What to bring to South Africa

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
krypto

Default What to bring to South Africa

I'm going on a trip to Capetown and KNP for the first time. Is there
something I can bring along to give to local children .... pencils or
candy bars, stuff like that? What are some of the places where I might
run across kids that need stuff?

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Michael Kilpatrick

For what it's worth, my view on this is that it isn't a good idea, as a
tourist, to be handing out gifts to local children - especially candy bars.

If you want to help the local people there are plenty of organisations out
there that would be happy to use a donation from you, or you could even
donate directly to a local school.

Giving gifts directly to children just fosters a culture of dependence that
encourages the children to skip school and hassle tourists.

Just my 2c. Others may have contrary view.

Regards

Michael

Old April 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Come-Along.nl

"Michael Kilpatrick" schreef in bericht
For what it's worth, my view on this is that it isn't a good idea, as a
tourist, to be handing out gifts to local children - especially candy
bars.

If you want to help the local people there are plenty of organisations out
there that would be happy to use a donation from you, or you could even
donate directly to a local school.

Giving gifts directly to children just fosters a culture of dependence
that encourages the children to skip school and hassle tourists.

Just my 2c. Others may have contrary view.

Regards

Michael

I fully agree with Michael. Stop making children depending on gifts! What's
the longterm goal of this handing out sweets?

Old April 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie

I also absolutely agree with Michael. Candy is the worst thing that tourists
(or anyone for that matter) should dish out. It might make YOU feel good,
but the kid is going to suffer in the long run.

I also agree with Michael that donations to local organisations would be a
far better way to make a contribution. Local church groups, feeding schemes,
literacy schemes, AIDS awareness and support groups, etc. etc. etc. all know
exactly where they need to spend money.

There are loads of opportunities for tourists to visit communities and make
a difference. A regular contributor to this NG is Kurt. He's based in Cape
Town, and would know who to get in touch with down there.

Regards,
Marc

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
"Marc Lurie"
wrote:

I also absolutely agree with Michael. Candy is the worst thing that tourists
(or anyone for that matter) should dish out. It might make YOU feel good,
but the kid is going to suffer in the long run.

I also agree with Michael that donations to local organisations would be a
far better way to make a contribution. Local church groups, feeding schemes,
literacy schemes, AIDS awareness and support groups, etc. etc. etc. all know
exactly where they need to spend money.

There are loads of opportunities for tourists to visit communities and make
a difference. A regular contributor to this NG is Kurt. He's based in Cape
Town, and would know who to get in touch with down there.

I agree totally with Michael, Marc etc. There is no point in handing
out gifts willy-nilly to children, but a real value in supporting
long-term development groups.

Slainte

Liz
--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:

Old April 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Ned Abell

In article ,
Liz Leyden wrote:
In message
"Marc Lurie"
wrote:

I also absolutely agree with Michael. Candy is the worst
thing that tourists (or anyone for that matter) should
dish out. It might make YOU feel good, but the kid is
going to suffer in the long run.

I also agree with Michael that donations to local
organisations would be a far better way to make a
contribution. Local church groups, feeding schemes,
literacy schemes, AIDS awareness and support groups, etc.
etc. etc. all know exactly where they need to spend money.

There are loads of opportunities for tourists to visit
communities and make a difference. A regular contributor
to this NG is Kurt. He's based in Cape Town, and would
know who to get in touch with down there.

I agree totally with Michael, Marc etc. There is no point
in handing out gifts willy-nilly to children, but a real
value in supporting long-term development groups.

Can I suggest Room to Read
www.roomtoread.org/countries/south_africa.html which I can
vouch for as a charity we have supported in Morocco which has
impeccable credentials

--
besters
Ned

(this email address is unused)

Old April 9th, 2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné

"krypto" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
I'm going on a trip to Capetown and KNP for the first time. Is there
something I can bring along to give to local children .... pencils or
candy bars, stuff like that? What are some of the places where I might
run across kids that need stuff?

If you want to help the local people... they have more needs then candy bars
and pencils. There are in every rural village organisations where you can
contribute towards the fight against HIV/AIDS, Tbc etc.

If you go in at the Kruger gate near Hazyview, you pass 1 or 2 townships.

Enjoy your stay.

Regards from the bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old April 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 7:01 pm, "krypto" wrote:
I'm going on a trip to Capetown and KNP for the first time. Is there
something I can bring along to give to local children .... pencils or
candy bars, stuff like that? What are some of the places where I might
run across kids that need stuff?

That's a terrible idea. You don't want the local children to learn
that begging is the way to get what they want...or to think that
Westerners are there to bring them gifts. Candy bars are an
especially bad idea since many poor children won't have access to
dentistry. If you want to help, contribute to charities which are
active there, especially charities run by locals.

Old April 9th, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
rocketscience

On Apr 9, 12:11 pm, "Corné" wrote:
"krypto" schreef in ooglegroups.com...

I'm going on a trip to Capetown and KNP for the first time. Is there
something I can bring along to give to local children .... pencils or
candy bars, stuff like that? What are some of the places where I might
run across kids that need stuff?

If you want to help the local people... they have more needs then candy bars
and pencils. There are in every rural village organisations where you can
contribute towards the fight againstHIV/AIDS, Tbc etc.

If you go in at the Kruger gate near Hazyview, you pass 1 or 2 townships.

Enjoy your stay.

Regards from the bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/297/8/805

Presenting Plasma HIV RNA Level and Rate of CD4 T-Cell Decline

To the Editor: The study by Dr Rodriguez and colleagues1 concludes
that presenting human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) plasma RNA viral
load only minimally predicts the rate of CD4 cell decline in
individuals with HIV infection and hypothesizes that a significant
(90%) amount of HIV disease progression and pathogenesis is
*****due to factors other than viral load.******

The results are portrayed as casting doubt on the utility of an early
viral load measurement to predict disease outcome in individuals.

CONCLUSIONS: Presenting HIV RNA level predicts the rate of CD4 cell
decline only minimally in untreated persons. Other factors, as yet
undefined, likely drive CD4 cell losses in HIV infection.

http://www.aidsfraudvideo.com
Important video relating to HIV and AIDS.

rocketscience