What do you think if you meet a barefoot backpacker?

Old September 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Barefoot Jens

Default What do you think if you meet a barefoot backpacker?

I'm travelling a lot, mainly in Asia and especially in India. I'm an
average guy in my 30ties, and there's nothing unusual about the way I
dress while travelling: Shorts, a colourful, short-sleeved shirt, a
rustic tribal necklace, a leather bracelet and my huge backpack...
Nevertheless: I'm arresting attention wherever I go, and even complete
strangers ask me curious questions. The reason: My size 45 feet are
always bare! Yes, I'm travelling barefoot - everywhe I've covered
thousands of kilometres on my bare soles, without any footwear in my
backpack... "Barefoot, free and happy", that's my motto! I wonder: What
do you think if you see a barefoot backpacker like me? My evenly
tanned, strong feet are almost always dusty, with soles black as coal
- but they are decorated with toe rings, a colourful hemp-anklet and
tiny little bells. Imagine you meet me on the road, somewhere in
India: Will you think "hey, this guy is cool"?

Old September 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Barefoot Jens" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm travelling a lot, mainly in Asia and especially in India. I'm an
average guy in my 30ties, and there's nothing unusual about the way I
dress while travelling: Shorts, a colourful, short-sleeved shirt, a
rustic tribal necklace, a leather bracelet and my huge backpack...

If you think that's not unusual in India I suggest you don't travel much in
India.

Try wearing khaki poly-cotton trousers and a plain coloured long sleeved
shirt with a stiff collar and bare feet.

Nobody will even notice you, even with the pack.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 12th, 2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:19:23 -0700, Barefoot Jens
wrote:

[...]

Nah, I'd look around for the cameras.

I'd think someone in the area was making the "Hobbit"
prequel to Lord of the Rings. Although I suspect that Bilbo
was a much more conservative dresser.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Sep 11, 11:19 pm, Barefoot Jens wrote:
I'm travelling a lot, mainly in Asia and especially in India. I'm an
average guy in my 30ties, and there's nothing unusual about the way I
dress while travelling: Shorts, a colourful, short-sleeved shirt, a
rustic tribal necklace, a leather bracelet and my huge backpack...

Nothing "unusual"??? You sound like a one of those self-proclaimed
"travellers" who dress and act with such disrespect to locals that
they are mocked behind their backs.

Nevertheless: I'm arresting attention wherever I go, and even complete
strangers ask me curious questions. The reason: My size 45 feet are
always bare! Yes, I'm travelling barefoot - everywhe I've covered
thousands of kilometres on my bare soles, without any footwear in my
backpack... "Barefoot, free and happy", that's my motto! I wonder: What
do you think if you see a barefoot backpacker like me?

I think that I wish it wasn't illegal in some countries to run you
down with my car.

My evenly
tanned, strong feet are almost always dusty, with soles black as coal
- but they are decorated with toe rings, a colourful hemp-anklet and
tiny little bells. Imagine you meet me on the road, somewhere in
India: Will you think "hey, this guy is cool"?

No, I'll think "what a wierdo".

Old September 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Sep 11, 6:19 pm, Barefoot Jens wrote:
What do you think if you see a barefoot backpacker like me?

Mixed feelings. I grew up in colonial surroundings and I have been
taught to always dress properly in public. Knee socks with your
shorts. Frequent changes, at least for dinner and after a ride or a
drive at midday. Shoes as soon as you leave your own premises. I
manage to do that even now, and in the remotest of backwaters.
Over the years I have grown accustomed to see Europeans from the home
countries relax dress codes up to the point were they don local
fashion, trinkets, body paint etc. My fellow Dutchmen are especially
prone to this kind of behaviour.
As a young man I used to shun away from them but with age I have grown
more tolerant.
If that's what makes you feel comfortable or boosts your self-esteem,
by all means do as you like. But let there be no misunderstanding. It
does not win you the esteem of the locals. If they don't laugh in your
face they will ridicule you soon as you turn your back. Also, I feel
that their disrespect spills off on Europeans in general and may
explain at least in part the arrogance with which we are sometimes
treated in these countries. (Not much of a problem for me though, I
always put them in their place quickly :-)