Gun T-shirt 'was a security risk'

Old June 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

Default Gun T-shirt 'was a security risk'

On Jun 3, 4:13*pm, yedyegiss ddg++ss0net3een0lln0ll@!
gmmaaaiilll..com wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
The Boss wrote:

"Redman" wrote in message

I wonder if they'll let me onto my flight with my Blair Lied and
People Died T-Shirt in Sept? ****ing Fascists

I wouldn't let you onto the plane either...that is, until you got it
changed to *Bliar* lied...

Huh? *(I thought your former PM's name WAS "Blair"!) *

*sigh* *It's a running joke in the UK to reverse the "a" and "i" in
Blair's name to get "Bliar." *

Yes, but this is a vastly wider audience than just the UK.
There's a bit of cultural difference in your joke. In the US it
would be much more common for the joke to capitalize the
A and I for the intended sense of emphasis. (i.e. Tony BlIAr).
There is a cartoon over here which has a running joke about
being an "individual" where it is spelled "inDUHvidual".

You really need this explained?

Typically cultural differences do. FWIW it's the first time
I've heard/seen the joke. Last I knew he was still Phoney Blair.

Old June 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Dr Quite Evil

FACE wrote in
:

From yedyegiss , in
uk.politics.misc on Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:13:01 -0700 :

The Boss wrote:

"Redman" wrote in message

I wonder if they'll let me onto my flight with my Blair Lied and
People Died T-Shirt in Sept? ****ing Fascists

I wouldn't let you onto the plane either...that is, until you got it
changed to *Bliar* lied...

Huh? (I thought your former PM's name WAS "Blair"!)

*sigh* It's a running joke in the UK to reverse the "a" and "i" in
Blair's name to get "Bliar." You really need this explained?

Actually it quit running several years ago and now sits in stillness

and
covered with moss..........

It's been replaced by Brown - a joke that never ran.
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
yedyegiss

gmmaaaiilll..com wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Huh? (I thought your former PM's name WAS "Blair"!)

*sigh* It's a running joke in the UK to reverse the "a" and "i" in
Blair's name to get "Bliar."

Yes, but this is a vastly wider audience than just the UK.

I'd expect to explain it to someone who doesn't speak English at all,
but most of the English-speakers reading rte seem to be reasonably well-
read.

would be much more common for the joke to capitalize the
A and I for the intended sense of emphasis. (i.e. Tony BlIAr).
There is a cartoon over here which has a running joke about
being an "individual" where it is spelled "inDUHvidual".

I must be a bad Merkin. I don't need to be clubbed over the head that
much to get the joke, any more than I do when referring to "cow-orkers."

You really need this explained?

Typically cultural differences do. FWIW it's the first time
I've heard/seen the joke. Last I knew he was still Phoney Blair.

I live in the USA. I travel. I read this newsgroup. So does EVG
(well, her travelling days might be behind her now, as the transition
to a dollar-based fixed income doesn't bode well for travelling to
euro-economy countries these days). I've seen numerous references to
"Bliar" over the last few years. It isn't *that* big of a cultural
difference, especially to well-read native-English speakers.
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Ophelia[_2_]

yedyegiss wrote:
I live in the USA. I travel. I read this newsgroup. So does EVG
(well, her travelling days might be behind her now, as the transition
to a dollar-based fixed income doesn't bode well for travelling to
euro-economy countries these days). I've seen numerous references to
"Bliar" over the last few years. It isn't *that* big of a cultural
difference, especially to well-read native-English speakers.

Many of us write it as B'liar

Old June 4th, 2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

I have a t-shirt that raads "I AM NOT A TERRORIST".

Will wearing that get me through security more quickly? It is a lot
cheaper than a CLEAR card.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Spiney Norman

On 4 Jun, 16:36, " wrote:
I have a t-shirt that raads "I AM NOT A TERRORIST".

Will wearing that get me through security more quickly? It is a lot
cheaper than a CLEAR card.

perhaps an orange jumpsuit.....
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
The Boss

"me" wrote in message
Typically cultural differences do. FWIW it's the first time
I've heard/seen the joke. Last I knew he was still Phoney Blair.

Phoney Bliar.

--
The Boss

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
The Boss

"Dr Quite Evil" wrote in message
It's been replaced by Brown - a joke that never ran.

Boredom Clown.

--
The Boss

Old June 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
The Boss

"Larry in AZ" wrote in message
.. .
Waiving the right to remain silent, "The Boss"
said:

"Dr Quite Evil" wrote in message
It's been replaced by Brown - a joke that never ran.

Boredom Clown.

What *exactly* is the UK looking for in leadership..?

The opposite.

--
The Boss

Old June 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Jimmy Olsen Cub Reporter

Default Runge's Gay T-shirt 'was a security risk'

Runge11 blabbled:

Yes she does and that is her problem, apart from constantly drivelling about
the US on this group.

Or maybe it was scRunge's *face* that was a security risk...!!!

--
Best
Greg

message ...

The Boss wrote:

"Redman" wrote in message

I wonder if they'll let me onto my flight with my Blair Lied and People
Died T-Shirt in Sept? ****ing Fascists

I wouldn't let you onto the plane either...that is, until you got it
changed to *Bliar* lied...

Huh? *(I thought your former PM's name WAS "Blair"!)

*sigh* *It's a running joke in the UK to reverse the "a" and "i" in
Blair's name to get "Bliar." *You really need this explained?- Hide quoted text -