16 full days in Vietnam?

Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:25 AM
Maciek Dakowicz

Default 16 full days in Vietnam?

hi,
I have so many questions..
In the middle of December, so in 2 weeks I am going to Vietnam, I am flying
to Ho Chi Minh City and flying out from Hanoi. I really like taking pics,
mostly people, markets, boats... so I am planning to see most lively places
and some scenic spots.
I'll have 16 full days.
I am planning to travel from HCMC to Hanoi on land.
First I am planning to spend maybe 3 days in HCMC, then I want to see Mekong
Delta and then I'll go north... I am sure that I want to visit Halong Bay
and Hanoi, but I am not sure what to see between HCMC and Hanoi.
Also I am not sure how many days I need to explore HCMC, Mekong Delta,
Halong Bay and Hanoi.
Also I am not sure how to travel between HCMC and Hanoi, I've heard about
cheap open-tour bus tickets, but I heard that taking them I may visit plenty
of shops and restaurants on the way, wasting time....
and should I book a hostel now on the internet or I can easily find a cheap
hostel after getting there..?
I don't know much about safety in Vietnam, so is it safe to wander around
with a camera? I got used to it in HK...
any health dangers? I'll take antimalaria drugs.

so, any hints and suggestions?

thanks a lot
Maciek from Hong Kong

Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:49 AM
Miguel Cruz

Maciek Dakowicz wrote:
Also I am not sure how to travel between HCMC and Hanoi, I've heard about
cheap open-tour bus tickets, but I heard that taking them I may visit plenty
of shops and restaurants on the way, wasting time....
and should I book a hostel now on the internet or I can easily find a cheap
hostel after getting there..?
I don't know much about safety in Vietnam, so is it safe to wander around
with a camera? I got used to it in HK...

Traveling there is quite easy and safe, and you can easily book accomodation
as you go - no need to worry about reservations.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:59 AM
Tore Christian Skobba

Maciek from Hong Kong wrote
cut.. 16 days in Vietnam tips ../cut

Hi

I did almost the same trip as you three years ago. I spent 1 month, but it should be possible in a
shorter time.

-HCMC 3 days (including one arrival day)
-Mekong delta 2 day trip
-Hanoi 3 days (including one departure day)
-Halong bay (2-3 days)

That leaves 6-8 days for travel between HCMC and Hanoi.. If going by buss direct it would
probably take you 2-3 days. So you could put in 2 stops maybee. I belive Dalat and Hoi An might
be your stops, other strong runners up are Nha Trang and Hue, but for photos I belive that Dalat
and Hoi An are the best.. However for parties and meeting people Nha Trang was very good. I
would advise you to plan good because your time scheldule has very little slack.

For the travel you could take plain but that would leave out Dalat and Hoi An I belive. So
it's either buss or train, but thats nice because the scenery along the coast is great. Keep
your camera at ready during the trips!.

Cheers
Tore

--
Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.
--Seymore Cray, on virtual memory.

Old December 4th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Orzowei

Open bus ticket is an option if you feel like travelling with other 50
backpackers on a budget, You can take and overnight on the train and reach
Hanoi from Hue or Danang (around 12-13 hours) early in the next morning, I
prefer.