For Marc Lurie...

Old April 10th, 2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Default For Marc Lurie...

Liz Leyden schreef:
As you know, early July will be cold, and coming from sunny Europe will
be a bit of a shocker ;-)
Winters in southern Africa are lovely. Warm and sunny during the day and
cool nights to sleep well. The perfect climate for me! :-)

I've met several people from Cape Town in Kenya in July because
(according to them) the weather is so bad in Cape Town then.
I suppose it all depends what you're used to.

I have once spent a few nights on top of the Drakenberge on the border
of KZN and Lesotho in July. That was COLD! :-)

Regards,
Hans
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:15 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:29:04 +0100, Liz Leyden
wrote:

I've met several people from Cape Town in Kenya in July because
(according to them) the weather is so bad in Cape Town then.

SNIP

Liz, Cape Town's weather in July is attrocious. It rains all the time
and there's always mist and cold conditions. The whole place is a
damp, cold, soggy horrible place at that time of year. A bit like
autumn in London ;-0

Johannesburg gets cold on winter nights but it's often quite pleasant
during the day. The problem is that we have single figure humidity
during winter, and your skin dries up very quickly, making the cold
very bitter.

Kwazulu Natal and the norther parts are fantastic in winter.

Lesotho in winter is potentially very dangerous as evidenced by the 20
or so herdboys and thousands of sheep who were killed in snowfalls a
few years back.

Regards,
Marc
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott Elliot

We live in Canada, so we are used to reasonably cool winters. My wife
visited her parents in Port Elizabeth in early August, 2002 and found the
cold weather very uncomfortable. The houses are not built with proper
heating, so when it get cold there is no way to warm up the buildings. You
just have to wear sweaters and coats in he house.

By the time I arrived and we got to Namaqualand the cold wet weather had
resulted in an incredible flower display. We also travelled north to
Kgalagadi NP where the weather was very pleasant, but when we returned to
Port Elizabeth in late September the weather was still not suitable for
beach parties.

Scott

Old April 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:14:29 GMT, "Scott Elliot"
wrote:

We live in Canada, so we are used to reasonably cool winters. My wife
visited her parents in Port Elizabeth in early August, 2002 and found the
cold weather very uncomfortable. The houses are not built with proper
heating, so when it get cold there is no way to warm up the buildings. You
just have to wear sweaters and coats in he house.

By the time I arrived and we got to Namaqualand the cold wet weather had
resulted in an incredible flower display. We also travelled north to
Kgalagadi NP where the weather was very pleasant, but when we returned to
Port Elizabeth in late September the weather was still not suitable for
beach parties.

Scott

Scott, that's the problem in a nutshell. Our winters are short so we
don't bother with double glazing and 24 hour interior heating. I guess
it takes a bit of getting used to, to wear a sweater indoors :-)

I find that the north American habit of over-heating interiors quite
uncomfortable, as you're constantly peeling off clothing when you go
inside, and then putting it all back on again when you go inside.

You saw one of the true wonders of nature in Namaqualand.

The weather on the SA coastline below 32 degrees south is not great
between June and September, but it's FANTASTIC between October andMay
:-)

Marc
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott Elliot

wrote:

The weather on the SA coastline below 32 degrees south is not great
between June and September, but it's FANTASTIC between October andMay
:-)

Marc

That is good news. My in-laws 60th wedding anniversary is October 2 in Port
Elizabeth. We will arrive in Jo'berg September 5, rent a car and plan to
drive via Blyde River Canyon, Kruger, Swaziland, beach near Durban (wife's
requirement), Lesotho and arrive in PE the week before October 2. I will
visit for a week after the anniversary and my wife for two weeks.

Any comments or recommendations for this trip?

Scott

Old April 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

It sounds like a very nice trip.

I'd recommend that you travel from Durban area to PE via the Wild
Coast. Places like Mazeppa Bay, Coffee Bay, Qora Mouth etc. are great
to visit.

Lesotho is good to drive through. If you enter from the north at
Ficksburg or Maseru you can tavel through the country, and exit at one
of the more adventurous exits such as SaniPass or Ramatseliso's Gate.
(these lead into Natal and Eastern Cape respectively). But you will
need a 4x4 vehicle for these exits.

Cheers,
Marc
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:50:01 GMT, "Scott Elliot"
wrote:

.. .