*** France - Advice - Canal Du Midi ***

Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default *** France - Advice - Canal Du Midi ***

Hi fellow world travellers,

We will be traveling to visit "Canal du Midi" in late September,
2008. The plan is to rent bikes (the kind with pedals) in Toulouse
and drop them off in Beziers, and take about 10 relaxing days for the
trip. We are looking for moderately priced rural accommodation and
restaurants, and interesting places to visit within 10-15 km of the
Canal (side trips). Any advice in terms of bike rental, B&B's,
restaurants, side trips and other options would be greatly
appreciated.

Please reply to

Thanks in Advance
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:31:57 +0100, Runge 9 wroteÂ*:

and dont count on this group

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:17:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi fellow world travellers,

We will be traveling to visit "Canal du Midi" in late September,
2008. The plan is to rent bikes (the kind with pedals) in Toulouse and
drop them off in Beziers, and take about 10 relaxing days for the trip.
We are looking for moderately priced rural accommodation and
restaurants, and interesting places to visit within 10-15 km of the
Canal (side trips). Any advice in terms of bike rental, B&B's,
restaurants, side trips and other options would be greatly appreciated.

Unlike cars you easily rent in a town and drop in another one, bike
renters rent on a daily basis and expect you return their bikes in the
same town.
You can easily buy a bike for less than 100 EUR (less than 10 EUR /day).
Here 89.90
http://www.decathlon.fr/FR/rockrider-5-0-h-3792741/
http://www.go-sport.com/tableau-gamm...DULTE-336.html
English version of a useful web site
http://www.midicanal.fr/

A french only page on biking along the canal du midi use babelfish.altavista.com or google translation.
http://www.canalmidi.com/vtt.html
on this site a reference to a bike renting store
http://www.mellowvelos.com/prices.html
10 days 75 EUR but delivery collection charges
Another advice
http://voyageforum.com/voyage/france... elo_D216755/
says : the 50 first kilometers are easy, but near Castelnaudary, the way is very rough especially if you are heavily loaded.
Still in french.
http://vbelmont.club.fr/index.html
http://www.randonnees-haute-garonne....te=3 &niveau=
http://www.routard.com/forum_message...idi_a_velo.htm

Please reply to

Thanks in Advance

Ask on uk.rec.waterways .
--

Martin

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:31:57 +0100, Runge 9 wroteÂ*:

and dont count on this group

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:17:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi fellow world travellers,

We will be traveling to visit "Canal du Midi" in late September,
2008. The plan is to rent bikes (the kind with pedals) in Toulouse and
drop them off in Beziers, and take about 10 relaxing days for the trip.
We are looking for moderately priced rural accommodation and
restaurants, and interesting places to visit within 10-15 km of the
Canal (side trips). Any advice in terms of bike rental, B&B's,
restaurants, side trips and other options would be greatly appreciated.

Please reply to

Another web site
http://www.canal-du-midi.org/en/default.aspx

5 days organized bicycle excursion, bikes included, hotels reserved, baggages carried,
can be customized.

http://www.languedoc-nature.com/fich...almidivelo.htm

Thanks in Advance

Ask on uk.rec.waterways .
--

Martin

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:31:57 +0100, Runge 9 wroteÂ*:

and dont count on this group

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:17:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:
We are looking for moderately priced rural accommodation and
restaurants, and interesting places to visit within 10-15 km of the
Canal (side trips). Any advice in terms of bike rental, B&B's,
restaurants, side trips and other options would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.europe-active.com/fr/_sea...-du-midi-velo/

Ask on uk.rec.waterways .
--

Martin

Old January 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

On Jan 3, 8:17*am, wrote:

[Request snipped]

Am I the only one that's bothered by this?

* * *Please reply to [email address]

To me, this reads: "Send your information only to me. Don't share it
with the group." The whole idea of Usenet is to share information, not
to provide private replies. If everyone emailed their answers, there
wouldn't be much group traffic.

Also, the "Look at me!!!!!!!" asterisks in the subject line bug me as
well. Looked like spam.

Other than that, carry on.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 00:24:40 -0800 (PST), grusl

wrote:

On Jan 3, 8:17 am, wrote:

[Request snipped]

Am I the only one that's bothered by this?

Please reply to [email address]

To me, this reads: "Send your information only to me. Don't share it
with the group." The whole idea of Usenet is to share information, not
to provide private replies. If everyone emailed their answers, there
wouldn't be much group traffic.

Also, the "Look at me!!!!!!!" asterisks in the subject line bug me as
well. Looked like spam.

Other than that, carry on.

He doesn't appear to have asked in uk.rec.waterways, where there are
posters who
reside in boats along CduM.

I saw your suggestion; it was good advice.

It was the original post that I objected to. It asked for replies to be sent
to an email address.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old January 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 10:38:21 +0100, Martin wroteÂ*:

On 05 Jan 2008 07:55:47 GMT, JuanElorza
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:31:57 +0100, Runge 9 wroteÂ*:

and dont count on this group

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:17:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:
We are looking for moderately priced rural accommodation and
restaurants, and interesting places to visit within 10-15 km of the
Canal (side trips). Any advice in terms of bike rental, B&B's,
restaurants, side trips and other options would be greatly
appreciated.

http://www.europe-active.com/fr/_sea...-du-midi-velo/

Ask on uk.rec.waterways .

Plonk!

gRunge remailers are not needed on rte.

Thank for this useful information.
Done.

Cheers
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Jan 5, 12:24 am, grusl wrote:
On Jan 3, 8:17 am, wrote:

[Request snipped]

Am I the only one that's bothered by this?

Please reply to [email address]

To me, this reads: "Send your information only to me. Don't share it
with the group." The whole idea of Usenet is to share information, not
to provide private replies. If everyone emailed their answers, there
wouldn't be much group traffic.

Also, the "Look at me!!!!!!!" asterisks in the subject line bug me as
well. Looked like spam.

Other than that, carry on.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Hi George,

Thanks for the suggestions to direct all responses to the group
and avoid the use of the *** Message ***. In the future, I will
follow them.