Singapore

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:26 AM
bob

Default Singapore

So.....a "traveller" is someone who sits around Thai beach geusthouses,
watching Hollywood movies on the video, drinking Bud, smoking Marlboros,
with rock mucic playing in the background, and ragging on about the package
"tourisits" (who are probably sitting in their hotel lobby watching a Thai
dance performance), and how they aren't seeing the REAL Thailand.
I've run into that more times than I care to remember, and couldn't help but
laugh every time.

Bob
--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...
"patshambler" wrote in message

So don't be a tourist, but a traveller.... yes, and if I start a whole
discussion on the semantics of it, well, so be it!

No need. It's such a simple definition. A traveller is a tourist
travelling on his parent's money, ignoring and often abusing local
people and their traditions, and trying to put on airs by calling
himself a traveller.

That about get it?

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:47 AM
Markku Grönroos

.. .

The American **** is a rarety in Thailand.

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:51 AM
bob

Actually, it's all too easy to find. Though why anyone would want to drink
it is beyond me...

Bob

--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

.. .

Old December 1st, 2003, 10:32 AM
Tchiowa

"bob" wrote in message ...
So.....a "traveller" is someone who sits around Thai beach geusthouses,
watching Hollywood movies on the video, drinking Bud, smoking Marlboros,
with rock mucic playing in the background, and ragging on about the package
"tourisits" (who are probably sitting in their hotel lobby watching a Thai
dance performance), and how they aren't seeing the REAL Thailand.
I've run into that more times than I care to remember, and couldn't help but
laugh every time.

Bob

Excellent definition!
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:34 AM
Tchiowa

"bob" wrote in message ...

Bob
--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Unrelated and off-topic.

What do you use for taking astronomical photographs? I know very
little about the photography side. But I've got a Meade Research
Series 10" Newtonian (yes, that's an old model, but so am I) that I
use for simple viewing. Always wanted to get into photography with it.
I've got all the drives and such.

Any site you can point me to for more info?
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM
Markku Grönroos

"bob" wrote in message
.. .
Actually, it's all too easy to find. Though why anyone would want to drink
it is beyond me...

Budweiser in Thailand? Well, I must disagree.

Old December 1st, 2003, 11:44 PM
bob

Yeah, this certainly is waaaaaaaay off topic, but....

Some of the phots are taken with 35mm film, some with digital cameras, and
some with cooled CCD cameras which were homebuilt specifically for
astrophotography. A digicam is easily the quickest and simplest way to get
into it.
A very good resource to start with is the Yahoo "digital astro" group.

Bob

--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...
"bob" wrote in message

Bob

Old December 4th, 2003, 08:50 AM
alyssa

My dear that is probably because you have an ang moh face.

If you Sumiko's article she also wrote that she could have pretended
to be a Japanese tourist and be treated better.

(Miguel Cruz) wrote in message .. .
alyssa wrote:
An interesting article written by a singapore journalist.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/col...-92481,00.html

I disagree with her accusation of her fellow Singaporeans as unfriendly to
visitors.

Every time I've asked for directions (or just looked around confused) I've
been given accurate assistance with a smile. People often go above and
beyond, walking me to the corner to point out exactly where I should go, or
taking the time to chat about where I'm from and what I think of Singapore.
People working in the food business - particularly in Little India where I
do most of my eating - are always very friendly, even remembering me between
visits that may be spaced years apart.

miguel