling through Latin-America

I know this trip has been done many times before, so that's why I am
asking for your comments, suggestions, kind words of encouragement,
etc. It is possible...

This summer (2007), I plan to embark on a 5 month trip to South America
through Central America by motorcycle (dual-sport). I want to be safe
and have as much fun as possible; thus I am giving myself as much time
to plan as I will be traveling.

A lot of people, friends and family included, do not think this trip is
all that feasible. They say: 'it's too dangerous', 'you won't make it
past so-and-so', 'you're going to back out at the last minute'.
Everywhere I turn someone is shooting my dream down the drain. In
fact, I think a good way to subsidize my trip would be to start a pool
and take bets to see how far I'll go. So, please let me know if you're
interested in placing a bet. However, if you'd like to route for the
underdog kindly reply to this message with some useful information.

Finally, if you made this trip already I'd love to hear from you! And
for those of you that haven't, but have always wanted to; live
vicariously through me and I promise to send you a postcard when I'm
out on the road. Cheers!

Old November 28th, 2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There is the movie about Che Guevara's motorbike trip.

Old November 28th, 2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Dream on

Old November 28th, 2006, 09:06 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Howard

wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this trip has been done many times before, so that's why I am
asking for your comments, suggestions, kind words of encouragement,
etc. It is possible...

Victor, Yes, your trip is very do-able....in fact, at least until you get to
Panama, is isn't really even that "adventurous".Getting the bike to Colombia
from Panama will prove to be one of the biggest hassles. Even that though is
not that hard. Boat is the best option but try to arrange be on the same
boat as the bike, lest the bike arrive missing various parts, should it
travel without you to watch it. Beyond that point the trip gets a bit more
dangerous, mostly because of the quality of the roads, which while easily
ridable, are frequently narrow and mountainous. The trip is really not that
much more dangereous than a bike trip of several thousand miles would be
anywhere else. I've ridden to Guatemala (from California) four times with no
problems whatever. A good friend attempting the loop of the world, made it
all the way around and would have finished in Brazil, but was head-oned just
outside of Ushuaia, and had to be flown back to the UK. He survived.

As for the naysayers.....screw them. They have no idea what they're talking
about. BUt.....don't wait for your best riding buddy, or anyone else to go
with you. Make your plans to do it, then DO IT! If you wait for others to
get their stuff together, it'll never happen and you'll have them to blame.
Plan on yourself alone, and go. By the time you get half way through Mexico,
no doubt you will have already found someone else who had the courage to
make the trip, and the good sense not to wait for anyone else to get thier
stuff together to go. Just do it! You'll be glad you did. Send back pix!
Have a great ride, Howard

Old November 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
DanTop

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

At any one time there are 20-50 motorcyclists during the same trip. All the
info you could possibly want about the ride including how to ship the bike
from Panama can be found at http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ . A month ago
I was at a rally put on by HU in the Copper Canyon of Mexico where there
were more than 20 riders, including women riding solo, who were either going
around the world or to Tierra del Fuego. A friend of mine and his wife did
the ride down and back last year 2-up on a bike. It's not a particularly
dangerous ride. Dan

Old November 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
PirateJohn

On Nov 28, 7:01*am, "DanTop" wrote:
At any one time there are 20-50 motorcyclists during the same trip. All
the
info you could possibly want about the ride including how to ship the bike
from Panama can be found athttp://www.horizonsunlimited.com/. A month ago
I was at a rally put on by HU in the Copper Canyon of Mexico where there
were more than 20 riders, including women riding solo, who were either going
around the world or to Tierra del Fuego. A friend of mine and his wife did
the ride down and back last year 2-up on a bike. It's not a particularly
dangerous ride. Dan- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Agreed. Go to www.ADVRider.com and there are plenty of archived tales
of riding in South and Central America.

I accompanied a friend into Mexico in January. I stayed on the Gulf
Coast of Mexico while he crossed over to Mazatlan and then headed
south. He rode quickly down to the very tip of South America.

It can be done and a fair number of folks do it, but you need to plan
your trip a bit and it sounds to me like you have some more planning to
do.

Good luck!

--PirateJohn--
www.PirateJohn.com