Strike in SA affecting tourism?

Old June 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Strike in SA affecting tourism?

Already the strike is affecting the workers more than it is affecting
Joe Average. Many workers have had to resort to unscrupulous micro
lenders (loan sharks) because they're not being paid. Even if they get
all their demands met, they'll be worse off than before the strike.

I had a colleague come in to OR Tambo Airport yesterday, and he said
that it looked quite normal and there were no unusual delays.

Isn't it ironic that the skeleton staff during a strike work at about
the same pace as the normal workforce? :-)

Marc

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:08:09 +0200, Wildpicture
wrote:

Marc Lurie schreef:
The latest on the strike... taken from "News 24" I think.
Immigration officials join strike

snip
"The decision will without any doubt affect our competitiveness as a
country, more especially at our airports with the immigration and
customs personnel also downing tools," said Thakhuli.

Not to pleased to hear this. Hope they resolve things soon. Of course
for the workers and the government. But also because standing in a queue
at Jo'burg Intl for a long time with two little children after having
traveled about 20 hours, is not something to look forward to. :-(

Regards,
Hans

Old June 19th, 2007, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné.

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
Of course you meant E-TV? E-TV is a privately owned company as well,
and is not state-owned at all.

As I wrote:

Sorry, I meant E-TV (49) off course

Multichoice is owned by MIH, which is owned by Naspers. Naspers isn't
a BEE company, but I think Multichoice may well be. What's your point?
A BEE company is still a privately owned company.

Well, BEE is Black empowerment, and they might have other political vieuws
then indepedent newstations, for example?

Corne, my intention was never to sound like Cecil Rhodes myself. I was
in fact saying that YOU sound like Rhodes/Ian Smith/PW
Botha/Mitterand/Salazar etc. when you use terms like "the African
culture"

I never 'sound' like that, but if you write things like: ...

"Or is your reference to "the African culture" simply your equivalent
of the French "Les noires" or the Portuguese "Pretos"? There are
several other terms that are used around the world, but I'd prefer not
to mention them on this NG.

"

.... then I wonder if one can sue you for this!

Your later use of "But again, this is Africa, and in the ANC
organisation there is an african way of democracy." shows that you
have lumped all of Africa into one category. Again, you are much
mistaken. There is no such thing as "african way of democracy".

There is a thing as the african way of democracy. But you need to get out of
your comfortzone, and have an open minded policy towards africans. Mayeb
their lies your problem?

Enough words spent.

Best regards, from the african bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:53:47 +0200, Corné.
wrote:

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
. ..
1) MNET is not a stste owned company. It is privately owned by
Multichoice.

Sorry, I meant E-TV (49) off course, and you must have Sattelite TV to
receive MNET. Isn't Multichoice a BEE owned company?

2) What do you mean by "the African culture"?

Diificult to descibe, I mean offcourse the black culture in SA, and I am
aware the Zulu culture is quit different to that of the Xhosa. But there
are
many things in common: Ubuntu, traditional believe mixed with christian
believe, looking back in their past to explain current event etc. Very
interresting, and I am in a lucky position to learn every day.

Or is your reference to "the African culture" simply your equivalent
of the French "Les noires" or the Portuguese "Pretos"? There are
several other terms that are used around the world, but I'd prefer not
to mention them on this NG.

Now you sound like an old colonial type of Cecil Rhodes.... I am not
lowering myself to that level.

3) Are you claiming that the DA is not African?

You are putting words in my mouth, things I have never said nor written
down. DA is by the way my party.

Can you point me to ANY political
organisation worldwide that doesn't form one block when faced by
opposition?

The shameless actions of the ANC regarding Zimbabwe ('free and fair
elections'), regarding AIDS/HIV, regarding Zuma and the criticism
wordlwide
regarding crime is imho not comparable with modern Europe. But again, this
is Africa, and in the ANC organisation there is an african way of
democracy.
In a country which was ruled by white minorities for hundred's of years,
it
is now up to the ANC to make it's own mistakes. Like when you have
children
you don't want to make the same mistakes your parents made, but anyway...
you will make mistakes.

At the end, I don't think generally the strike in SA will have an impact
on
tourism. Those are my final thoughts on this subject.

Have a good life!

Corné.

www.amukela.com

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:14:39 +0200, Corné
wrote:
SNIP

Yes, the SABC is state-owned, as is MNET (these can be received with a
normal areal).
To understand the ANC you have to understand the African culture, within
the
ANC there is a strong democracy, but towards the outworld (DA, the
media,
foreign media etc.) the form one block.
SNIP
Regards from the bush, lovely stars now!!

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Corne, if you feel like you need to sue me, go ahead. But if you have
no intention of sueing me, then don't threaten.

SNIP

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné[_3_]

Marc, if somebody you don't know writes this about you:

"Or is your reference to "the African culture" simply your equivalent
of the French "Les noires" or the Portuguese "Pretos"? There are
several other terms that are used around the world, but I'd prefer not
to mention them on this NG.

How would that make you feel? How would your great friend Holgate think
about that, or you comrades at Laradio??

Think about that.

Corné.

"Marc Lurie" marc.laradio.co.za wrote in message
news
Corne, if you feel like you need to sue me, go ahead. But if you have
no intention of sueing me, then don't threaten.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:26:22 +0200, Corné.

SNIP

Old June 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné[_3_]

I had a colleague come in to OR Tambo Airport yesterday, and he said
that it looked quite normal and there were no unusual delays.

I hope so, in July and August they are expecting more then 5,7 million
visitors!!

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old June 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Strike in SA finally over

I've just heard on the radio that the strike is now over. No details,
but at least it's over.

As it happens, I wasn't affected in any way by the strike. All it did
was to convince me that the current union system is founded on
croneyism, intimidation, and a complete lack of understanding of
macro-economics.

Marc

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 20:48:19 +0200, Wildpicture
wrote:

Is the general strike in the public sector in South Africa affecting
tourism at the moment?

I am thinking about customs officials at airports, air traffic control,
baggage handling, etc? Anything involving air traffic and airports? What
about staff of SANP (are they still in government service)?

Regards,
Hans