Oasis of the Seas review LONG

Old December 1st, 2009, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Default Oasis of the Seas review LONG

Oasis of the Seas Review

By Susette

On November 26 my Significant Other Bob and I flew to Ft Lauderdale,
to go on the Oasis of the Seas on 27November to 29November.
We took the airport transfer for the quick 8 minute or so ride to the
airport that was flawless. When arriving at the Pier there she was Big
and Beautiful- Some crazy TA’s on our bus saying oh she not big at
all.. They need glasses! She was a beauty ,look at all those balcony
staterooms! Getting onto the ship was easy enough. Suites have their
own check in - no more diamond check in like the old days, however
there was so many stations to check in and it will be very easy- they
take your picture right there at check in and hand you your cards. Our
guy was having some issues with his computer but this was the
exception not the Norm others zoomed through. We got our picture
taken and then onto the ship. This is where I felt the hugeness going
up this pretty steep-at -the-end ramp, then from the moment you are
greeted Welcome Aboard, you know there is a WOW factor coming and it
is! WOW WOW WOW…. You enter into the Royal Promenade and Guest
services, Cupcake place, Fountains, Sorrentos and the beauty of the
Promenade feeling double in width to the Voyager class hits you. Your
eyes can not believe what your taking in. Rooms were not ready so up
to Windjammer is always the Norm. Very nicely appointed in a classier
style, It was the typical Windjammer Buffet. This cruise had many Free
things normal ones do not due to it being a TA sailing. Wine and beer
was being served and the wait staff in Windjammer were wonderful. Next
to Windjammer is Izumi Sushi bar and hot rocks cooking Asian food,
very nice a pay per piece ala Carte-not yet opened.
We ate Lunch Great Fish and Chips, and a variety of other things and
a lot of Vegetarian and Indian food too. This is pretty much the
Windjammer food of all their ships. After lunch we went to drop off
the suitcase in the Room we had a Oceanview Veranda Deck 7 near a
elevator THANK GOODNESS. It was beautifully appointed but those
pillows were rough for me cause they had a heavy Plastic pillowcase
Which I think needed to just be broken in! had a large sofa and a 32
inch tv and bathroom was typical with a few different things. Sink was
small and shallow oval, not so sure about it but it worked for this
smooth sailing cruise. Shower, Hmm when your short and like that
adjustable shower head and now its gone that was disappointing. But
they did put a rod about 6 inches about 5 inches or so from the floor
so you can shave your legs or wash your feet easier so that was good.
( at least we think that is what it was for! LOL)
Some things like the sink and the countertop and the night stands are
miniaturized. But functional.

We went to some other Staterooms so will tell a bout them now- 1st my
opinion is that RCCL knows how to do suites they shoot Carnival out of
the water and they do not hold a candle to them. Again my Opinion. The
one that was a OMG was the Royal Loft rooms a multi floor room with
living room and bedroom downstairs and bathroom and then a upstairs
loft with a Screen for projection TV which was Very Big and it faces
the water with floor to ceiling windows- and a bathroom that was
unreal with a Jacuzzi tub for 2 maybe even 3! Downstairs Deck was a
wrap around with a \wet bar and hot tub and dining table and other
table and chairs and chaise lounges you could put 40 people on this
deck! At $24k OFF SEASON for 4 not sure I would want to part with the
Bucks though , But It was incredible.
Another wow room was the aqua suites WOW… Huge balcony you can put a
lot of people out there and
These rooms sleep 12 very lovely. We saw the Family Rooms with Bunk
Beds and a living area and a Queen Bed and these were nice But why
did they not make the Bathroom a bit larger? Or have a tub in them?
When you are taking a family and have little ones you seem to want to
give them a bath. But again my opinion here. Inside rooms were very
nice and nice size for the MNL categories Q was about 20 SF smaller
Boardwalk and Central Park rooms- these were nice And nice sized
balcony, But in selling them they need to be sold to the correct
folks. If they do not like noise and want privacy these DEFINITLY are
not for them. In talking to other TA’s that had them, not a one
thought they were great . You will hear the Bells of the carousel and
the people congregating , and the shows at aqua theatre go til about
midnight.I spoke with a woman who had a Central Park room which I
thought would be nice, she said she heard noise until 5 am and then
it started again at 7AM she said you could not really sit on the
Balcony with coffee in your nightie in the morning as the people
walking by or across from you can see you and she felt she needed to
keep drapes closed. We heard this from several folks. I myself do not
care who sees me so it would not bother me BUT would Not want that
clanging of the bells and noise that came with Boardwalk, it would
have me pulling my hair out,thinking I was sleeping on the Boardwalk
in Wildwood, NJ! So for those who like it and don’t mind its perfect
but give me the ocean view balcony first.
If you have any questions on the different cabins let me know. I DO
feel you should try and get a cabin near a elevator or midship tween 2
elevators because it is easier getting to places.

Shows- Tremendous- RCCL knows entertainment. You need to preregister
because this is put on your seapass-I know people thinks it is a pain
but if you want to see the shows register. Of course we had 2 days to
see almost a weeks worth of shows! So it be better on a 7 night.
Ice show-FROZEN IN TIME- was a play on Hans Christian Andderson and
was wonderful esp the girl who does the sand art SHE wowed us all! The
skaters were terrific.
(We noticed behind the walls walking out this is where they storE the
life jackets)

Comedy Show- Just great! …. Some bad sight lines. But there was 3
Comedians the black guy had us laughing so hard we were fallling out
of our seats. He has toured for awhile with Johnny Mathis- we also saw
him in the Schooner ball schmoozing with people and he sang a few
songs was great

Headliner Entertainment- Just great remember the show RCCl had a lot
called RAIN tribute to the Beatles? This one had ABBA cadabra-
fabulous tribute show of ABBA this is not a permenant show But wow it
was terrific with lots of singing of songs we know.

Hairspray- Wonderful full show with delightful cast. The one Mama
could surely sing.
Very entertaining
AQUA THEATRE- They are still tweaking this one and it was a stop and
start show at this time WHICH will not be when it opens 1Dec HEY that
is today! THEY had glitches with the 9:30 show which made the 11 pm
show backed up this is where problems came- getting the people OUT of
the show and then getting the 11 pm people into the show was a bit of
a pandemonium there was no way they could scan the Seapass cards they
could not really hold the Crowds back, so they just let you go in
without scanning. It all worked out however ther were people who could
not get a seat so they need to figure that area out ESP when it’s a
full ship. Again, they will repeat this show a few times so crowd
control should be better. This show was phenomenol- if you ever heard
of or seen Cirque de soliel “O” this is what it reminded me off, a
watery stage that changed from water to stage in a flash and they have
scuba divers under the water giving the cast Air. YOU JUST NEED TO SEE
THIS ONE divers and actions continuous…. After the show which got a
standing ovation- they did a fountain fantasy show actually 2 cause
they played a Christmas show for us too this is dancing fountains with
music and it is a beautiful sight.

Dining- central park has many of the more upscale restaurants so bring
a lot of Moolah with you!
Our first meal in Dining room was very good, I HAD FILET OF BEEF WHICH
WAS DONE TO PERFECTION. The escargot was good as always RCCL has great
Escargot, our service though was not good. But I will give benefit of
the doubt to learning, our waiter was constantly being Corrected which
I think frazzled him a lot but we waited 15 min at a table for only 2
to get our order taken. And then it was more waiting. He was nice
just not tuned at all. He did more scraping of plates and busy work
which was kinda odd. We had to skip dessert cause we did not want to
be late for a show.
The next night I thought the dinner was not good BUT our waiter and
assistant was WONDERFUL. There was just njot great choices for my
palate I do not eat Lamb or Duck,and Cod fish was the fish and
tortellini was the other thing- had that if they had a different
sauce it would have been beter who would but Blue cheese sauce on
Tortellini? It was not good- portions small too Bob ordered a chicken
breast on the alternative selection it was ok. Clam Chowder was great.
And the family style Spinach and fresh Mozzerella salad was very
good. I can not even remember dessert guess it was ok…

One dining issue we had is we wanted Lunch at the Seafood shack and
we got in line a long line, and when we got towards the front the
employee told us it was a 2 hour at least wait and they were out of
beepers. Could this be cause it was free? THIS place was always
crowded, we did not wait though that was way to long. Had a nice menu
though.
Did I tell you about the wonderful Cupcakes? $2.50 well worth it, I
had a Turtle Cupcake and it was so yummy! There is like 12 different
kind, like Root Beer, Bubblegum, Red Velvet, Carrot,Strawberry
shortcake etc.

Sorrentos Build your own Pizza was delish! They only have Pizza now,
not like the Freedom class where they had a bakery and lite bites-
Promenade Café has those things. There is the Globe and Atlas Pub,
lots of fountains on the Promenade, and you can pick up Rising tide
bar here which we did several times to go up to Central PARK. This
was a neat bar, it only had coke and Champagne but I think they were
working the kinks out of this too.
Childrens area- Just wonderful what kid would want to come back to
their room! They had a Science lab even on there! This area was still
“Moving IN” lots of boxes to be unpacked. They had a room with all
those battery operated Barbie and Jeep type kid cars like 6 of them
you can ride around in….so COOL…
They also had a adult Craft room for scrap booking and jewelry making
Free of charge they did have some fanicer things you could spend a few
bucks for though, finally a room to do this popular event and not in a
Theatre.
Pool area was very nice lots of pools and Hottubs- but the spectacular
part in my opinion is the Solarium This is their best so far ,
tranquil with constant sound of water flowing . And a good for you
Bistro too. Free by day pay by night.
Boleros is also now on the Promenade, The shops seemed limited ,oh
for the Ladies there is a Coach store in Central Park!
Debarkation was easy-
But it is the old way of a warehouse with LED NUMBERS AND you search
for your bags . We were all carry on so can not comment on that.

In a nutshell to sum up. The Oasis of the Seas- a Definite WOW of a
ship. IS Bigger better? Not necessarily so. This ship really in my
opinion is not for a Older clientele. A lot of Razzamatazz and
choices, and A lot of things that you may want to experience will be
at a cost. SURE a “regular Cruise” has a buffet and dining room so
you can go there, True but lets hope the food will be good, The food
to me was disappointing in the Dining room.
And you Wiggle something in front of someone and of Course they want
it! This is one of those ships,.Like taking the kids to the Boardwalk…
Bring a pocket full of cash with you….
This ship is a beautiful piece of art and will make cruising again
different.. As did the Voyager class…. RCCL has a way with ship
building like no other… Its beautiful and Fun but I think I need to
step back and wait and see how It all works out with a FULL ship and
the bugs worked out. The Pricing needs to be a bit lowered so that
many more people can experience it and see for theirselves.
2 of these ships are again in my opinion quite enough. I did enjoy
this ship.. But its not something I would want not to do every year.
It’s a Anomaly something different and exciting…. But it is not for
everyone. Any questions just ask

Susie
Cruise Outlets and Travel
800 853 9515
www.cruiseoutlets.com
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Susette" wrote in message
On Dec 1, 5:06 pm, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
"Susette" wrote in message

Oasis of the Seas Review

By Susette

On November 26 my Significant Other Bob and I flew to Ft Lauderdale,
to go on the Oasis of the Seas on 27November to 29November.

Great review, Suzie, but since you don't recommend it for older clientele,
maybe I should reconsider going on it next October...NOT! ;-)
Sounds like a lot of nickel and diming onboard but I guess they have to
pay
for this humongous vessel some how.

Like you, I wish they had the adjustable shower...don't like getting my
hair
wet...Hard to hold on a hand held shower and bathe yourself at the same
time. ;-)

Wonder how many people will actually book those huge suites with the
exorbitant pricing. They do sound beautiful.
Sounds as if that Aqua Theater Show is a must.
Thanks for your review! See you Saturday in FLL.

--Jean

actually your young in mind.... that makes a difference i have a bad
left foot that now i am relaxing as it did a number on it with the
miles i walked...

bring a shower cap for the shower remember those????? lol

AND THE BIG SUITES WE WERE TOLD ARE SOLD OUT FOR 2 YEARS SO SOMEONE IS
BUYING THEM.not me

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Yes, I thought about the shower caps...I think they even supply them in the
bathrooms on the ship.
Take care of that foot....you have to be able to keep up with Erm and me!!!
;-)
Hope the weather is better there than here...rain all day and temps in the
low 50's all day...brrrrr! Saturday morning is supposed to be in the
30's...hope they are wrong.

--Jean

Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee McCauley[_2_]

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Susette" wrote in message
[...]

Sue doesn't recommend the Oasis for oldsters? What to do, what to do?

Ermalee ---West Coast Mary, should we cancel????
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Dec 2, 12:08�am, Ermalee McCauley wrote:
Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Susette" wrote in message
[...]

Ermalee ---West Coast Mary, should we cancel????- Hide quoted text -

you are young at heart. there are a\many seniors that act their age
LOL. But for a older person this ship could be a challenge. if you use
their interactive maps and have a room nearer to a elevator you should
be fine. but it is a bit more challenging. Just the truth here, some
may sugar coat it but it tis what it tis...heck next time i may need a
scooter!!
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mary Foster

Ermalee McCauley wrote:

Sue doesn't recommend the Oasis for oldsters? What to do, what to do?

Ermalee ---West Coast Mary, should we cancel????

Heck NO, Ermy. I've got the little blue scooter, and you have energy
enough for the two of us. We're good to go, Gal!
Mary (WA)
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Great review, Susette! Thanks for all of the details.

Have a great Vikings cruise!

Diana

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Susette wrote:
Oasis of the Seas Review

Sue,finally, finally I got the time and energy to read your review,
great job!! There is so much I like about the Oasis, other things I
don't like, but the one thing I know is that it is going to be a
different kind of cruise.

What cabin were you in? We are going to be in 7706 and as I remember it
is pretty close to the elevators and mid-ship. When we booked a long
time ago, I told Kevin that I must have an oceanview balcony. I go on
cruises to see the ocean, not a city or mall.lol

From the pictures I have seen, I have to agree that the Solarium is the
place to be. I am using a picture of the hot tub that is at the edge of
the ship for my computer wallpaper.

Thanks again for a great review.

sue
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Ermalee McCauley wrote:
Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Susette" wrote in message
[...]

Ermalee, you and Mary may not cancel, Kevin and I are looking forward to
seeing both of you on the Oasis!!

hugs,
sue
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Dec 17, 6:55�pm, Sue Mullen wrote:
Susette wrote:
Oasis of the Seas Review

Sue,finally, finally I got the time and energy to read your review,
great job!! There is so much I like about the Oasis, other things I
don't like, but the one thing I know is that it is going to be a
different kind of cruise.

What cabin were you in? We are going to be in 7706 and as I remember it
is pretty close to the elevators and mid-ship. When we booked a long
time ago, I told Kevin that I must have an oceanview balcony. I go on
cruises to see the ocean, not a city or mall.lol

�From the pictures I have seen, I have to agree that the Solarium is the
place to be. I am using a picture of the hot tub that is at the edge of
the ship for my computer wallpaper.

Thanks again for a great review.

sue

Your welcome!
YES this is a ship that you will love or not care for due to its
size.
I do not think the world needs more then 2 of these monstrosities.
I was in a Ocean View balcony Deck 7 I think 7660 I would need to
look it up- But it was near a Elevator. FOr some older folks I do not
think it be the ship for them- BUT there are some that are so dang
young at heart it be perfect! You can get lost getting to your room if
you do not use the right bank of elevators for your side of the
hallway as some of these will not allow you to crossover. after a
couple days you get the layout of the ship and will migrate to the
sections you want to be in. Solarium was incredible.
if you have trouble walking get a scooter!!!! I may need that next
time!

I have Pictures Just need to get the time to go through them cause
there is like 600 of them

Susie
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Susette wrote:
[...]

I think I will like the Oasis, but consider it more of a land vacation
then a cruise vacation. Your cabin # sounds familiar, we have the same
cat. on deck 7, also near an elevator. On larger ships we always try to
go mid-ship and on this ship I wanted an oceanview balcony so if I
didn't like the ship, I had a balcony to enjoy, also so I had some place
where I could see the ocean.lol

Can't wait to see your pictures, esp of the cabin.

sue