This was a "First" for me.

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Maxx

Default This was a "First" for me.

On my last 3 hour layover in Atlanta, I had to use the Men's Room.
There was only one stall available. (No one else waiting).
When I came out, there was a older gentleman with a walker standing
in front of me. He wanted to rip my head off. (I used a handicap stall.)

I politely told him that when there is only one stall open, I wouldn't
pass it up, on the "Off-chance" that a Handicapped person may
come in after me.

He spewed a few obscenities and went in and slammed the door.
The guy at the sink near me said "I hope you didn't use up all
the paper, He'll kill you."

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:22 AM
mrtravel

Maxx wrote:
On my last 3 hour layover in Atlanta, I had to use the Men's Room.
There was only one stall available. (No one else waiting).
When I came out, there was a older gentleman with a walker standing
in front of me. He wanted to rip my head off. (I used a handicap stall.)

I politely told him that when there is only one stall open, I wouldn't
pass it up, on the "Off-chance" that a Handicapped person may
come in after me.

He spewed a few obscenities and went in and slammed the door.
The guy at the sink near me said "I hope you didn't use up all
the paper, He'll kill you."

If it is the only one left, I don't see a problem with it.
After all, the goal is for them to be able to use the restroom, not have
to not wait for it.
Look at all of the wasted handicapped parking there are.

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:29 AM
PeterL

Maxx wrote:
On my last 3 hour layover in Atlanta, I had to use the Men's Room.
There was only one stall available. (No one else waiting).
When I came out, there was a older gentleman with a walker standing
in front of me. He wanted to rip my head off. (I used a handicap stall.)

I politely told him that when there is only one stall open, I wouldn't
pass it up, on the "Off-chance" that a Handicapped person may
come in after me.

He spewed a few obscenities and went in and slammed the door.
The guy at the sink near me said "I hope you didn't use up all
the paper, He'll kill you."

Disabled stalls, unlike disabled parking spaces, are not reserved
solely for the use of the disabled. It's a first come first serve.
Besides, how did he know you were not disabled? Not all disabilities
are visible.

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:30 AM
PeterL

mrtravel wrote:
Maxx wrote:
On my last 3 hour layover in Atlanta, I had to use the Men's Room.
There was only one stall available. (No one else waiting).
When I came out, there was a older gentleman with a walker standing
in front of me. He wanted to rip my head off. (I used a handicap stall.)

I politely told him that when there is only one stall open, I wouldn't
pass it up, on the "Off-chance" that a Handicapped person may
come in after me.

He spewed a few obscenities and went in and slammed the door.
The guy at the sink near me said "I hope you didn't use up all
the paper, He'll kill you."

If it is the only one left, I don't see a problem with it.
After all, the goal is for them to be able to use the restroom, not have
to not wait for it.
Look at all of the wasted handicapped parking there are.

Disabled parking spaces are reserved strictly for the disabled, unlike
restroom stalls.

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:47 AM
mrtravel

PeterL wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Maxx wrote:

[...]

That was the point.. Why can't handicapped parking spaces be used if
they are the only ones available?
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Maxx

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...
PeterL wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Maxx wrote:

[...]

Because it's the law.

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Maxx

"PeterL" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxx wrote:
On my last 3 hour layover in Atlanta, I had to use the Men's Room.
There was only one stall available. (No one else waiting).
When I came out, there was a older gentleman with a walker standing
in front of me. He wanted to rip my head off. (I used a handicap
stall.)

I politely told him that when there is only one stall open, I wouldn't
pass it up, on the "Off-chance" that a Handicapped person may
come in after me.

He spewed a few obscenities and went in and slammed the door.
The guy at the sink near me said "I hope you didn't use up all
the paper, He'll kill you."

Disabled stalls, unlike disabled parking spaces, are not reserved
solely for the use of the disabled. It's a first come first serve.
Besides, how did he know you were not disabled? Not all disabilities
are visible.

It just caught me off guard. I wondered if anyone else ever
ran into this. Maybe the guy was just having an "off" day.

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:54 AM
mrtravel

Maxx wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...

That was the point.. Why can't handicapped parking spaces be used if they
are the only ones available?

Because it's the law.

I meant besides that.
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:57 AM
mrtravel

Maxx wrote:

"PeterL" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxx wrote:

[...]

Maybe you should have asked him if he had seen who had taken your cane.
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Bill Bennett

mrtravel wrote in
m:
That was the point.. Why can't handicapped parking spaces be used if
they are the only ones available?

Because most people use a parking space for a lot longer than they use the
toilet.