Overnight transit at Singapore airport

Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:48 AM
dev

Default Overnight transit at Singapore airport

Two questions for any kind soul who knows the answers:

I get into Changi at about 9.30pm (on Qantas), then fly out (on Singapore
Airlines) at 8.50 the next morning.

Can I stay at the transit hotel (inside the transit area) without entering
Singapore and still check in to my second flight?

If I do this, can I also check my baggage right through from Melbourne to
Bangkok on Qantas and then Singapore Airlines without having to collect it
at Singapore (which would presumably involve clearing immigration and
customs which I would rather avoid)?

Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
AJC

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:48:50 +1000, "dev" wrote:

Two questions for any kind soul who knows the answers:

I get into Changi at about 9.30pm (on Qantas), then fly out (on Singapore
Airlines) at 8.50 the next morning.

Can I stay at the transit hotel (inside the transit area) without entering
Singapore and still check in to my second flight?

Yes.

If I do this, can I also check my baggage right through from Melbourne to
Bangkok on Qantas and then Singapore Airlines without having to collect it
at Singapore (which would presumably involve clearing immigration and
customs which I would rather avoid)?

Almost certainly yes, though you need to check with the two airlines
concerned to be certain.
--==++AJC++==--

Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:31 AM
mag3

Quoting "dev" regarding Overnight transit at Singapore
airport in a message dated Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:48:50 +1000:

Two questions for any kind soul who knows the answers:

I get into Changi at about 9.30pm (on Qantas), then fly out (on Singapore
Airlines) at 8.50 the next morning.

Can I stay at the transit hotel (inside the transit area) without entering
Singapore and still check in to my second flight?

That's precisely what I'll be doing in a month or so. I already have
reservations for the Ambassador Transit Hotel.

If I do this, can I also check my baggage right through from Melbourne to
Bangkok on Qantas and then Singapore Airlines without having to collect it
at Singapore (which would presumably involve clearing immigration and
customs which I would rather avoid)?

You have to ensure that your baggage is checked straight through to your final
destination. Then, as others have said, don't attempt to clear Immigration
and/or Customs. Just stay "ariside" and use the hotel. For me, it will be
interesting because it's a 3-way transit EWR(CO)--NRT(NW)--SIN(SQ)--KL.
CO already knows about all the flights and has agreed to set up the "through"
checking.

We'll see what happens!

__________________________________

Regards,
Arnold.

(E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.)
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:24 PM
AJC

On 22 Jul 2004 19:49:38 -0700, (Reef
Fish) wrote:

"dev" wrote in message ...
Two questions for any kind soul who knows the answers:

I get into Changi at about 9.30pm (on Qantas), then fly out (on Singapore
Airlines) at 8.50 the next morning.

Can I stay at the transit hotel (inside the transit area) without entering
Singapore and still check in to my second flight?

You not only CAN, but the transit hotel WARNS you that you SHOULD do
so without entering Singapore! Reason: you couldn't get back in had
you
entered Singapore until the time for the next flight.

I had thought that was just a matter of ensuring that the passenger
gets
to the transit hotel within the 45 minutes of arrival allowed by the
hotel.

I learned it that hard way when my wife and I were in transit from
Bali,
arriving Singapore at 10 pm and fly out on Northwest Airlines the next
morning at 6:30 am or so. I let my wife check in the transit hotel
while
I went to the Conrad at Changi to pick up the luggage we had left
there
because of the stringent baggage allowance in the Bali (PDS) flights.

Which airline was that? I thought both SQ and GA had the standard
20kgs (more for premium pax) allowance on the SIN-DPS route.

When I got back to the airport shortly before midnight, I learned that
could NOT get back to the transit hotel without first checking my
luggage,
and the airline counter would not open until 3:30 am the next morning.

Did this surprise you? I would imagine that in the vast majority of
international airports you would not be able to pass through
immigration in to the departures area with to be checked baggage in
tow.