This was a "First" for me.

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Alan Street

In article , Maxx
wrote:

€ "PeterL" wrote in message
€ oups.com...

€ Maxx wrote:
€ On my last 3 hour layover in Atlanta, I had to use the Men's Room.
€ There was only one stall available. (No one else waiting).
€ When I came out, there was a older gentleman with a walker standing
€ in front of me. He wanted to rip my head off. (I used a handicap
€ stall.)

€ I politely told him that when there is only one stall open, I wouldn't
€ pass it up, on the "Off-chance" that a Handicapped person may
€ come in after me.

€ He spewed a few obscenities and went in and slammed the door.
€ The guy at the sink near me said "I hope you didn't use up all
€ the paper, He'll kill you."

€ Disabled stalls, unlike disabled parking spaces, are not reserved
€ solely for the use of the disabled. It's a first come first serve.
€ Besides, how did he know you were not disabled? Not all disabilities
€ are visible.

€ It just caught me off guard. I wondered if anyone else ever
€ ran into this. Maybe the guy was just having an "off" day.

I've had it happen before. The guy didn't appreciate it when I reminded
him that handicapped stalls weren't reserved just for them.
Old June 4th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Claim Guy

"Maxx" wrote in message
m...

"PeterL" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxx wrote:
[...]

You shoulda accidentally kicked his walker across the john - the grumpy old
fart.

Old June 4th, 2005, 06:47 AM
TOliver

"Maxx" wrote...

"PeterL" wrote in message ...

Maxx wrote:
[...]

Sadly, for others and for themselves, there are many folks with a variety of
disabilities (and some who simply imagine they are disabled) who view the
world and other folks with a deep bitterness (at their own often self-made
miserable lot in life). They are the folks who spew bile at being forced to
wait for a handicapped john, who line up outside the appropriate local
office with tales of woe and forged or "duressed" doctor's excuses
qualifying them for handicapped parking tags, and an related breed, the fat
broads who take all the electric scooter carts in the supermarket. Being a
veteran, I'm especially sensitive to the sorts of disabled veteran who (at
the expense of thousands of deserving disabled vets) make a major matter of
relatively minor "disabilities".

They are able to get away with a lot of crap and offensive comment, because
most of us draw the line at slapping some poor ******* in a wheelchair up
side the haid.

TMO

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Jim Ley

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:47:34 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

PeterL wrote:
Disabled parking spaces are reserved strictly for the disabled, unlike
restroom stalls.

That was the point.. Why can't handicapped parking spaces be used if
they are the only ones available?

because the problems for an able bodied person from having to park
further away, maybe at an alternative car-park etc. are much less than
the problems suffered by a disabled person.

Jim.
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Joseph Meehan

Maxx wrote:
On my last 3 hour layover in Atlanta, I had to use the Men's Room.
There was only one stall available. (No one else waiting).
When I came out, there was a older gentleman with a walker standing
in front of me. He wanted to rip my head off. (I used a handicap
stall.)

Did he have an official handicap sticker on that walker? I wonder if he
actually qualified as handicapped.

Frankly I would not worry about it. On the other hand if there is a
line and anyone with a walker (even if not "officially" handicaped should
get next available.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Joseph Meehan

mrtravel wrote:
Maxx wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...

That was the point.. Why can't handicapped parking spaces be used if
they are the only ones available?

Because it's the law.

I meant besides that.

Because in the parking lot there are seldom people waiting for a spot
and the handicap spots are reserved because they are closer to the door, as
opposed to the restroom where people may need to wait.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Ralph Holz

Hi,

mrtravel wrote:
Disabled parking spaces are reserved strictly for the disabled, unlike
restroom stalls.

That was the point.. Why can't handicapped parking spaces be used if
they are the only ones available?

Because everyone would do it then, and they would be blocked all the time.

For contact details, please see www.ralphholz.de.
Old June 4th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Brian K

On 06/04/2005 8:20 AM Joseph Meehan performed amanuensis:

Maxx wrote:

[...]

That reminds me of the "Sienfeld" episode where Elane used the
"Handicapped" stall in a restaurant. As I recall she was run out of the
restaurant by an angry mob of disability sympathizers.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old June 5th, 2005, 01:13 AM
john

Maxx wrote:

[...]

I don't think there was such an episode.

You might be thinking of an episode where George parks in a
handicapped spot.
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:36 AM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Brian K wrote:

That reminds me of the "Sienfeld" episode where Elane used the
"Handicapped" stall in a restaurant. As I recall she was run out of the
restaurant by an angry mob of disability sympathizers.

Not in any of MY Seinfeld episodes. There was Elaine trying to borrow
"a square" in the episode The Stall, and there was George parking
illegally in The Handicap Spot.

It is interesting how we "remember" things that never existed. I have
also had those experiences when I KNEW I remembered something - then
proved wrong. Makes my shudder that justice sometimes depends on human
witnesses.
--

The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym