Spain -----> Portugal

Old May 6th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Ben Smith

Default Spain -----> Portugal

Hi,

Im planning to watch some matches of Euro 2004 and i wondered what big
cities in Spain are near to Portugal.

Thanks in advance!,

Regards,

Ben Smith
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM
MH

Ben Smith wrote:
Hi,

Im planning to watch some matches of Euro 2004 and i wondered what big
cities in Spain are near to Portugal.

How big do you mean by Big ? Badajoz is right across the border from
Portugal but is apparently a dump. (Not that big either). Sevilla is not
too far, nor is Vigo (very close to the North) or Salamanca

If you are looking for nice tourist destinations in Spain that aren't
too far from Portugal, the top picks, most of which I have got to visit
this year, would be

Sevilla (in Andalucia - south east of the middle of Portugal -- but
you'll have a map anyway, I hope)

Extremadura (the least settled and visited part of Spain - very
beautiful and quieter and cheaper than many parts) is just to the east
of the middle of Portugal. Nice towns there are Trujillo, Caceres, and
Merida, and the Parque National de Monfrague and Sierra de Gata are
worth a visit

Salamanca (lovely old University city)

Santiago de Compostela (haven't been there, but it has been highly
recommended to me) - in Gallicia just North of Portugal.

Thanks in advance!,

Regards,

Ben Smith

Old May 7th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Mark V.

MH wrote in message ...
Ben Smith wrote:
Hi,

Santiago de Compostela (haven't been there, but it has been highly
recommended to me) - in Gallicia just North of Portugal.

Santiago de Compostela is lovely, and has a maritime-influenced
climate that should be much more bearable than Andalucia in June.
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:40 AM
MMcC

On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:01:45 +0200, MH
wrote:

Salamanca (lovely old University city)

Santiago de Compostela (haven't been there, but it has been highly
recommended to me) - in Gallicia just North of Portugal.

With any luck he might do the whole pilgrimage to Compostela on foot,
starting in Le Puy, and we'd have an extra 3 weeks of Ben Smith-less
bliss.
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:06 AM
john

In message , Mark V.
writes
MH wrote in message
Ben Smith wrote:
Hi,

Santiago de Compostela (haven't been there, but it has been highly
recommended to me) - in Gallicia just North of Portugal.

Santiago de Compostela is lovely, and has a maritime-influenced
climate that should be much more bearable than Andalucia in June.

Santiago is indeed entrancing- but remember that this year is its Holy
Year (Xacobeo) and they are expecting 6 million tourists, so prices will
be high and accommodation scarce. Check it out on
http://www.xacobeo.es/ which is also translated into English if you need
it.

--
John
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Ben Smith

Cheers everyone for the help.

Regards,

Ben Smith
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Noons

but Merida is soooo nice...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
om...

Old May 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Manuel Freitas

wrote:

Salamanca (lovely old University city)

Santiago de Compostela (haven't been there, but it has been highly
recommended to me) - in Gallicia just North of Portugal.

With any luck he might do the whole pilgrimage to Compostela on foot,
starting in Le Puy, and we'd have an extra 3 weeks of Ben Smith-less
bliss.

You people forgot La Corunha. Ironic uh? :-)

- Manuel.
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:52 PM
devil

wrote:

Salamanca (lovely old University city)

Santiago de Compostela (haven't been there, but it has been highly
recommended to me) - in Gallicia just North of Portugal.

With any luck he might do the whole pilgrimage to Compostela on foot,
starting in Le Puy, and we'd have an extra 3 weeks of Ben Smith-less
bliss.

You people forgot La Corunha. Ironic uh? :-)

Small detail, it's usually not spelled in the Portuguese way :-).