Transit Visas and Re-entering With Single Trip Visas

Old February 6th, 2005, 12:09 AM
PJAMaier

Default Transit Visas and Re-entering With Single Trip Visas

My wife and I are planning a trip to Kenya and I'm wondering about
visas. From Kenya we will be visiting both Tanzania and Uganda. For
our side trips out of Kenya, can we get bby with tranist visas, which
are cheaper, if we are out less than 2 weeks?

Also, if we have a single trip (or is it single visit) visas for Kenya,
do we need to get one if we leave Kenya for Tanzania or Uganda and come
back in to Kenya?

We are not going as part of a group or via a tour company so we have to
handle most of the arrangements ourselves.

Thanks for education those of us that are new to world travelling.

PJAMaier

Old February 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Marc Lurie

Ask your Kenyan embassy about a multiple entry visa for Kenya. You will need
a new single entry visa each time you re-enter Kenya.

Usually a transit visa is issued for a period of around three days in order
to allow you to travel through a country. I doubt if the Ugandans or
Tanzanians will issue you with transit visas valid for two weeks,
particularly as you're not travelling through their country to another
country.

As far as I am aware, there is no transit visa available for Tanzania, just
the usual single or multiple entry visa. The Tanzanians are very sticky
about visas, so I'd recommend that you don't take any chances, and get the
correct visa before you leave for Tanzania.

Marc
If you're flying to Uganda, visas can be bought at Entebbe Airport, or
bought at most major border posts.
oups.com...

Old February 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM
riverman

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
Ask your Kenyan embassy about a multiple entry visa for Kenya. You will
need a new single entry visa each time you re-enter Kenya.

Usually a transit visa is issued for a period of around three days in
order to allow you to travel through a country. I doubt if the Ugandans or
Tanzanians will issue you with transit visas valid for two weeks,
particularly as you're not travelling through their country to another
country.

As far as I am aware, there is no transit visa available for Tanzania,
just the usual single or multiple entry visa. The Tanzanians are very
sticky about visas, so I'd recommend that you don't take any chances, and
get the correct visa before you leave for Tanzania.

Marc

Just got back from Nairobi, where I entered on a single-entry visa. I took a
flight from NBO to Zanzibar, then back to NBO where I spent the night. And I
did not need a transit visa or another visa to reenter Kenya.

My single-entry visa for Kenya allowed me to enter any of the neighboring
East Africa countries and return without getting a new visa. I asked several
border agents about this, and they all agreed, and its what happened. I had
to buy an entry stamp for Zanzibar (but not for Tanzania). I will not swear
that this is true for Uganda, but I am 100% certain that you can enter Kenya
on a single-entry visa, sgo to Tanzania for as long as your visa permits,
and then return to Kenya without getting another visa.

--riverman

Old February 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Dave Patterson

I just spoke with the Visa Officer at the Kenya Embassy
in the US last week about visas for clients who are
passing briefly through Nairobi en route to Rwanda
and then returning for 10 nights in Kenya.
They may use a transit visa for that first overnight in
Nairobi before continuing the next day to Kigali.
They would then get a single-entry visa when they return
to Nairobi for their safari there. Total - $80 p.p.
Or, to just have everything in hand when they leave
the US, they may get a multiple-entry visa from the
Embassy. Total - $100 p.p.

A transit visa will be of no use to you. These are
valid for 3 days.
A single-entry visa for Kenya does allow you
to go into Tanzania and back into Kenya.
But you need a visa for Tanzania, too, of course.

Go into both Tanzania and Uganda with a single entry
visa to Kenya? I think it's possible. But what I think,
isn't good enough information. Better check with
the Embassy.

Old February 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Dave Patterson

One more thing.
If you are handling all you arrangements yourself,
you might ask some serious questions about
transportation to the members of this newsgroup.

Several have detailed information on their personal
web pages that you must take advantage of.