Ever lost your credit cards or ID while traveling?

Old January 9th, 2004, 04:01 AM
MarcB

Default Ever lost your credit cards or ID while traveling?

(Steve) wrote in message . com...
Do people ever worry when their traveling what would happen if they
lost their credit cards or ID? That's what happened to me! I didn't
know who to call to report my cards stolen, or how to get a new
passport, or what to do to make sure someone didn't use my passport
and SSN to steal my identity!

I had two experiences of this type.
I was in Jihlava, Czech Republic on Good Friday 2000. I was returning
to my hotel around 11:00 PM when I heard drums. Looking down the side
street I saw a Torch light procession of people in Medieval costumes.
I ran down several blocks zigzagging closer and trying to get ahead of
the procession while pulling out my camera and mounting the flash. I
got ahead of it started shooting, ran ahead a block or so shot a few
more exposures and ran ahead again. I was running through this park
in the dark and I ran right into a concrete bench and went tumbling
head over heels. The contents of my photo vest and pockets scattered
everywhere. People were holding their torches low to help me find
everything. But the next morning I was missing my Passport.
We went on to our next stop, Kutna Hora. I phoned the US Embassy in
Prague. But they were closed for the weekend. So On Monday we drove
there and it was closed for a Czech National holiday. So we drove to
Prague on Tuesday and applied for a replacement. It was a simple
process and took less than an hour. I had a photostatic copy of the
Passport which helped. After I filled out the application this very
attractive and very patrician appearing woman came out and introduced
herself as a vice-consul. She started making seemingly pointless
small talk. She had been raised near the town that I had been raised
in and asked which Highschool I went to, things we had in common etc.
Later I concluded that this was just a non-intrusive test to confirm
that I was a genuine American citizen. About 5 weeks after we
returned home I received an envelope from the Embassy in Prague. In
the envelope was my original Passport with three holes punched in it.

The second experience was during the Festival of the Five Petaled Rose
in Cesky Krumlov, in the 2002. After waiting in a crowded line I
discovered my wallet was missing. It probably was pick-pocketed. But
to be honest I was paying a lot more attention to an extremely short
skirt on a pair of very long legs than to putting my wallet away..
When I travel I use a very cheap nylon wallet I bought at a Goodwill
store. I only carry in it what I need for immediate use, everything
else was in my money belt. So I lost an ATM card, and a few dollars.
I phoned my bank at home and canceled the ATM card. So it was not a
great inconvenience.

In addition to the above precautions I carry several photocopies of
Credit card info, airline tickets, travelers checks, Calif. Drivers
license, International Drivers license, Itinerary (including all
accommodation reservations with contact numbers), Contact numbers for
friends and family back home. I carry complete sets of the above in
my suitcase, my wife's suitcase, and one in my daypack. We used to
also have a set of Travelers checks in my wife's name and a set in
mine. Now they have travelers checks with two signatures so we don't
need two sets. But we do divide them up. One of the events I try to
prepare for is not simply losing something. But also the possibility
that we may become separated through accident. I want to make sure
that neither of us is entirely dependent on what the other carries.
We seldom end up using travelers checks. But I like having them for
an emergency back up.
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Owain

"Liz" wrote
| "cb" wrote:
| Most ATMs beep and keep on beeping until you pull the card
| Really?
| Not around here!
| Three beeps is your limit IME.

All the British ATMs I've used return the card first, and only if the card
is pulled from the slot does the cash emerge. If the card isn't pulled
quickly enough then the machine swallows it again and holds on to the cash.

Owain

Old January 10th, 2004, 01:13 PM
JohnM

My account of being robbed from credit cards, passport,
travellers cheques, air tickets, camera, portable CDs etc in
Bolivia (and what happened afterwards) appeared some time ago
in rec.travel.latin-america, but it may interest others in other
rec.travel newsgroups.

Here is the URL

http://www.scroll.demon.co.uk/satrip/chap7.htm

Beware, it's rather long.